Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 09:11 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Interview with Pentax UK GM Jonathan Martin

Just seen this on another site. This should allay a lot of fears !!

We Interview Pentax UK GM Jonathan Martin

01-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent. PentaxUSA needs to be taking notes!!!!

What are the future plans for Pentax, is a new mirrorless camera on it's way?
2012 is going to be a very exciting year, and that news is already out there, [referring to the mirrorless camera], although we can't go into details. Also we will be looking to grow strongly in the Digital SLR market.

Can you elaborate on that at all?
To be competitive in the Digital SLR market you need a full range of cameras, for example Canon and Nikon have a range of 4 cameras from entry level to professional. I can't give any more details however as the timeframe for future products is unknown.
01-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yippeee!

Perhaps they noticed all the breast-beating on these forums, and thought something a bit more positive was needed! It isn't exactly overflowing with details, but gives a good indication of future direction and of course confirms that the rumoured (non-Q) mirrorless camera is on its way!
01-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
the rumoured (non-Q) mirrorless camera is on its way!
... end there is no hope for Pentax FF camera....

01-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm pretty happy with the interview. It might be a lot of corporate speak but at least it hints at a direction for Pentax. This is the interview Carlson should have given.

I was also pretty sure an FF camera wouldn't materialize this year so quickly after the merger. I think down the line we might see an FF camera if Ricoh is indeed wanting to play with the big boys. Right now I would be happy with Pentax continuously improving their top end APS-C DSLR for a couple more generations, experimenting with an entry level mirror-less and, expanding their lens lineup. The last point is key for me. I think if you notice Pentax reintroducing some of the old FA* lenses and creating new DA lenses that work on FF, even if not outright stating as doing so, it's a good bet an FF is in our future.

Oh and a 55-300mm WR pretty please?
01-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I'm pretty happy with the interview. It might be a lot of corporate speak but at least it hints at a direction for Pentax. This is the interview Carlson should have given.

I was also pretty sure an FF camera wouldn't materialize this year so quickly after the merger. I think down the line we might see an FF camera if Ricoh is indeed wanting to play with the big boys. Right now I would be happy with Pentax continuously improving their top end APS-C DSLR for a couple more generations, experimenting with an entry level mirror-less and, expanding their lens lineup. The last point is key for me. I think if you notice Pentax reintroducing some of the old FA* lenses and creating new DA lenses that work on FF, even if not outright stating as doing so, it's a good bet an FF is in our future.

Oh and a 55-300mm WR pretty please?
+1 on the 55-300 WR
01-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Cheers for Jonathan Martin. Is there anyway for US Pentaxians to get adopted by PentaxUK - just asking for a little bit of communication and enthusiasm and haven't seen that out of the CES.

Anyway I posted on another thread that i had this hunch the new Kr is going to be a mirrorless. A few things that Jonathan says are consistent with that hunch as in:

a. He said there should be 4 tiers of dslrs.
b. There is going to be a replacement for the Kr
c. There is going to be a larger mirrorless in 2012
d. No FF this year

My Conclusion: Pentax will use 2012 to introduce a Kr size mirrorless compact. It makes sense.

K5 has been very popular and won several awards, it wouldn't make sense to me to replace it with a mirrorless - nope, its going to be the Kr size.

01-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Cheers for Jonathan Martin. Is there anyway for US Pentaxians to get adopted by PentaxUK - just asking for a little bit of communication and enthusiasm and haven't seen that out of the CES.

Anyway I posted on another thread that i had this hunch the new Kr is going to be a mirrorless. A few things that Jonathan says are consistent with that hunch as in:

a. He said there should be 4 tiers of dslrs.
b. There is going to be a replacement for the Kr
c. There is going to be a larger mirrorless in 2012
d. No FF this year

My Conclusion: Pentax will use 2012 to introduce a Kr size mirrorless compact. It makes sense.

K5 has been very popular and won several awards, it wouldn't make sense to me to replace it with a mirrorless - nope, its going to be the Kr size.
My only concern with a mirror-less camera is that Pentax would be put in the position of having to support four different lens lineups. One for the 645D, one for DSLRs, one for the Q, and one for the new mirror-less. That's a lot for a relatively small company.
01-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent! Great! Oh I am happy That reads a lot better!

Btw I am pretty sure there will be a larger (K Mount) mirrorless. I've become more interested in the Q and checked the German Pentax page today for the Q. On the bottom they state PENTAX Q - Digital Mirrorless - PENTAX Photo:

PENTAX Q - Und das ist erst der Anfang...
(Pentax Q - And that is just the beginning...)
01-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Huh, they did 67 + 645 + K + 110 at a time
Q is new indeed
K needs more lenses but is OKish so to say
645 is full of enough lenses but a couple spots due to the 645D crop

It can be done IMO if Ricoh pours the money...
01-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My only concern with a mirror-less camera is that Pentax would be put in the position of having to support four different lens lineups. One for the 645D, one for DSLRs, one for the Q, and one for the new mirror-less. That's a lot for a relatively small company.
Does mirror less necessarily mean new lens mount?
01-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Relief!
01-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Oog
Forum Member

If an upcoming lens line-up includes lenses that are meant for APS-C but have FF coverage, that could be a hint to what may come in a few years.... 8)

And mirrorless does not necessarily mean new lens mount, if the registration distance is not changed, a la Pentax Q. The electronics should stay the same, as we already have information transfer between current digital K-mount bodies and F/FA/DA lenses
01-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow. Now that's more like it. I wonder if the higher-ups are picking up on the uncertainty around and rushing to interviews to stem it.
01-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, you have a point, but..but..but..

a. Perhaps times have changed, at least for this year Old paradigm: a few camera models, lots of lenses.
New paradigm: Sony Nex: new body followed quickly by 4 more versions, very few lenses but adapters that allow other lenses to be used until their lens manufacturing can keep up - opens up the lens mount to 3rd party manufacturers.
b. Q shouldn't need the variety or continued lens support after the basic set of lens is finished.
c. K probably has enough lenses for the present, esp. with 3rd party support (build one long lens and they really will be happy)
d. 645D - build 1 or 2 lenses a year and they will be happy
e. Kr replacement (mirrorless) - new mount - provide 1 or 2 lenses to start, along with an aperture adapter for existing K mount lenses. If Pentax can't keep up with the demand, open up the Lens mount spec to 3rd party like Sony did.
f. Its better for any mfr to have too much work rather than too little. If they can't keep up, hire more workers and operate the factories 2 or 3 shifts a day. Hire more designers, etc.

The excitement this year is presently in the Other Brands forum discussing all the new camera bodies out there. Pentax needs to be a part of that excitement, again.