Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
I agree with most people here that JC's interview left me feeling a little underwhelmed. In a way, I suppose it's nice to see someone not overegging the pudding with statements like "the K-r remains a great camera and a fantastic choice for users. We are also very excited about what we have coming for the future--and are sure our users will be too--so stay tuned". I'm not concerned about Pentax at the moment; I think dissapointment has translated as concern for a number of people on the forums. After Hoya's (and Pentax prior) tight-lipped policy and lack of effective communication, I think people hoped that Ricoh would immediatly turn this about and be more open and encouraging of the future of Pentax (e.g. a roadmap, some product announcment or hint). Instead, it's been a couple of trivial statments, a quiet discontinuance (and distribution wind-down) of the lower-end DSLR without having released a sucessor, and a rather poor trade-show showing (surely the GXR M-mount adaptor is less worthy of being featured than the K-5 or even 645D as far as marketing goes). We just have to wait a little longer to see what Ricoh's intent and vision is with Pentax (both products and marketing); at the moment it all seems to be on auto-pilot.

Let's put all this in perspective - it's been PentaxUSA that has been so sad in their performance. If we had statements like those coming from PentaxUK from PentaxUSA I think there would be fewer Chicken Little statements about Pentax made here on this forum. I'm convinced that if Ricoh wants to be a real player in the US they need to clean house at PentaxUSA. A CEO that doesn't even live in the same state as the HQ offices? A Senior Marketing and Sales guy that can't even handle a basic interview with a friendly industry outlet? Come on, its like watching the 3 stooges.

01-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's sad actually.
IMHO, a 300/2.8 is a thing of the past where film was slow and image stabilization the exception.

IMHO, the thing to do is Falk Lumo: A hypothetical Pentax DFA* 500mm F5.6 ED(IF) SDMii
As an owner of one, I'd disagree. It makes a good platform for a converter
while leaving open the optional focal length of using it without the converter.
practically speaking this makes it very much like a 'zoom' lens.--- one piece
of glass that you can use at 300 or something longer depending on which or howww strong a converter you have. slower lenses just don't allow this.
01-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #123
Veteran Member

uninspiring = sin, for a salesman

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Indeed, but Jon Carlson could have been the tiniest bit more enthusiastic about the current and the upcoming products. In this interview (at least) he came across as someone VERY uninterested and uninformed. With this interview he has done more harm than good; he single-handedly made several people switch to another brand by spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt (really). What good is that for? Everything, from the stand itself, the laughable photo of the "toilet entrance" and this interview makes it an epic fail.

It's not about the message itself (we all understand that Pentax/Ricoh currently is in a special transition phase) but the way the message is told. And Pentax USA has chosen the worst possible way to do so.

No, I will not cut Jon Carlson some slack. He really has to work harder to make us Pentaxians happy. It is his work, dammit!
+1

I think John Flores is right about the likely timelines, but it's hard to see this interview as anything else but a failure in spite of that.

Very uninspiring, with a flavor of "we don't feel the need to change much, doin' pretty well with the decision making so far, hang in there, something might be coming sometime, thanks!"

01-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
+1

I think John Flores is right about the likely timelines, but it's hard to see this interview as anything else but a failure in spite of that.

Very uninspiring, with a flavor of "we don't feel the need to change much, doin' pretty well with the decision making so far, hang in there, something might be coming sometime, thanks!"

Yep he really will never make it as a leader. No inspiration at all.
Hard to believe he's a senior marketing guy.

Now Ricoh may not actually want to pursue the US market heavily upfront preferring instead to continue with the Pursue Asia strategy. Since that is the biggest growth market with China opening up it may well be a valid idea with limited resources. who knows???
It will of course drive many who believe the US is the only Market in the world absolutely crazy though

01-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Yep he really will never make it as a leader. No inspiration at all.
Hard to believe he's a senior marketing guy.

Now Ricoh may not actually want to pursue the US market heavily upfront preferring instead to continue with the Pursue Asia strategy. Since that is the biggest growth market with China opening up it may well be a valid idea with limited resources. who knows???
It will of course drive many who believe the US is the only Market in the world absolutely crazy though
Those people don't just make things and send them here? Crazy talk! If it's not accepted in the US it must be worthless. Wow, next I'll hear that people in other countries have original ideas
01-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Those people don't just make things and send them here? Crazy talk! If it's not accepted in the US it must be worthless. Wow, next I'll hear that people in other countries have original ideas
and then someone will say that the US variant of democracy isn't the best model for everyone and the world will end
01-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #127
Veteran Member

and then someone will say that the US variant of democracy isn't the best model for everyone and the world will end
Republic.

01-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
we don't feel the need to change much, doin' pretty well with the decision making so far, hang in there, something might be coming sometime, thanks!"
Agreed, except the 'hang in there' and 'thanks' part did not register with me.
01-13-2012, 09:31 AM - 3 Likes   #129
Veteran Member

Let me give it a try...

"We launched some great products under Hoya - the K-x, the 645D, and the K-5 in particular. These cameras really shook up their segments with class leading performance and very competitive pricing. Now with Ricoh, we're doubly excited. No, make that triply excited. They didn't buy Pentax to maintain the status quo. They intend to shake up the market and are willing to invest the time and money to do so, just as they did with copiers, going head to head with Canon and winning.

As you can see by their GRD and GXR cameras, it's in Ricoh's DNA to make quality cameras for serious photographers and are willing to swim against the current to do so. We at Pentax think that's great, because it merges well with our mission to Be Interesting. As far as corporate missions go, it's a great fit for us.

It's early days still, and I know the Ricoh and Pentax teams in Japan are looking for ways to share ideas, product roadmaps, skunkworks and so on. I was at a meeting in Japan last month and MY OH MY don't you wish you were there! I wish I could pull the next Pentax out of my coat pocket right now, but the reality is that we're still whiteboarding and figuring out how to move forward together. And to be honest, I could tell you everything that I know, but then I'd have to kill you. And neither of us want that, do we?

So please, when you publish this interview, tell Pentaxians around the world to hold on tight, the big show's about to start!"
01-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Let me give it a try...

"We launched some great products under Hoya - the K-x, the 645D, and the K-5 in particular. These cameras really shook up their segments with class leading performance and very competitive pricing. Now with Ricoh, we're doubly excited. No, make that triply excited. They didn't buy Pentax to maintain the status quo. They intend to shake up the market and are willing to invest the time and money to do so, just as they did with copiers, going head to head with Canon and winning.

As you can see by their GRD and GXR cameras, it's in Ricoh's DNA to make quality cameras for serious photographers and are willing to swim against the current to do so. We at Pentax think that's great, because it merges well with our mission to Be Interesting. As far as corporate missions go, it's a great fit for us.

It's early days still, and I know the Ricoh and Pentax teams in Japan are looking for ways to share ideas, product roadmaps, skunkworks and so on. I was at a meeting in Japan last month and MY OH MY don't you wish you were there! I wish I could pull the next Pentax out of my coat pocket right now, but the reality is that we're still whiteboarding and figuring out how to move forward together. And to be honest, I could tell you everything that I know, but then I'd have to kill you. And neither of us want that, do we?

So please, when you publish this interview, tell Pentaxians around the world to hold on tight, the big show's about to start!"
Well done! I wish that would have been the interview
01-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #131
Pentaxian

JohnMFlores, I'm speaking on behalf of Ned Bunnell. We'll give you a job as a senior manager marketing & sales.

John Carlson, there's the door.
01-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Let me give it a try...

See now that's what a Marketing Professional would have done (and I do know you are in marketing). If he had said something like that the tone here would be quite different. And though he may not like the forum, ignoring it's impact on how people choose Pentax is a foolish thing since so many people will end up here doing research

Well done, maybe Pentax US will have an opening in future
01-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
JohnMFlores, I'm speaking on behalf of Ned Bunnell. We'll give you a job as a senior manager marketing & sales.

John Carlson, there's the door.
JohnMFlores gets my vote - that's the way it should have gone down - regardless of what the reality is.
01-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #134
Pentaxian

I don't see any issue with JC's interview. He couldn't say much, he didn't said much.
I wouldn't be impressed with salesman talk anyway; I'm looking for information, not for fake enthusiasm and nice words.
01-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #135
Veteran Member

See now that's what a Marketing Professional would have done (and I do know you are in marketing). If he had said something like that the tone here would be quite different. And though he may not like the forum, ignoring it's impact on how people choose Pentax is a foolish thing since so many people will end up here doing research

Well done, maybe Pentax US will have an opening in future
We can but hope.....