Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #46
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I'm not sure a GXR K-mount module will be mirrorless, at least not if it will support AF. If AF is to be close to a DSLR performance (or even other mirrorless systems) the module need phase detect AF sensor, which at the moment I think can only be done with a mirror (like in Sony SLT cameras).

If using contrast detect AF with K-mount lenses AF will be slow, and continous AF will not be very useful. If they choose this option I don't see what market they are after, as a kit with GXR-body, K-mount module and EVF will probably be more expensive than K5. And it will not be much smaller, have much slower AF and might not include shake reduction.

But they might go for a cheap simple manual focus only module. This will not require much R&D as they already have the M-mount module.
GXR is already mirrorless. Module are just sensor with electronics + lens mount.

There is new patent from Ricoh for SR in modules for GXR.

Anyway, it seems to me - K-module could be manual focus. Like M-mount.

01-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
OK, my turn. I agree with your conclusion but I hope you did not intend to imply that Ricoh's camera strategy is based on the presence of Canon as an office printer/copier competitor. These markets and product families are too dissimilar to link. Ricoh would drive itself nuts trying to intertwine camera developments with high-volume printing marketing.
I didn't make it up, but I cannot find the reference where Ricoh actually mentioned going after Canon. I assume the point is to compete with Canon on two fronts instead of just copiers. If they are successful, it weakens Canon and bolsters Ricoh.

Ricoh also sees a link between commercial and consumer product lines and wants to become more invested in the consumer market. I don't quite see what this has to do with Pentax, but apparently Ricoh does. I suppose it's because Pentax markets to consumers and Ricoh to businesses:

"The goal of the Acquisition is to establish a firmer presence in the consumer business, which has been a considerable challenge for Ricoh. Ricoh believes that the borderline between office and home will fade and this will be reflected in a major change in products and services. Ricoh aims to provide more consumer–oriented offerings not only in the field of digital cameras but also video conferencing systems, network appliances, and others, to their customers around the world. The Acquisition is the first step in this direction."
http://www.ricoh.com/release/2011/pdf/0701.pdf

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-18-2012 at 09:25 AM.
01-18-2012, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Anyway, it seems to me - K-module could be manual focus. Like M-mount.
If that were the case there is no point it buying that. Could just buy an M-mount + adaptor.
01-18-2012, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
If that were the case there is no point it buying that. Could just buy an M-mount + adaptor.
After having spent some time adapting various lenses to a MFT camera, I would prefer a module that is designed to accept the lens mount. It's the main reason I won't get a Sony NEX 7. They have one good lens and their solution at least for now seems to be buy an adapter. Regardless of the relative merits of the cameras Fuji seems to have a better handle on this than Sony. They are releasing three good prime lenses with the camera with an 6 additional lenses already scheduled for later 2012/2013. As a GXR user I would be very interested in a K mount module.

01-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Round 1236: FIGHT!
Whoa.

Take this post (your attitude re: "the sky is falling" and "FF NEVER" threads);
add your frequent links to awesome legacy FA glass;
stir in a little Adam (the K-mount is NOT going away x3 or 4)
and one might begin to wonder if something really groundbreaking is being tested under NDA's.
01-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
So no one said the sky is falling, simply that I don't believe Pentax has any great new products in pipeline, and I've seen zero evidence other than hopes and dreams to disabuse me of that notion.
Nor have you seen anything to make you believe that they WON'T be introducing anything new...yet you choose not to be pragmatic and instead believe that a company who owns two well-known brands of cameras will just stop where they are now. Sorry, but that is "chicken little" thinking.

Edited to add: Has Ricoh always done timelines for their photography products? Or are we expecting them to do something they've never done before?

Last edited by TaoMaas; 01-18-2012 at 10:47 AM.
01-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
one might begin to wonder if something really groundbreaking is being tested under NDA's.
Yes, the new camera from Ricoh/Pentax will use the human eyes to record images and store them in your brain. A specially devised USB stick will have to be inserted in your left ear to download the images.

01-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Yes, the new camera from Ricoh/Pentax will use the human eyes to record images and store them in your brain. A specially devised USB stick will have to be inserted in your left ear to download the images.
Be sure to use a fresh roll of toilet paper for printing.
[/me based this line on an actual joke]
01-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Be sure to use a fresh roll of toilet paper for printing.
Matt or Gloss?
01-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Matt or Gloss?
Gloss for macros, matte for portraits.
01-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
People calm down. Take the fact that Pentax has virtually NO marketing in consideration. With their marketing "history" it could well be they have a brilliant machine planned for some date in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be suddenly there without any announcement.
01-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #57
ogl
Banned

Original Poster

16MP sensor
ISO range: 200 - 25600
EVF which will simulate the pentaprism design
The built-in flash will have a GN=10 (Guide Number)
5-axis shake reduction
Fast AF & 3D tracking
Two colors will be available: black and silver
Weather sealed magnesium body
Camera width: 121mm
Weight: 425g
Release date: late March, 2012

The last Pentax train is gone...?
01-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I like the design, but I suspect it's just some photoshop work. No way they would copy the exact mirror box of the OM series including the shutter speed ring around the bayonet and the mirror lock up knob. Also note the color differences...
01-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I like the design, but I suspect it's just some photoshop work.
It's probably photoshop work.

And honestly, if it looks anything like this, I think it's retro gone way too far. While the pentaprism housing of the OM-1 certainly was beautiful, it's just silly to copy that for an all-electronic camera. Actually, after an initial positive reaction, I'm beginning to think that the Fuji XP-1 design is a bit silly too. The retro design is nice, but it's simply too much of a Leica rip-off, and besides, it's a remarkably big camera when compared to the NEX-7.
01-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
And honestly, if it looks anything like this, I think it's retro gone way too far. While the pentaprism housing of the OM-1 certainly was beautiful, it's just silly to copy that for an all-electronic camera. Actually, after an initial positive reaction, I'm beginning to think that the Fuji XP-1 design is a bit silly too. The retro design is nice, but it's simply too much of a Leica rip-off, and besides, it's a remarkably big camera when compared to the NEX-7.
Indeed; I even found it very big when compared to the K-x!

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Something went wrong here...