Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, even the 645D (which is considered the "pro" camera of Pentax) doesn't support tethering.... odd. I just wish they bring back tethering even if it's only for the higher camera tier.

01-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've asked tkos if he was thinking of porting PK tether to android and said it might be a possibility in the future... because really. WTF is the point of tethering to a lap top for things such as time laps shooting over 999 frames.. laptop batteries would die way before you got to 999 frames. Would be nice to have it on something like a android tablet, like the asus eepad transformer that can get 12+ hours of battery life with it's dock.
I really don't think Pentax knows WTFS they are doing.. such a disappointment.
01-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dougfrey Quote
I have worked for Japanese companies for over 20 years, and this is typical business style (relationship between Japan and US subsidiary) for Japanese companies. It not necessarily bad news.
Absolutely. The bad news comes in when people take their suggestions to Pentax USA (or Pentax Europe, *cough* *cough*) and then read too much into the response.

This is partly Pentax USA's own fault, though, because if they'd just be honest about this relationship, I think everyone would be better off.
01-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A deal with Adobe for Lightroom tethering.

01-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Capture One Pro is essentially a 3rd party software for tethering (although it is obviously built beside the Phase 1 bodies)... but it is the best tethering software I have ever seen and it seems like it SHOULD be easy to add Pentax compatibility if Pentax opened the door for them (I assume they would need access to some code...?). I have used that software with several Canon and Nikon cameras (5DmkII, 1DmkIV, D700, D3s) and it allows both full control of the camera as well as instant RAW processing for previewing. In short - it blows Canon's own software out of the water and it is a MAJOR improvement over something like Lightroom that can be configured to monitor a folder.
01-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Well, even the 645D (which is considered the "pro" camera of Pentax) doesn't support tethering.... odd. I just wish they bring back tethering even if it's only for the higher camera tier.
There is tethering support in all the current pentax cameras, that isn't the problem, there simply isn't software for it.
01-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Absolutely. The bad news comes in when people take their suggestions to Pentax USA (or Pentax Europe, *cough* *cough*) and then read too much into the response.

This is partly Pentax USA's own fault, though, because if they'd just be honest about this relationship, I think everyone would be better off.
That's the other part - most Japanese companies believe that info on those matters (relationships among units) should stay within company walls. But I do recall JC, I think, writing here that Pentax USA could not get data on flash triggering voltage limits from Pentax Japan and implying that it's hard to get many questions answered via that route.

I also believe that Ned has indicated that he has very limited info on Tokyo's planning. But even that admission will likely diminish Ned's role in the eyes of the US market and will generate ill-will towards Pentax HQ. HQ will not be happy about that behavior although they may have simply concluded that the mass market won't find out or won't care.

01-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
Capture One Pro is essentially a 3rd party software for tethering (although it is obviously built beside the Phase 1 bodies)... but it is the best tethering software I have ever seen and it seems like it SHOULD be easy to add Pentax compatibility if Pentax opened the door for them (I assume they would need access to some code...?). I have used that software with several Canon and Nikon cameras (5DmkII, 1DmkIV, D700, D3s) and it allows both full control of the camera as well as instant RAW processing for previewing. In short - it blows Canon's own software out of the water and it is a MAJOR improvement over something like Lightroom that can be configured to monitor a folder.
Pentax already have, hopefully good, business relations with the Silkypix folks and I would be more than happy if they dumbed the Pentax Camera Utility and integrated tethering in the original program. Besides my k5, I have an Samsung GX10 and Samsung shipped it with full Silkypix, so don't see any reason why Pentax could not make a similar deal. Unfortunately, Pentax would probably be to proud to even consider ditching their own program, eventhough it is way sub par to the original.

On the other hand, Capture One is made in the city where I live, so if Pentax want me to investigate the possibilities they can get in touch with me I even know one guy was involved in the company some years back.
01-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
Pentaxian

The demand may be a little low for this feature, but the people who do demand such a software are most probably high end, lots of new gear customers...
I want tethered shooting.
01-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The demand may be a little low for this feature, but the people who do demand such a software are most probably high end, lots of new gear customers...
I want tethered shooting.
Development cost, particularly if piggybacked on an existing tethering program, should not be too high. The benefits would appear to be primarily in grabbing pro level attention and utility for the cameras, which can't be a bad thing.
01-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #26
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I've sent him a PM.

Edit: I got a response from tkos, but I'm not going to post it here. I'll wait for him to post to this thread.

--DragonLord
Should I hold my breath? The suspense is killing me!
01-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure if tkos is available to post on this thread. He responds to PMs but hasn't posted on the public forums for a long time. I'll send him another PM when I get a chance.

--DragonLord
01-16-2012, 02:56 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Inactive Account

Hi, I don't know why you so waiting for my info. I didn't receive any informations from Pentax US last time. One year ago I ask Pentax US, UK, DE, Japan for any information about communication protocol or any halp in development PK_Tether. I received answer only from Pentax US that they not develop DSLR at all and I should contact Pentax Japan. From other Pentax offices I didn't get any answer. Maybe in near future I will try once again ask Pentax US, but I don't expect nothing new. My experiences with big company is that - manager is telling what she has to or want, and it's not always consistent with what engineers are able to do.
01-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tkos Quote
Hi, I don't know why you so waiting for my info. I didn't receive any informations from Pentax US last time. One year ago I ask Pentax US, UK, DE, Japan for any information about communication protocol or any halp in development PK_Tether. I received answer only from Pentax US that they not develop DSLR at all and I should contact Pentax Japan. From other Pentax offices I didn't get any answer. Maybe in near future I will try once again ask Pentax US, but I don't expect nothing new. My experiences with big company is that - manager is telling what she has to or want, and it's not always consistent with what engineers are able to do.
Thanks for the efforts and for the program itself! It sounds frustrating but it might be that you can hold the PentaxUSA representative to his word and get some sort of specific contact at Pentax Japan to pitch your program to. Good luck and thanks for all the hard work on PK_Tether!
01-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tkos Quote
Thanks for the wonderful tethering program tkos! I do hope Pentax-Japan picks up the call and start discussions with you. The Pentax community will benefit a lot from your efforts if Pentax HQ acknowledges it.