Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

OK, this is a clearly more positive interview than the last one in "easy-to-understand language".
Thus, i wouldn't draw many conclusions re. forthcomming products.
The WG-1 and Q lines are to be continued, which is good news.
But i obviously doubt the K-r replacement will be mirrorless, because K-mount based mirror-less would lose a lot of it's compactness. So imho any APS-C optimised mirrorless would not be K-mount based, and would therefore add a new lens line, if it is to have any competitive appeal.
So, if you think of 4 DSLR products, then keep some K-s in the entry level, keep the K-5 line, and add two new FF bodies : canikons equivalents of 5DII/D700 and 1DX/D4, but much smaller !
And then there is quite a lot of new SDM lenses to issue !

Last edited by Zygonyx; 01-15-2012 at 02:27 PM.
01-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I dunno... I'm sure there's a way of getting a K-mount mirrorless a bit thinner than current K mount bodies. Look at an MX. Yes there are challenges in getting the sensor and rear screen into something that thin, but if you overcame that challenge somehow, Pentax would have the best mirrorless system going, with a lens lineup that blows the competition away.

And of course if you just make it Kr sized, it's no challenge at all!
01-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #18

I'd just create a new set of mirrorless lenses, a bit like they have created a new set of lenses for the Q. Then I'd make a KAF3 adapter, offering all the bells and whistles, at a reasonable price. So any new lenses would be pretty much backward compatible but forward looking.
01-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm struck by how disconnected he is from users:

There are rumors of a Full Frame Pentax?
I've not seen that one.

Isn't this a rumour that's in every Pentax forum?

Did you know there's also a Facebook page asking Pentax for a Full Frame camera?
I didn't know that, but we do hear that.

Seems like these guys really arn't that informed

01-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
To be competitive in the Digital SLR market you need a full range of cameras, for example Canon and Nikon have a range of 4 cameras from entry level to professional. I can't give any more details however as the timeframe for future products is unknown.
That's all one needs to read of the interview. It's all quite logical, but still a totally empty statement until Pentax actually lays out some actual product in 2012. Which is going to take some time, since not a single one of the recent Pentax interviews says anything concrete at all.
01-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote

I've not seen that one.

Did you know there's also a Facebook page asking Pentax for a Full Frame camera?

Agreed, it's sad but typical for a company like Pentax. All the more reason to be thankful for Adam's efforts to make our cause known.

Adam (as if I can randomly summon your attention), did you ever send a follow-up with number of "like"s from the Full Frame Pentax Facebook page?
01-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'll repeat a hunch. My hunch is based on Ricoh's release of an M mountor, with register of 27.8mm. My hunch is that the mirrorless Pentax will likewise have that mount, maybe with an AF drive screw. This hunch is completely unsupported by inside information. It just seems logical. The APS-C PenMILC (maybe called the MA1) body and native lenses would be around m4/3 size. An existing corps of MF lenses could be used WITHOUT ADAPTERS whilst PenCoh / RiTax populate the AF lens lineup... with shorter lenses. Longer AF glass can go on adapters. Start buying-up those M lenses now, kids!

01-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

What a terrible, pointless and vacuous interview. Just full of meaningless corporate speak. These people are frightened of saying anything and thus end up padding out interviews with nothing speak.
01-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'll repeat a hunch. My hunch is based on Ricoh's release of an M mountor, with register of 27.8mm. My hunch is that the mirrorless Pentax will likewise have that mount, maybe with an AF drive screw. This hunch is completely unsupported by inside information. It just seems logical. The APS-C PenMILC (maybe called the MA1) body and native lenses would be around m4/3 size. An existing corps of MF lenses could be used WITHOUT ADAPTERS whilst PenCoh / RiTax populate the AF lens lineup... with shorter lenses. Longer AF glass can go on adapters. Start buying-up those M lenses now, kids!
Haha, oh wow. An M-mount with AF. Why hasn't leica thought of this?
01-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote

I've not seen that one.

Sorry, but he's right: there is no credible rumour about a Full Frame Pentax.

RioRico, I'm not sure they can just go and use another maker's mount. And isn't it difficult to add contacts to M-mount?
01-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
(...)

RioRico, I'm not sure they can just go and use another maker's mount. And isn't it difficult to add contacts to M-mount?
Leica M mount is in public domain: Leica M3 was launched in 1954. This is for instance the reason why Cosina is now able to propose M mount lenses under the Voigtländer brand.

As for adding contacts to M mount, I have no specific answer but I suspect it is the route Leica themselves will follow for the MILC they are supposed to announce at Photokina in September.
01-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I dunno... I'm sure there's a way of getting a K-mount mirrorless a bit thinner than current K mount bodies. Look at an MX. Yes there are challenges in getting the sensor and rear screen into something that thin, but if you overcame that challenge somehow, Pentax would have the best mirrorless system going, with a lens lineup that blows the competition away.

And of course if you just make it Kr sized, it's no challenge at all!
Not possible. The register distance is what makes the mount and the compatibility with existing lenses. Especially important is the ability to focus to infinity.

Sensors are more fragile than film so require a physically more demanding structure to hold them steady (look at the size of a Rollei 35mm for a comparison).

The K-mount is a mirror box mount. Do away with the mirror, you're getting a new mount and forced investment ni new lenses.
01-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
Haha, oh wow. An M-mount with AF. Why hasn't leica thought of this?
They probably have "thought" of this.

Acting on it is another matter.
01-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Leica themselves added contact since m8.
01-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I know people on this forum are set on the K-mount because of their existing collection of legacy glass, but a new EVIL will be a new lens mount. Look at what Fuji is doing. They will attract a lot of new users with the new X-mount. I don't know if Fuji is capable of manufacturing enough XP1's to move the needle on market share, but they will sell every one they make for a nice margin which is all you can ask for. Growth is going to come from a new mount. There are a lot of advantages that come with a new mount and new designs.