Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thinking about it again ...

then I would say that 3 months is enough time to set up a strategy for new Pentax. And to prepare a press conference at CES just to tell the user base that Pentax will be back. It did not happen.

Thinking about it again, they did not do their homework. Period.

01-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #197
Veteran Member

True but sad.

Dave
01-15-2012, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So I take it that;
1) some hope Pentax does nothing so that can bitched and whined about and
2) some hope Pentax does something so that can bitched and whined about.

01-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I realize that lenses offer a manufacturer the best chance of making profit after the body is purchased but I am also wondering what implications a GXR style system for a Pentax pro camera would have on that. If there were mount modules available for all major manufacturers lenses, I can imagine (at least) the bodies selling like hotcakes. Obviously a large chunk of product becomes excluded from sale at that point so it's probably unlikely to happen. Wouldn't it require a different firmware for each AF type as well?

I think you've nailed the weakness of the GXR camera. Mfrs like Nikon are not going to let Ricoh/Pentax use their proprietary firmware to do autofocus with their lenses. Its copyrighted and/or patented perhaps. So basically, a GXR camera can autofocus Ricoh mount lenses, Pentax lenses via the right adapter and mountor. But all other non-native lenses (with the exception of Pentax at some point) will have to be focused in manual mode with some Ricoh focus assist firmware.

Could Ricoh/Pentax come up with some universal firmware that would allow the GXR to phase AF or contrast AF any non-native AF lens out there. I suspect given enough expense, they could do that but would such firmware survive legal challenges - I don't know :-)

If you're a wedding photographer, 2 of any camera will give you redundancy in case of 1 camera failing. A single GXR base with 2 mountors will not give one redundancy in case of a failure of the base - say some damage to the buss or shutter button. GXR does have the advantages of solving the sensor dust problem and allowing better calibration of the lens to sensor. Interesting!

Last edited by philbaum; 01-16-2012 at 12:06 AM.
01-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think you've nailed the weakness of the GXR camera. Mfrs like Nikon are not going to let Ricoh/Pentax use their proprietary firmware to do autofocus with their lenses. Its copyrighted and/or patented perhaps. So basically, a GXR camera can autofocus Ricoh mount lenses, Pentax lenses via the right adapter and mountor. But all other non-native lenses (with the exception of Pentax at some point) will have to be focused in manual mode with some Ricoh focus assist firmware.

Could Ricoh/Pentax come up with some universal firmware that would allow the GXR to phase AF or contrast AF any non-native AF lens out there. I suspect given enough expense, they could do that but would such firmware survive legal challenges - I don't know :-)

If you're a wedding photographer, 2 of any camera will give you redundancy in case of 1 camera failing. A single GXR base with 2 mountors will not give one redundancy in case of a failure of the base - say some damage to the buss or shutter button. GXR does have the advantages of solving the sensor dust problem and allowing better calibration of the lens to sensor. Interesting!
It's not a weakness if they (Pentax/Ricoh) use the technology to design a new series of lenses with a new mount. Older lenses could still work with a K mount module so there's be no loss there either as it would allow an eventual transition for everyone if need be. Interchangeable sensor modules for 1x1, 3x2 formats would also be cool. Or just a square sensor that could crop in-camera and EVF (seems to be a dirty word around these parts) would also be kinda cool too I think.
01-16-2012, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

then I would say that 3 months is enough time to set up a strategy for new Pentax. And to prepare a press conference at CES just to tell the user base that Pentax will be back. It did not happen.

Any choice they make is going to have long term implications so 3 months is really no time at all in that context.
01-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
So I take it that;
1) some hope Pentax does nothing so that can bitched and whined about and
2) some hope Pentax does something so that can bitched and whined about.

Ain't that the truth.

I really don't think that Pentax give a rat's butt what the forum members think. In more than few interviews Japanese Pentax representatives have said that most DSLR buyers buy no more than two lenses. Avid photographers are probably not the cash cow for the company.

01-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #203
Veteran Member

But we convince the ordinary DSLR buyer to buy pentax... at least I do...
01-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #204

People should buy what they like or suits them best. I don't work for Pentax and I don't get paid by them to promote their products. Happy users will convey good thoughts and positive experiences. Even though I've had K-r problems (can't suggestt people buy that model) I have said to some to check Pentax out. Most are not interested even though the K-5 is a deal right now, even though the K-r is cheap and well featured.

There must be a reason most run to Canon and Nikon I think the system is the problem for many it's simply not meeting their needs or does not have enough choices. I don't think it's just "the name" though that is part of it Canon and Nikon do have more brand pull. Pentax just has too small a system and not enough choices. Stuff like outdated flashes and missing lenses won't inspire people to buy their products.
01-18-2012, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax will be back? Have they been away?
As far as I know Pentax have been on an increase the last few years aquiring marketshare for DSLR. I don't think theres any reason to suspect that their strategy has changed with a new owner; no more than making resources available so that Pentax can follow their strategy at faster pace perhaps.
This means more DSLR's and perhaps a deeper venture into the mirrorless market...
01-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by P虱 Jensen Quote
Pentax will be back? Have they been away?
Yes, during Hoya management, Pentax has lost about 1/2 of their market share (~3%, down from ~6% after the K10D release).

Another indicator may be the price for Pentax when Hoya aquired and sold it, even taking into account that the aquisition price was mostly for the medical branch.
01-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #207
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has won lots of awards for its products, because they're solid and they offer good price-to-performance. They also lost market share during the past 3 years. How do you reconcile those two facts? Marketing. It's just that you can't find a Pentax camera in any shops, its not on the virtual shelf at many internet sellers - how many non enthusiasts shop at Adorama or B&H, really? They got the K-r into WalMart in the US, finally, but only AFTER it was discontinued???? Add to that the main US marketing guy sounds clueless and is apparently disdainful of this forum, heck we have to rely on PentaxUK for answers to our questions, and you have a pretty bad picture IMHO.

My hope is that Ricoh will keep letting the designers come up with excellent cameras and they will put money into both marketing and increasing the QC/QA for the production. Add in some investment in peripherals (modern ones) and you have a real winning combination IMHO. Remember, Ricoh has a lot of experience in marketing better products against established brands and winning.
01-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #208

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
My hope is that Ricoh will keep letting the designers come up with excellent cameras
I'm hoping for excellent lenses as well!

I think there's a lot of potential with PRIC, so I'm optimistic
01-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Pentax has won lots of awards for its products, because they're solid and they offer good price-to-performance. They also lost market share during the past 3 years.
I don't think thats the case. Pentax was No.3 in DSLR marketshare in 2011....
01-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, during Hoya management, Pentax has lost about 1/2 of their market share (~3%, down from ~6% after the K10D release).

Another indicator may be the price for Pentax when Hoya aquired and sold it, even taking into account that the aquisition price was mostly for the medical branch.
Sony and Olympus also lost market share. The Canikon blitz of multi-tier price points and the "be everywhere" placement was the issue. The Rebel and D40 from Canon and Nikon respectively, plus their FF offerings, the 5D and in particular the D90 simply dominated the market.