Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixel r0n1n Quote
if Pentax were to have a mirrorless, it should be MX, similar to this one?
Olympus Set to Announce Retro OM-styled Micro Four Thirds Camera

with Fujifilm and now Olympus doing it, is there room for a Pentax model? possibly K mount, or is the register distance too much a problem?
Pentax has room; just price it significantly below the Fuji Pro and beat the snot out of the 4/3 sensor.

A Pentax MILC will likely be introduced with a new mount, having low register distance. K-mount can be accommodated with an adapter.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-16-2012 at 06:16 PM.
01-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ricoh has released an M mountor for GXR. M-mount is Leica. I've elsewhere mentioned my hunch: this signals that an upcoming Pentax APS MILC will be M-mount, register= 27.8mm. We shall see, eh?
But won't this mean parasitizing customers from the GXR M mount module? It makes no business sense.

Rob
01-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
In other news Hugh Hefner announced he was 'still considering' entering the priesthood.

A 'K-mount module or adapter' that's 'still under discussion' basically means nothing.
No any sense to say the words "K-mount module" in interview if there are no any plans.

'It's under discussion' means 'we will launch it during few months'

http://photorumors.com/2012/01/16/new-ricoh-gxr-body-with-rotating-lcd-pentax-k-mount-gxr-unit/
Q: What are the future plans for Pentax, is a new mirrorless camera on it's way?
A: 2012 is going to be a very exciting year, and that news is already out there, [referring to the mirrorless camera], although we can't go into details. Also we will be looking to grow strongly in the Digital SLR market.

Last edited by ogl; 01-16-2012 at 09:03 PM.
01-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
Ricoh has released an M mountor for GXR. M-mount is Leica. I've elsewhere mentioned my hunch: this signals that an upcoming Pentax APS MILC will be M-mount, register= 27.8mm. We shall see, eh?
But won't this mean parasitizing customers from the GXR M mount module? It makes no business sense.
Or they could address different markets, with the GXR market being a bit more upscale. Would K-mountors and PK-mount cameras parasitize each others customers, as you say an M-mountor and M-mount MILC would do? Or would the availability of multiple platforms encourage multiple body purchases? Think of converging product 'upgrade' streams, K- and M-mount.

Last edited by RioRico; 01-17-2012 at 02:56 AM.
01-17-2012, 02:56 AM   #20
Pentaxian

with Fujifilm and now Olympus doing it, is there room for a Pentax model? possibly K mount, or is the register distance too much a problem?
Yes, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pentax should use M-x and M-e for its upcoming larger-sensor mirrorless offerings. M-e for the consumer version, M-x for the enthusiast version with lots of manual controls. And then LX-d (or L-x if LX-d sounds to psychedelic ) for a compact retro-styled FF DSLR :-)
01-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I think it's an idea, though i'd prefer an MX-D with an OVF myself - or an LX as the 60th anniversary of the Pentax SLR (and therefore the Japanese SLR - there were a couple of earlier ones but Asahi really nailed it down)
01-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No any sense to say the words "K-mount module" in interview if there are no any plans.

'It's under discussion' means 'we will launch it during few months'

New Ricoh GXR body with rotating LCD, Pentax K-mount GXR unit | Photo Rumors
Q: What are the future plans for Pentax, is a new mirrorless camera on it's way?
A: 2012 is going to be a very exciting year, and that news is already out there, [referring to the mirrorless camera], although we can't go into details. Also we will be looking to grow strongly in the Digital SLR market.
Sure it does... it makes the chumps on forums reconsider jumping ship for a few months waiting for magical unicorn cameras from Pentax.

That will never show up.

Even the Jonathan Martin interview doesn't actually promise anything, just vaguely confirms that they'll release something in the future (shocker!) with no timeline, and promises that 2012 will be 'very exciting' (shocker #2!). A forum member with zero data made basically the same statement concocted from pure marketing-speak.

01-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Sure it does... it makes the chumps on forums reconsider jumping ship for a few months waiting for magical unicorn cameras from Pentax.

That will never show up.
That's why - the name of this thread is "GXR K-mount rumor"
01-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

That will never show up.
Who are you calling a chump? I intend to stay with Pentax and I expect lots more great gear to come. Are you trying to infer that Pentax is folding?
01-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Or they could address different markets, with the GXR market being a bit more upscale. Would K-mountors and PK-mount cameras parasitize each others customers, as you say an M-mountor and M-mount MILC would do? Or would the availability of multiple platforms encourage multiple body purchases? Think of converging product 'upgrade' streams, K- and M-mount.
This. ^

It depends on who does the market analysis; it can be like stats, you can find stats to 'prove' almost anything.

It would give some continuity between the 'two companies,' opening up the sales of Pentax glass to existing GXR customers, and giving Pentax shooters another option, while retaining their glass.
If they could drop the pricing on the GRX, it could be the 'Pentax entry-level' - GRX 12MP or 16MP K-mount, with a prime, 16-45, 18-55..pricing would be the issue, but maybe it's possible. I could see people going 'both ways,' GRX/K as potential entry DLSR, GRX existing owners wanting to use some older or newer Pentax glass, buying the module alone, and Pentax DSLR owners buying it as a second body or backup, maybe to try out some other glass as well.
?
01-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Who are you calling a chump?
Anyone who pins their hopes on vague marketing palaver.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Are you trying to infer that Pentax is folding?
I'm flat out saying Pentax needs to get it's sh!t together. It grows less relevant as a major camera company by the day. They're down to a two DSLR lineup, one discontinued,a bunch of non-descript P&Ss, and the Q - a really expensive P&S. They need to communicate their plans, clearly and plainly, if they have them. Really, nothing at CES? Don't need a working prototype; just a rendering, a camera shaped block of wood, an actual acknowledgement of a product, anything? Fact is, despite all the wishful thinking what's actually come out of Pencoh/Ritax has been zilch, zip, zero, squadouche

So since they're not announcing anything my guess is they got plenty of nothing... except a userbase that they believe can be strung along on breadcrumbs indefinitely.
01-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Yeah, the sky is falling, run to the caves!
You're making the false assumption they would want to show us internal roadmaps and unfinished products. Well, they don't.
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Those who think Pentax is failing can always switch to Canikonympan.
01-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Anyone who pins their hopes on vague marketing palaver.

I'm flat out saying Pentax needs to get it's sh!t together. It grows less relevant as a major camera company by the day. They're down to a two DSLR lineup, one discontinued,a bunch of non-descript P&Ss, and the Q - a really expensive P&S. They need to communicate their plans, clearly and plainly, if they have them. Really, nothing at CES? Don't need a working prototype; just a rendering, a camera shaped block of wood, an actual acknowledgement of a product, anything? Fact is, despite all the wishful thinking what's actually come out of Pencoh/Ritax has been zilch, zip, zero, squadouche

So since they're not announcing anything my guess is they got plenty of nothing... except a userbase that they believe can be strung along on breadcrumbs indefinitely.
There are a lot of paranoid fools who are obviously clueless on the workings of business. Ricoh bought Pentax with a strategy to pursue Canon, their nearest rival in the copier business. They CANNOT stop delivering cameras in the next few years. They must make a valiant attempt to fulfill the promises they made to their board. It is incomprehensible that they would throw in the towel in the next few years.

Ricoh Pentax Imaging is all of three months old. They've stated repeatedly and clearly that they intend to grow the Pentax brand. That should be good enough for anyone but a total pessimist or a Pentax hater.
01-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yeah, the sky is falling, run to the caves!
You're making the false assumption they would want to show us internal roadmaps and unfinished products. Well, they don't.
Ah, the song of the fanboy.

Yep, no other camera maker has ever released a roadmap or a prototype.

Oh wait, yes they have. They do it all the time in fact. And we've been being fed this particular rumor wrapped in different paper for a couple of years now, and it's never come to pass.

So no one said the sky is falling, simply that I don't believe Pentax has any great new products in pipeline, and I've seen zero evidence other than hopes and dreams to disabuse me of that notion. Not seen any dispute of the fact that they are now a company with ONE DSLR currently in production.

But the sarcasm tipped me over the edge and I believe in the Pentax Way again . Of course any pragmatism about Mother Church/Pentax is heresy. So never mind me, back to the squabbling about how great the Q is and the wonderful new FF cameras (and oh the lenses!) that I'm now convinced will be announced very shortly at some indeterminate time in the future, after a little more discussion.

Maybe.