Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #181

On Amazon i found the Canon 1100D (i think thats the "lowest" end) for around 420€ , the K-r is 440€, i dont see any room downwards to position something there...

In fact i think that something "above" 1k which is able to hold its position more stable would be better.

I dont understand why there are so many features which aren't implemented which would be so useful....

A Pentax Representative once told me "that you need something for the next body" but i think you have to build one or two cameras which are so overloaded which (wll implented) features, so that people start recognizing it and when it comes to the decision they should say : " I can buy a Nikon/Canon for 500€ or a Pentax for 500€, but the pentax has 10 features more", more people would then be start using Pentax.

There are so many possible feature which might prove usefull and which mostly seem to be "Software" related...

Maybe Pentax FW-Software-Department just sucks hard

01-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #182

Pentax have tended to "offer more features" in the models the lower end ones being well featured v other makers no doubts about that. But that alone does not appear to be enough.
I see some other problems:

Lens range does this encourage new users or not?
Features v real world performance, feature packed deep menus aside do we get better shots from a Pentax than a Canon or Nikon inexperienced user? Quite a few new users have had a bit more difficulty with that due to various reasons.

K-x and K-r very good specification for the money but, we have some weaker points AF performance has been a problem, the older 16 segment metering seems a bit outdated in it's performance (I'd say it's not that consistent myself that needs updating)
I'm not convinced that even if Pentax loaded in more features (can we think or many left?) it's going to make a lot of difference. If you can't nail basic stuff like AF and metering what's the point with the nice menu options? And I can't see many new buyers being pulled into the lenses on offer either. If you look at other makers they have a lot more choice.
01-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #183
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's throw millions of dollars into a trashcan ...

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
John Carlson, Senior Manager of Sales and Marketing at Pentax Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. says:
"...we have the Pentax resources, and then obviously the Ricoh resources.
They are interested in growing and expanding the Pentax brand."
One doesn't "grow and expand" a brand by killing it. Case closed. Back to the cheese.
Agreed. How could anyone reasonably think that any corporation would make such a multi-millon dollar asset acquisition in order to thrash its main and best "cash cow" product line ... Face it, the K mount will not go away overnight and based upon some whimsical decision process ... I image that there are some people who want to keep their jobs and thus they are planning and putting into place various short-term and medium-term strategies in order to get the best "ROI" (return on investment) for the Pentax brand acquistion by Rioch.
01-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #184

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
If Pentax for sure is sticking to only APS-C... they better be the best damn APS-C cameras in the industry.

The only way to save Pentax, and I think it's too late even for this, was to differentiate from other big brands
and promote what Pentax did/does the best - small, high quality lenses - the Limited range
and small, high quality cameras. If they played this card well, they could have been the "mirrorless"
solution 5 years ago. Doesn't matter they don't have FF, it doesn't matter for Sony or Fuji today.
People like small, high quality system. People are tried of the big old same boring DSLRs.
Look how excited everybody is about the new Fuji. Pentax could be such an excitement,
but people simply have no idea Pentax makes high quality small lenses and the smallest good cameras.

01-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Chill out fellas. The Ricoh purchase was just a couple of months ago. It takes some time to assess where the skillsets and assets and skunkworks and product roadmaps come together. Ricoh probably has some ideas on where the camera industry is going and where they want to be. Likewise Pentax. It takes a while to figure where they should go together. They're thinking about strategic decisions, product lines, org charts, and financial and resource projections, supply chain integration, sales and marketing coordination, etc... all while holding down their day jobs running businesses. The decisions they make now will impact the company's course heading for the next 5 years. It is not a decision to be made in haste.

To think that they could be acquired in October and have done all of that and given product teams time to develop and announce new gear is a bit far-fetched. In the meantime, if your needs aren't currently being met by Pentax, do not hesitate to look elsewhere, especially if those needs put food on the table.
Ageed ... chill out ... or just panic and jump out of the sinking ship. As pointed out, the acquisition was just a few months ago ... be patient. Allez, calmez-vous, calmez-vous SVP ... Salut et bon courage, J Frog
01-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #186
Veteran Member

I think this interview will do a lot to persuade the naysayers that salvation is on the way :

We Interview Pentax UK GM Jonathan Martin

Very very positive !
01-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I think this interview will do a lot to persuade the naysayers that salvation is on the way :

Very very positive !
Exactly what we SHOULD have heard from Pentax USA! Good for PentaxUK - AGAIN.

01-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

Very very positive !
They invented the language, so it stands to reason that they are the best at using it!
01-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #189
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
The only way to save Pentax, and I think it's too late even for this, was to differentiate from other big brands
and promote what Pentax did/does the best - small, high quality lenses - the Limited range
and small, high quality cameras. If they played this card well, they could have been the "mirrorless"
solution 5 years ago. Doesn't matter they don't have FF, it doesn't matter for Sony or Fuji today.
People like small, high quality system. People are tried of the big old same boring DSLRs.
Look how excited everybody is about the new Fuji. Pentax could be such an excitement,
but people simply have no idea Pentax makes high quality small lenses and the smallest good cameras.
While I do not agree it is "too late" I do believe that Pentax's biggest short coming is marketing. People are hard pressed to buy a product, no matter how great, that they know little to nothing about. Why does Coca-Cola spend millions of dollars on advertising each year? Is there anyone left on planet earth that hasn't heard of Coke? Of course not! Coke advertises to keep the brand on the forefront of people's mind. In short, they advertise so people don't buy a Pepsi. Pentax is not on the forefront of anyone's minds except for those of us that happen to frequent this forum. In order to be a viable player in the market and not just tread water it is vital for Pentax to do a better job of marketing.

Last edited by Artesia Aggie; 01-15-2012 at 10:26 AM.
01-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesia Aggie Quote
While I do not agree it is "too late" I do believe that Pentax's biggest short coming is marketing. People are hard pressed to buy a product, no matter how great, that they know little to nothing about. Why does Coca-Cola spend millions of dollars on advertising each year? Is there anyone left on planet earth that hasn't heard of Coke? Of course not! Coke advertises to keep the brand on the forefront of people's mind. In short, they advertise so people don't buy a Pepsi. Pentax is not on the forefront of anyone's minds except for those of us that happen to frequent this forum. In order to be a viable player in the market and not just tread water it is vital for Pentax to do a better job of marketing.
Something Ricoh mastered in their battle to de-throne Canon in the copier market............
01-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #191
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Something Ricoh mastered in their battle to de-throne Canon in the copier market............
Very true! They also have the financial resources that Hoya didn't. I believe a little patience is in order. I don't believe they bought Pentax to watch it die.
01-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #192

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesia Aggie Quote
Very true! They also have the financial resources that Hoya didn't. I believe a little patience is in order. I don't believe they bought Pentax to watch it die.
"Hey guys, I bought myself a new puppy.

Man, I can't wait till this thing dies."

Nobody ever thinks or says that. So why would Ricoh.
01-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #193
Veteran Member

I realize that lenses offer a manufacturer the best chance of making profit after the body is purchased but I am also wondering what implications a GXR style system for a Pentax pro camera would have on that. If there were mount modules available for all major manufacturers lenses, I can imagine (at least) the bodies selling like hotcakes. Obviously a large chunk of product becomes excluded from sale at that point so it's probably unlikely to happen. Wouldn't it require a different firmware for each AF type as well?
01-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I realize that lenses offer a manufacturer the best chance of making profit after the body is purchased but I am also wondering what implications a GXR style system for a Pentax pro camera would have on that. If there were mount modules available for all major manufacturers lenses, I can imagine (at least) the bodies selling like hotcakes. Obviously a large chunk of product becomes excluded from sale at that point so it's probably unlikely to happen. Wouldn't it require a different firmware for each AF type as well?
Don't the GXR modules really have the sensor, processor, etc. in them - so in essence you are buying a new camera to go with your battery holder/LCD screen/buttons each time you buy a module?
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #195
Veteran Member

I guess I was more meaning an interchangeable mount module than sensor. But why not have a separate sensor module that allows FF or APS-C as a matter of choice? The way it is sounding we'd end up with a totally modular camera which is not necessarily a bad idea for a professional system I think.