Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
I am with Falconeye and ogl in this one, 200-500/5,6 is quite versatile and with a longe reach. A good sealing and a faster Autofocus might wrap it up and with a pricing around 2-3k it is "affordable"
300/f2,8 is someting "special", for some really rare occasions...

I think today a good TC is absolutly useful, because it "doubles" your Lens-Lineup....

And i think with the Q they did it the wrong way around, they should have based the body for around 399€, maybee 499€ with a standart lens, and the additional lenses maybe a bit more expensive, or with the same price(as they are now), but sorry, why should ANYONE buy this cute thing when he can have almost everything the Q offers for less then half the price?

Ok it is small, it is cute, it does have some functions other P&S lag, but seriously?!
I agree. I don't know what their pricing determinations were, but I would think a better strategy would have been to sell the body and 50 mm equivalent lens at a lower price as an entry point into the system -- everyone who owns the Q seems to like it, the problem is not enough people own it.

01-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #77
Veteran Member

The Q was not design for the American market, this was made mainly for the Asian market were they like miniaturation and gadget.
THis is also interesting reading regarding market share in Japan
Year in Review (Episode #2): Big in Japan:: Mirrorless Gains, M43rds Wins Mirrorless segment - 1001 Noisy Cameras
he last graph show Pentax the bottom blue line gaining up to 5% market share at the end of 2011 but not sure . Could it be the Q, if so that a great success when you start with 0
See
2011??????????????????????????????????
01-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys ought to be happy with this article in that now you know they are not ditching K mount for sure. So my prediction is that the next K body will be an APS-C, which most of you guys will not like. Or, next K body is a K-r replacement with a larger viewfinder with APS-C. I wonder if they really will replace K-5 . . . .
01-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, this reference to the tele that they are working on . . . I think this was for the Q mount, although it is a bit vague the way it was written . . . . But they talk about a tele that you can put in your pocket. I doubt that K mount tele can be fit in your pocket.

01-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #80

Photos: Gallery
Looking at the FA primes and converting to the APS-C sensor size I think were also missing the equivalent of the 28, 35, and 43mm lenses on FF.

I'd most like to see the equivalent of the 43mm (~28mm) in a weather sealed version.
01-12-2012, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm really looking forward to another thread covering the same 6 topics over and over
01-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
Looking at the FA primes and converting to the APS-C sensor size I think were also missing the equivalent of the 28, 35, and 43mm lenses on FF.

I'd most like to see the equivalent of the 43mm (~28mm) in a weather sealed version.
So do I.

01-12-2012, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

I was pretty upset by the interview, to be honest. I honestly think I am going to get to the point where it is necessary for me to switch brands. I'm in the film production business, and there is something to be said for using an "acceptable" brand of equipment. There are instances right now in which someone will get a gig because they use a certain camera (i.e. Canon 7D).

From what Carlson said, it doesn't look like Pentax is even interested in being a part of the conversation when it comes to video production. And he is kidding himself if he thinks many professionals would prefer to have to set an auto-i.s.o. range, then switch modes to video, then hope the auto i.s.o. is set to the i.s.o. they want to use, rather than simply being able to set the i.s.o. themselves. That is a joke, and it is embarrassing to have to work that way.

The fact that Pentax would send a representative to a show without giving any positive news seems ridiculous to me. What are they hoping to achieve, showing up and saying "well, we have nothing to tell our you." Saying that they're "looking at" longer lenses for the Q and K mounts, and that full frame "is out there," or whatever he said?

It all seems ridiculous to me. I can't believe they wouldn't send him out with a message like "we are doing our best to make the most dynamic, exciting, high-quality imaging products we can make," or "we are working to become a leader in the photographic industry over the next few years."

They are literally not giving us any indication that they are interested in being a leader in APS-C. Nothing. 645? yes, absolutely. The Q? Interesting. APS-C? We don't even know what the next camera will be. And, aside from the degree of quality, is there anything particularly innovative about the K5?

If that guy is there senior manager of sales and marketing, it is no wonder they are not selling better or marketing at all. I can't believe they would be happy with this guy.

To put it another way: do you think there is anyone out there who uses another brand who would read that interview, then say "wow, Pentax sounds interesting -I'd like to check out some their cameras."

Excitement is contagious. There is no better way to induce excitement about your products than to be excited yourself. Carlson actually says he's "cautiously optimistic" about industry, but not that he's excited about anything.

In contrast: Canon announced that their C300 was going to be a landmark event in the history of cinema. Fuji marketed a $1200 fixed lens as some sort of classy step forward in camera development. Same thing with the X-Pro 1. Hasselblad and Leica market themselves as premium brands. Sony markets themselves as "the future."

Pentax says "a high quality lens is going to give you better results than a compact camera where it's all combined together..."

"think we're pretty confident with our current direction with the APS-C and the 645, because we're addressing the consumer market as well the professional market."

"Obviously, there's material or product available out there, and it's still a great camera. It's still a very capable camera."

"You just look at what we have available, that's definitely where I would say we have a hole that I hope we explore."

[about video control features]"...I think what's important is to realize that while that stuff is... would be nice to have, it's not absolutely necessary."

"...our cameras are definitely very capable."

These are not the types of message the industry leaders are sending.
01-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I was pretty upset by the interview, to be honest. I honestly think I am going to get to the point where it is necessary for me to switch brands. I'm in the film production business, and there is something to be said for using an "acceptable" brand of equipment. There are instances right now in which someone will get a gig because they use a certain camera (i.e. Canon 7D).

From what Carlson said, it doesn't look like Pentax is even interested in being a part of the conversation when it comes to video production. And he is kidding himself if he thinks many professionals would prefer to have to set an auto-i.s.o. range, then switch modes to video, then hope the auto i.s.o. is set to the i.s.o. they want to use, rather than simply being able to set the i.s.o. themselves. That is a joke, and it is embarrassing to have to work that way.

The fact that Pentax would send a representative to a show without giving any positive news seems ridiculous to me. What are they hoping to achieve, showing up and saying "well, we have nothing to tell our you." Saying that they're "looking at" longer lenses for the Q and K mounts, and that full frame "is out there," or whatever he said?

It all seems ridiculous to me. I can't believe they wouldn't send him out with a message like "we are doing our best to make the most dynamic, exciting, high-quality imaging products we can make," or "we are working to become a leader in the photographic industry over the next few years."

They are literally not giving us any indication that they are interested in being a leader in APS-C. Nothing. 645? yes, absolutely. The Q? Interesting. APS-C? We don't even know what the next camera will be. And, aside from the degree of quality, is there anything particularly innovative about the K5?

If that guy is there senior manager of sales and marketing, it is no wonder they are not selling better or marketing at all. I can't believe they would be happy with this guy.

To put it another way: do you think there is anyone out there who uses another brand who would read that interview, then say "wow, Pentax sounds interesting -I'd like to check out some their cameras."

Excitement is contagious. There is no better way to induce excitement about your products than to be excited yourself. Carlson actually says he's "cautiously optimistic" about industry, but not that he's excited about anything.

In contrast: Canon announced that their C300 was going to be a landmark event in the history of cinema. Fuji marketed a $1200 fixed lens as some sort of classy step forward in camera development. Same thing with the X-Pro 1. Hasselblad and Leica market themselves as premium brands. Sony markets themselves as "the future."

Pentax says "a high quality lens is going to give you better results than a compact camera where it's all combined together..."

"think we're pretty confident with our current direction with the APS-C and the 645, because we're addressing the consumer market as well the professional market."

"Obviously, there's material or product available out there, and it's still a great camera. It's still a very capable camera."

"You just look at what we have available, that's definitely where I would say we have a hole that I hope we explore."

[about video control features]"...I think what's important is to realize that while that stuff is... would be nice to have, it's not absolutely necessary."

I don't think the company really knows where it is going. If they had direction we would know it. Everyone knows what direction Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji, Canon, Nikon, & Sony are headed. We know what they plan to develop and we have "road maps" to tell us what and when to expect it. I understand Canon and Nikon guarding their future products. They have big targets on their backs. Pentax...... not so much.

I don't think Pentax is in a position to pull that off yet. Pentax is busy being Canon/Nikon - junior so they wont know what they are doing until they see Nikon or Canon do it.. Sony is off working on SLT (for better or worse) and NEX. Olympus and Panasonic are both committed to M4/3 and are growing very well. The E-P3, 12mm f/2, & 45mm f/1.8 have been very successful. Panasonic is doing really well with HD video, and its GX-1 looks like a very solid performer for M4/3. Canon rolled out the 1DX and Nikon the D4 to strengthen their hold on the professions sports and PJ market. Fuji has vaulted itself into the conversation with the X100 and now the XP1. Fuji probably will not produce enough XP1's to make a dent in market share, but they will sell everyone they make for a hefty margin. Fuji might have just put the first really professional grade EVIL on the market.

I hope I am wrong. I hope the reason Pentax is so quiet is because they have something so cool and revolutionary ready to launch that they are laying low and plan on stealing the show next month, but I get the feeling that is not the case. I think they are going to warm up their existing product lines with a new Sony sensor and call it a day. Nothing wrong with that. The K-5 will be a great camera with the new 24MP sensor, assuming they don't have the same color shift and blooming that the NEX-7 is having with older lenses.
01-12-2012, 09:50 PM - 2 Likes   #85
Veteran Member

Chill out fellas. The Ricoh purchase was just a couple of months ago. It takes some time to assess where the skillsets and assets and skunkworks and product roadmaps come together. Ricoh probably has some ideas on where the camera industry is going and where they want to be. Likewise Pentax. It takes a while to figure where they should go together. They're thinking about strategic decisions, product lines, org charts, and financial and resource projections, supply chain integration, sales and marketing coordination, etc... all while holding down their day jobs running businesses. The decisions they make now will impact the company's course heading for the next 5 years. It is not a decision to be made in haste.

To think that they could be acquired in October and have done all of that and given product teams time to develop and announce new gear is a bit far-fetched. In the meantime, if your needs aren't currently being met by Pentax, do not hesitate to look elsewhere, especially if those needs put food on the table.
01-12-2012, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote from JC: "I think we're pretty confident with our current direction with the APS-C and the 645, because we're addressing the consumer market as well the professional market."

This strategy does not address the thousands of wedding/portrait photographers who will never have a budget to include 645D, but require very shallow DOF. Nor does this strategy address the thousands of consumers/enthusiasts looking for a system with an upgrade path (which K -> 645 is not). And this strategy certainly doesn't mitigate the constant turnover in the Pentax user-base for systems with a FF option.

The motto is "be different", not unrealistic - bad strategy Pentax.
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote

If anything I think that for the sake of your blood pressure you ought to switch brands today.
01-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Chill out fellas. The Ricoh purchase was just a couple of months ago. It takes some time to assess where the skillsets and assets and skunkworks and product roadmaps come together. Ricoh probably has some ideas on where the camera industry is going and where they want to be. Likewise Pentax. It takes a while to figure where they should go together. They're thinking about strategic decisions, product lines, org charts, and financial and resource projections, supply chain integration, sales and marketing coordination, etc... all while holding down their day jobs running businesses. The decisions they make now will impact the company's course heading for the next 5 years. It is not a decision to be made in haste.

To think that they could be acquired in October and have done all of that and given product teams time to develop and announce new gear is a bit far-fetched. In the meantime, if your needs aren't currently being met by Pentax, do not hesitate to look elsewhere, especially if those needs put food on the table.
John, you have the best comment in this thread so far.
01-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
Still no news on the original Japanese article? I assume the Japanese are all in bed now
Paging V5planet!
01-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #90
Veteran Member

fuent104 does make some good points though,
Pentax arnt really doing a great job at keeping their customers interested/excited :ugh:
especially those of us who are already contemplating jumping ship to have ff.

If they dont anounce any news of interest to keep me exicted about Pentax by the time the 1DX comes, Im afraid that I wont me able to resist the temptation of 5D fire sales.....