Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Imaging Resource Interview with PENTAX US VP Marketing

Imaging Resource Interview:John Carlson, Pentax - Imaging Resource

Picked it up on my cell, you'll have to read and parse yourselves.

01-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two threads already on this one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/171551-tethering-aps-c...ml#post1777183

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/171528-interview-penta...executive.html
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Banned

Imaging Resource Interview: John Carlson, Pentax

John Carlson:
QuoteQuote:
Ricoh acquired Pentax for the Pentax brand, and the Pentax brand is a product category within the Ricoh company; just like you would have CyberShot to Sony.
Imaging Resource Interview:*John Carlson, Pentax - Imaging Resource

So Pentax to Ricoh is like CyberShot to Sony ? Well that don't sound too good for anyone dreaming of a Ricoh/Pentax upgrade to the K-5 IMHO.

Last edited by jogiba; 01-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.
01-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well no - Carlson is not the Japan chief executive.

01-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You can't draw any conclusions from this interview, positive or negative. He obviously hasn't got a clue what's going on. The company needs to do a much better job of giving these guys a story to tell - even if the strategy is under review (which it probably is under the new ownership) there are ways of putting that across that sound much more positive than the rather tentative generalities here. And anyway, where is Ned Bunnell?
01-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
You can't draw any conclusions from this interview, positive or negative. He obviously hasn't got a clue what's going on. The company needs to do a much better job of giving these guys a story to tell - even if the strategy is under review (which it probably is under the new ownership) there are ways of putting that across that sound much more positive than the rather tentative generalities here. And anyway, where is Ned Bunnell?
All I'm going to say is that PentaxUK, on their Facebook page of all things, did a solid job of answering 2 rampant rumors directly.
01-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
John Carlson:

Imaging Resource Interview:*John Carlson, Pentax - Imaging Resource

So Pentax to Ricoh is like CyberShot to Sony ? Well that don't sound too good for anyone dreaming of a Ricoh/Pentax upgrade to the K-5 IMHO.
My biggest gripe regarding pastel cameras is when I stopped in a thread mocking all the effort Pentax put into pastel tattoos on the previous year's cameras and I was struck and and said to myself "now, wait a minute. That actually IS cool and fun looking. Maybe I'm wrong about this" and naturally it turns out to be a Photoshopped mockup of a poster's neat crazy idea, only existing as a great idea from someone not connected with Pentax.

*sigh* Have I lost faith that Pentax can even carve themselves a 3% market share in the horrible body color P & S dept? : )
01-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Being VP of Marketing for Pentax US has to be a pretty boring job. Pentax runs maybe one ad campaign a year? What does he do the other 11 months? I bet he is a good golfer.

01-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am convinced this job is not what it appears to be, it has to be so different and exciting, probably with an other profile ... Today's succesfull marketing needs a lot of motivation and imagination... as well as thorough knowledge of the product and of the photographic history...