Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know John Carlson has said before that he thinks this forum is full of nasty people, so I don't want to add to that reputation, but when I see him do interviews I always wonder if he knows as little about what people want from Pentax as it seems like he does, or if he's just toeing the company line, so to speak.

01-12-2012, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Jumping off a bridge is a bold move. Performing seppuku is a bold move. No reason though to actually do either. Like the Q.
A bigger sensor and the Q is a hit.

Small sensor + big price = fail.
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I know John Carlson has said before that he thinks this forum is full of nasty people, so I don't want to add to that reputation, but when I see him do interviews I always wonder if he knows as little about what people want from Pentax as it seems like he does, or if he's just toeing the company line, so to speak.
I bet his leash is pretty short. He's middle management (or atleast below the top dog) at one local distributing daughter company. What he can say is defined elsewhere.
01-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I think there's a interesting line from the John Carlson quote about the Kr:

QuoteQuote:
JC: That's one where the production is finished with that product. I hesitate to call it "discontinued," because there is still product in the channel. Obviously, there's material or product available out there, and it's still a great camera. It's still a very capable camera. As far as a replacement to that, I can't address that. I wouldn't call the Q a replacement for that.
It may be an admission that the Km, K2000, Kx Kr line is no longer competitive against the micro 4/3, Fuji and Sony compact mirrorless cameras.

I've got this hunch that the replacement for the Kr is a mirrorless compact camera from Pentax - Yeah!!! The two options for its lenses are 1) K mount, or 2) a new mount design with a K mount adapter. They probably won't do 2) because of the overlap with GXR. But 1) would be interesting.

01-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Sux when your very own customers critically, rationally and very publicly rebuke your company's business strategy, doesn't it? I recall JC had a member profile here where he would answer questions - as long as we adhered to the admonishment that we be polite, not overly critical and not expect timely repsonses to our questions.

That lasted about - what? - a week?
01-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's sad actually.
IMHO, a 300/2.8 is a thing of the past where film was slow and image stabilization the exception.

IMHO, the thing to do is Falk Lumo: A hypothetical Pentax DFA* 500mm F5.6 ED(IF) SDMii
This is the sort of lens in which I would be highly interested, thanks for the reminder for this link.

I already have a DA*300/4 and also use a AF-A 1.7X Pentax adapter BUT !!! ... if I could go without a TC at that (500mm) focal length, I'd be one happy camper.
I am presently loking at a Sigma 500/4.5 but Ouch! the price!

Give me a high quality 500/5.6 such as the one you describe and of course I would be buying the Pentax lens.

Cheers!

JP
01-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sux when your very own customers critically, rationally and very publicly rebuke your company's business strategy, doesn't it? I recall JC had a member profile here where he would answer questions - as long as we adhered to the admonishment that we be polite, not overly critical and not expect timely repsonses to our questions.

That lasted about - what? - a week?
Yeah why would you want to know what your customers really want

I will give him the nature of forums is they can get nasty and it's not productive. but his skin is pretty thin. the big issue is of course that being mid level like he is he can't really tell us much we don't already know without going higher for approval to release info.
it's the Japanese end we need represented here

01-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #53

I would settle for a 400 f5,6 with better sdm sistem than the 300's one but I think that a 300-500 (or 200-400) f4-5,6 would be a best seller
01-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #54

Original Poster
Still no news on the original Japanese article? I assume the Japanese are all in bed now
01-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think there's a interesting line from the John Carlson quote about the Kr:

It may be an admission that the Km, K2000, Kx Kr line is no longer competitive against the micro 4/3, Fuji and Sony compact mirrorless cameras.
It certainly doesn't sound like that.
It's standard procedure, to stop making cameras soon-to-be-replaced; they did it with every model. And the K-r will be replaced by another DSLR.

But on this forum, everything is a sign they'll go full-mirrorless
01-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

But on this forum, everything is a sign they'll go full-mirrorless
Or K mount lenses are discontinued, or Pentax is going out of business....
01-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
A bigger sensor and the Q is a hit.

Small sensor + big price = fail.
I would love nothing more than to see a larger Q style camera that is K-mount and has a APS-C sensor!
01-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Or K mount lenses are discontinued, or Pentax is going out of business....
Now stop that, Steve! Some here cannot seem to recognize your tongue when it retreats into your cheek.
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I bet there are by now several "Breaking news: K-mount lenses discontinued, Pentax is going out of business" threads on dpreview, linking to Steve's post. By morning (GMT+3 here) someone will post about it here - and the circle will be complete
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Jumping off a bridge is a bold move. Performing seppuku is a bold move. No reason though to actually do either. Like the Q.
The fastest way to shut down innovation in a company is to criticize or punish it when it doesn't work out.

I'm not suggesting that Q was a great idea. I don't know that and I'm not sure we ever will, not knowing the opportunity cost that members here refer to..

But I'd rather that they try some new and risky ideas (some of which will surely fail) on occasion than to sit on their hands waiting until they've proved that the next decision is certain to be a winner. I worked for a company like that - once the country's largest (~ 1 M employees) - and saw it sold for a dime on the proverbial dollar.