Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #1516
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 443
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Based on the leaked photo of the back buttons...

Would it have killed them [Pentax] to have kept the multi-function 4 button circular group the same labels/functions as they have on the K-5? I mean, I learn which button to push for WB, Flash and Drive mode w/o having to look, and this camera changes the positioning of every one of them?!!!

Yes, it sucks and is totally dumb on Pentax's part.

02-01-2012, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #1517
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Berlin, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 151
Not sure whether I like the design - have to see it in reality. BUT imagine it was WR (still hope it is), add the 15 / 21 and 70 limiteds XS, and you are ready for traveling light and high quality (although the 40 is an odd focal length, and I much rather had a 28). Now design a strap with two little boxes for the additional lenses (remember the old times? ;-) ), and this is the quality tourist cam. At least that would be the equipment I'd take anywhere: city, outdoor, biking, you name it.
Oh, and please, Pentax, make an OVF or EVF as accessory. :-)
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #1518
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
Not sure whether I like the design - have to see it in reality. BUT imagine it was WR (still hope it is), add the 15 / 21 and 70 limiteds XS, and you are ready for traveling light and high quality (although the 40 is an odd focal length, and I much rather had a 28). Now design a strap with two little boxes for the additional lenses (remember the old times? ;-) ), and this is the quality tourist cam. At least that would be the equipment I'd take anywhere: city, outdoor, biking, you name it.
Oh, and please, Pentax, make an OVF or EVF as accessory. :-)
well if it's those 4 lenses than a turret OVF would be perfect. unfortunately this has the wrong FL for the purpose(28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85m and 135mm FF FOV) but the right idea (I have one too bad the lens FL doesn't match up )

02-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #1519
Veteran Member
parsons's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 389
QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
Not sure whether I like the design - have to see it in reality. BUT imagine it was WR (still hope it is), add the 15 / 21 and 70 limiteds XS, and you are ready for traveling light and high quality (although the 40 is an odd focal length, and I much rather had a 28). Now design a strap with two little boxes for the additional lenses (remember the old times? ;-) ), and this is the quality tourist cam. At least that would be the equipment I'd take anywhere: city, outdoor, biking, you name it.
Oh, and please, Pentax, make an OVF or EVF as accessory. :-)
Absolutely! +1

02-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #1520
Veteran Member
macTak's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 759
I must say I am a bit surprised by the design, especially considering serval sources had hinted it was like nothing we've ever seen before. I would hardly go that far.... I can't say I like the design, yet. I did not actually like the design of the Q when I saw the pictures, but once I saw it in person in grew on me--the proportions ended up better seeing it at its real (small) size. The only think I really like on it so far is the shot of the top controls (on/off switch, etc), which looks very clean and fresh, while still reminding one of an older mechanical shutter with lock (or a cam). Also, reinterpreting the green button as a pure green button, and (I presume) the recording button as a pure read button is a clever new twist. As to the K-01 body itself, to me it looks like a cross between the K1000, the Q, and the A3000. Hmmm...
02-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #1521
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Berlin, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 151
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
well if it's those 4 lenses than a turret OVF would be perfect. unfortunately this has the wrong FL for the purpose(28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85m and 135mm FF FOV) but the right idea (I have one too bad the lens FL doesn't match up )

I was speaking of traveling light, though. Looks as if it weighs more than the K-01...
02-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #1522
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Would it have killed them [Pentax] to have kept the multi-function 4 button circular group the same labels/functions as they have on the K-5? I mean, I learn which button to push for WB, Flash and Drive mode w/o having to look, and this camera changes the positioning of every one of them?!!!
I had the same complaint with the Q. At least this is the same as the Q, so they didn't change it yet again.

I also thought of something they could use all that extra mirror box space for, and that would actually make the camera somewhat interesting to me:

Put the IR cut filter on a hinge in front of the shutter. Lift it up when I press the red (as in IR) button, optionally lift a visible light cut off filter off the bottom of the chaimber, and we have a cool feature no DSLR or MILC has as far as i know. (There is a Sigma DSLR where the filter is easy to remove, but not that easy.)
02-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #1523
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 443
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I had the same complaint with the Q. At least this is the same as the Q, so they didn't change it yet again.

I also thought of something they could use all that extra mirror box space for, and that would actually make the camera somewhat interesting to me:

Put the IR cut filter on a hinge in front of the shutter. Lift it up when I press the red (as in IR) button, optionally lift a visible light cut off filter off the bottom of the chaimber, and we have a cool feature no DSLR or MILC has as far as i know. (There is a Sigma DSLR where the filter is easy to remove, but not that easy.)

I guess I never gave the Q enough of my attention to see that the 4-way buttons were different.

Still seems like a dumb idea to change the 4-way buttons around for no good reason.,

Dave

02-01-2012, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #1524
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote

I was speaking of traveling light, though. Looks as if it weighs more than the K-01...
lol, it's actually not bad. the bakelite case it comes in though is huge . I use it for my wide angle Jupiter 12 and zone focus when shooting street shots (added benefit is I can shoot both eyes open with it for the most part. and of course you can use it for a borg costume come halloween
02-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #1525
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
I guess I never gave the Q enough of my attention to see that the 4-way buttons were different.

Still seems like a dumb idea to change the 4-way buttons around for no good reason.,
I didn't notice either until I tried to use one. And of course it's stupid, but that's just how it is with consumer products, change for change's sake.
02-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #1526
Veteran Member
parsons's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 389
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I had the same complaint with the Q. At least this is the same as the Q, so they didn't change it yet again.

I also thought of something they could use all that extra mirror box space for, and that would actually make the camera somewhat interesting to me:

Put the IR cut filter on a hinge in front of the shutter. Lift it up when I press the red (as in IR) button, optionally lift a visible light cut off filter off the bottom of the chaimber, and we have a cool feature no DSLR or MILC has as far as i know. (There is a Sigma DSLR where the filter is easy to remove, but not that easy.)
thats a good point- they surely must have been thinking to put it to use some how.

otherwise its almost just a waste of space
02-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #1527
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Photos of ther battery door makes me think it is not weather-sealed.
Ya think? I put those photos up a while back. It's amazing how much is being written about this camera and its not even officially been unveiled yet.
02-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #1528
Veteran Member
parsons's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 389
i pray to god that the play button doubles as a LV one, and there is a viewfinder hidden in that bump.
02-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #1529
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,450
Green button is . . . Green Button. Red button is Record (I'd guess). That's probably a Marc Newsom thing.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-01-2012 at 01:56 PM.
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #1530
Pentaxian
Raffwal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 64°57' North
Posts: 806
The beauty of that thing is in the eye of the beholder. The sensor rocks. The size might work for me. But no viewfinder - really? With no built-in VF I have no interest in the gadget. Hope that part of the rumour is inaccurate.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-01, k-01 mirrorless camera, mirrorless, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the new pentax mirrorless coming out tomorrow? justtakingpics Pentax News and Rumors 12 07-26-2011 06:22 AM
There may not be a 2nd mirrorless camera rustynail925 Pentax News and Rumors 5 06-29-2011 05:36 PM
Mirrorless Camera--Good or Bad? InStitches49 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 11-10-2010 10:15 PM
[RUMOR] Canon's First Mirrorless Camera! jct us101 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 12 09-14-2010 08:08 PM
New Pentax: K-5, K-r and Mirrorless models coming JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 32 08-08-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top