Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GXR K-mount rumor

CES 2012 photography news blog; final day (updates Saturday) news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

Ricoh may launch a Pentax K-mount version of its GXR system, as well as a variable-angle LCD monitor. Ricoh's Digital Camera business development manager Keisuke 'Keith' Minagoshi told AP that a K-mount module or adapter was 'still under discussion'. Ricoh also confirmed that 'some suppliers' of parts for the GXR were badly hit by last year's Thailand floods and production has not yet returned to normal. Ayumi Saito, from the group's marketing division, said the firm has raised production since but would not reveal current levels.

01-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

oh that would be great. I will buy one, that's for sure!
01-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sinister Quote
oh that would be great. I will buy one, that's for sure!
I think it's more then a rumor, because it's a rather obvious accessory.

I'm even thinking it would be a good course. Pentax maintaining DSLRs and Ricoh providing the mirrorless.
01-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #4

so we get "two" Mirrorless out of Ricoh + Q

Wow, that is quite "bold" or the K-Mount-Mirrorless will be "high-end" (for MILCs)

01-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I think it's more then a rumor, because it's a rather obvious accessory.
I'd go a little further and say it would be a bit weird if a GXR K-mount module wasn't in the pipeline. But I do hope that a dedicated APS-C (or larger) mirrorless body is also being readied for market. 2012 seems to be the year of mirrorless, and I'd hate for my favourite camera company to miss the boat.
01-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
I'd go a little further and say it would be a bit weird if a GXR K-mount module wasn't in the pipeline. But I do hope that a dedicated APS-C (or larger) mirrorless body is also being readied for market. 2012 seems to be the year of mirrorless, and I'd hate for my favourite camera company to miss the boat.
Pentax/Ricoh has the Q and the GXR. That's enough mirrorless, don't you think? More then enough imho. Pentax has made only 1 official statement: they're going more towards pro/prosumer equipment. That doesn't mean even more bridgecameras, but real DSLRs.
01-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
I'd go a little further and say it would be a bit weird if a GXR K-mount module wasn't in the pipeline.
I agree. Why would a company build a camera that takes the lenses of other manufacturers, but not their own?

01-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66:
I'd go a little further and say it would be a bit weird if a GXR K-mount module wasn't in the pipeline.
I agree. Why would a company build a camera that takes the lenses of other manufacturers, but not their own?
Ricoh has released an M mountor for GXR. M-mount is Leica. I've elsewhere mentioned my hunch: this signals that an upcoming Pentax APS MILC will be M-mount, register= 27.8mm. We shall see, eh?
01-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ricoh has released an M mountor for GXR. M-mount is Leica. I've elsewhere mentioned my hunch: this signals that an upcoming Pentax APS MILC will be M-mount, register= 27.8mm. We shall see, eh?
I knew that they had a M-mount module. That's why I posted what I did. While it would be interesting for Ricoh to release an APS-C MILC in M-mount, I highly doubt that will happen this time around. The market is too small. How many people who own Leica lenses are really in dire need of a cheaper camera to mount them on? I suspect that, if someone is buying Leica gear, money is not a problem for them. lol
01-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I knew that they had a M-mount module. That's why I posted what I did. While it would be interesting for Ricoh to release an APS-C MILC in M-mount, I highly doubt that will happen this time around. The market is too small. How many people who own Leica lenses are really in dire need of a cheaper camera to mount them on? I suspect that, if someone is buying Leica gear, money is not a problem for them. lol
Actually sounds like people are using it as a bridge to get into Leica gear -- they can focus on the lenses first and get a real Leica body later (so they think). It is not a bad way to go since the lenses don't lose their value or actually become worth more.
01-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Actually sounds like people are using it as a bridge to get into Leica gear -- they can focus on the lenses first and get a real Leica body later (so they think). It is not a bad way to go since the lenses don't lose their value or actually become worth more.
That's the beauty of leica (including well maintained Film bodies - Digital less so) is the way they hold value. Despite the high up front cost it is a very low cost of ownership once you sell off the product.
01-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I may be interested in a GXR K-mount but I would like to see an APS-C sensor module with better noise performance and resolution than the one they have now. Hopefully they refresh the GXR body at the same time. I like the GXR concept.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.
01-16-2012, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
CES 2012 photography news blog; final day (updates Saturday) news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

Ricoh may launch a Pentax K-mount version of its GXR system, as well as a variable-angle LCD monitor. Ricoh's Digital Camera business development manager Keisuke 'Keith' Minagoshi told AP that a K-mount module or adapter was 'still under discussion'. Ricoh also confirmed that 'some suppliers' of parts for the GXR were badly hit by last year's Thailand floods and production has not yet returned to normal. Ayumi Saito, from the group's marketing division, said the firm has raised production since but would not reveal current levels.
In other news Hugh Hefner announced he was 'still considering' entering the priesthood.

A 'K-mount module or adapter' that's 'still under discussion' basically means nothing.
01-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

A Ricoh K mount may seem obvious, but I guess there's a LOT of discussion that's got to take place about how that's gonna work alongside Pentax's OWN k-mount MILC.
01-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #15

the others are doing it

if Pentax were to have a mirrorless, it should be MX, similar to this one?
Olympus Set to Announce Retro OM-styled Micro Four Thirds Camera

with Fujifilm and now Olympus doing it, is there room for a Pentax model? possibly K mount, or is the register distance too much a problem?