Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if everyone starts flooding Pentax Japan with emails asking for a SDK for tethering or to make the information available at least might help un-stagnate the development section.. hell I still want to see some good hacked K-5 firmware!

01-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I wonder if everyone starts flooding Pentax Japan with emails asking for a SDK for tethering or to make the information available at least might help un-stagnate the development section.. hell I still want to see some good hacked K-5 firmware!
Depends on who's reading it I guess.. if they do read at all.

Flooding may make them consider the request emails as spam, not a market call.

I wonder if anyone hacked enough Pentaxes to make a Pentax version of the CHDK?
01-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A SKD would be great, I would love to remap one of the buttons in the battery grip of my K20d to do AF, and for heaven sakes enable the hotshoe, or at least the PC socket at higher-than-sync speeds. Of course the K20d doesn't need to add tethering support, but a Lightroom module would be most helpful.
01-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax's removal of the tethering capability in the K7, K5 and 645D makes absolutely no logical sense at all. Publishing and supporting an API or an SDK would certainly make sense. Let third parties support this capability - especially with netbooks, tablets and smart phones. This would be a natural evolution of the product, especially since they probably will not support moveable rear monitors on the camera bodies. This would be a wonderful equalizer for macro work and other types of photography.

Extending on the CHDK idea, Pentax could certainly very easily add some of the functionality that CHDK offers - lightening detection, Motion detection, extended time lapse, etc. Being able to disable DFS on the K5 was a start, along with the Astrotracking GPS (if only the reports would show it working better). Anything that would add to the Pentax community of users. Give folks good reasons to come to Pentax.

However, this requires Pentax to actually follow through. With Pentax USA really unable to do anything on their own, and who knows what Pentax Japan (now Ricoh) will listen to, its somewhat of a crap shoot. Add some cool capabilities, attract the open source folks for out of the camera support - think outside the box!

01-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tethering functionality is still present in the firmware. PENTAX simply does not have a supporting software product.

--DragonLord
01-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #36
Veteran Member

So "officially" tethering is still off, or absent... though technically still there. Good thing tkos made a simple software for it (which by itself is an amazing thing already).
01-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #37
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:53 AM.
01-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I've asked tkos if he was thinking of porting PK tether to android and said it might be a possibility in the future... because really. WTF is the point of tethering to a lap top for things such as time laps shooting over 999 frames.. laptop batteries would die way before you got to 999 frames. Would be nice to have it on something like a android tablet, like the asus eepad transformer that can get 12+ hours of battery life with it's dock.
I really don't think Pentax knows WTFS they are doing.. such a disappointment.
Since I just bought the Transformer and doc, mainly for photography, I'd love to see tethering of my K5 to this. Right now, I'm using it with an Eye-fi Pro X2 card set up for direct transfer of images. At least I can get near-realtime feedback on my images this way.
01-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Nice, this is the setup I want, but I have to REAL use for it with the eye-fi card since I have a 16GB and 8GB card in the grip as spare.. so unless I'm actually shooting time lapse at well over 1000 pics, there's no situation yet ( since I'm not really shooting portraits) that I can't get around by just chimping a few shots to make sure things are setup right.