Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #1786
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I really really want to love it . but its again aiming to the more tourists amateur crowed and not to what most of us here are people that take their hobby / profession very seriously.

Even thou the kind of photography I do is a glorified snap shooting , no VF in the speed that is need in the street probably will not work.

I will wait until its in store thou to go and try it out BC I really want to love it
Ok, even though I disagree, let it be aimed for tourist amateurs - I don't care: it brings cash for K-Mount! That means investments

02-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #1787
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sinister Quote
Ok, even though I disagree, let it be aimed for tourist amateurs - I don't care: it brings cash for K-Mount! That means investments
agree and take I it back , if looking from the LCD is fast enough and clear enough for me I would most likely will get this camera
02-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #1788
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks cool in the Pentax website!

PENTAX - K-01 Black
02-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #1789
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I really really want to love it . but its again aiming to the more tourists amateur crowed and not to what most of us here are people that take their hobby / profession very seriously.

Even thou the kind of photography I do is a glorified snap shooting , no VF in the speed that is need in the street probably will not work.

I will wait until its in store thou to go and try it out BC I really want to love it
I take my photography very seriously, and will be taking the K-5, K-01, and a fistfull of DA Limiteds on my next motorcycle travel assignment for sure. I'm also looking forward to the whisper quiet shutter

02-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #1790
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't see a lot to complain about except for the lack of the EVF. Overall specs are pretty good, with video specs exceeding any Pentax camera to this point. Paired with DA limiteds/FA limiteds it is a lot more portable than a K5.

Just seems like this camera is exactly what the Q should have been when it was released and it feels like a very good value for specs item.
02-02-2012, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #1791
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I don't know what plans Pentax has, but a mirrorless camera with one of the best APS-C sensors sounds like enthusiast-level to me. I can't see a camera like this having been planned to get the attention of soccer-moms and P&S shooters.
It's an old sensor now with a number of new products coming before year end (K5 replacement will almost definitely be a 24mp sensor from Sony)
KR replacement will probably have the same sensor as this
FF will hopefully be the 36mp sensor (assuming there is a FF of course)
It is a higher end entry mirrorless. IQ will destroy any m4/3 camera (and iq is the reason many move up to start). Good to excellent AF lens selection already destroys all other mirrorless. Size is the biggest downfall, but if you went into a shop and picked it up with the pancake then picked up a comparable nex they wouldn't be all that different. then put the 50-200 zoom on and a nex equivalent (is there one?) the difference will start to show right away with better balance being in Pentax' favour
Certainly it will take some marketing to move it, and distribution needs to be addressed in the US badly, and elsewhere could be improved
Will the looks turn some people off. certainly but then the NEX looks also turn off some people who may well like this (I can't stand the nex design myself)
02-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #1792
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
What gave you the idea this is enthusiast level? it's the entry level mirrorless. the 899 release price with the 40 will be 749 by christmas just like the kr price path.
the enthusiat mirrorless (when/If it comes will have either built in or optional EVF)
Too high for entry-level.

The K-m was entry-level. the Oly EP-M1 is entry-level and EPL-2 as well, and they come with zooms which are far more P&S upgrade consumer-friendly than a prime.

02-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #1793

Even though I think the K01 is not THE big step forward i know a lot of people (Hunters primarily) that will definitely enjoy a whisper-silent camera with a huge lens range available! Let's see what comes next! I myself am looking forward to be testing one of these, especially because my girlfriend likes the design, so i might finally get a girlfriend with a camera herself
02-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #1794
ogl
Banned

The camera does not feature and electronic viewfinder, but could support an optical viewfinder in the flash hot shoe. The cameras screen is used for live view and focusing appeared reasonably quick, although not as quick as the quickest mirrorless cameras available.

Pentax K-01 Mirrorless Camera Hands-On Review
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #1795
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
. then put the 50-200 zoom on and a nex equivalent (is there one?)
yes, there's a 55-210 and it's slower (4.5-6.3) and much longer and heavier (345 g) then the Pentax.
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #1796
Veteran Member

big step in a positive direction

This camera is a big step in a positive direction:

- ability to use all of my pentax lenses (DA, FA, A, M, Taks...)
- focus peaking
- quiet shutter
- mirrorless (I think we will gradually come to understand the different benefits of this technology even though right now I am not that clear on them)
- supposed a much faster auto focus
- top of the line image quality (a la K-5) for a big discount

All of those things are things I have been wishing for.

The biggest let-down is the lack of a super view finder. This is what kills me.
And I think there are a huge number of people who are DYING to recapture the amazing view finder experience that you get from looking through a bright giant finder like on a LX, MX, ME, Super etc but without having to spend $1000s and carry around GIANT cameras. I suspect many many people who cry out for a full frame pentax are really just crying out for the big bright viewfinder.

The first camera maker to give the market this beautiful view finder in a decent size and cost will be so successful (assuming the rest of the camera is on par).

I'll end with a question: is the K-01 hotshoe even capable supporting an electronic viewfinder?
(Where is Falk ... maybe he can answer this question).

- Sam (can't wait to try out my super tak 85mm on the K-01 with focus peaking).

PS/EDIT: Looks like Ogl says that a hotshoe mounted EVF is technically possible. Cool!
(Made my font smaller)

Last edited by sameagle; 02-02-2012 at 10:52 AM.
02-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #1797
Veteran Member

It's interesting that the K-01's launch and design seem to have been led from outside of Japan. That seems something of a cultural shift.

Pentax JP also still have nothing on their web site about the camera.
02-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #1798
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote
I'll end with a question: is the K-01 hotshoe even capable supporting an electronic viewfinder?
Sure - just mount a LCD field monitor on the hotshoe. The K-01 does a full live HDMI feed. There are lots of options for them - just browse B&H or eBay.
02-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #1799
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote
This camera is a big step in a positive direction:

- ability to use all of my pentax lenses (DA, FA, A, M, Taks...)
- focus peaking
- quiet shutter
- mirrorless (I think we will gradually come to understand the different benefits of this technology even though right now I am not that clear on them)
- supposed a much faster auto focus
- top of the line image quality (a la K-5) for a big discount

All of those things are things I have been wishing for.

The biggest let-down is the lack of a super view finder. This is what kills me.
And I think there are a huge number of people who are DYING to recapture the amazing view finder experience that you get from looking through a bright giant finder like on a LX, MX, ME, Super etc but without having to spend $1000s and carry around GIANT cameras. I suspect many many people who cry out for a full frame pentax are really just crying out for the big bright viewfinder.

The first camera maker to give the market this beautiful view finder in a decent size and cost will be so successful (assuming the rest of the camera is on par).

(Where is Falk ... maybe he can answer this question).

- Sam (can't wait to try out my super tak 85mm on the K-01 with focus peaking).

PS/EDIT: Looks like Ogl says that a hotshoe mounted EVF is technically possible. Cool!
Wow... subtle fonts.

Falk mentioned on another threat that an accessory EVF off the shoe is impossible. I'd concur.
02-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #1800

Photos: Albums
YUP, i agreed with EDDIE, leave the soccer mom out of this forum please!!, she would not want to deal with this all new camera.
I like the best factor is that K-01 uses K mount,....i do have lenses ready for it...and its all prime lenses too...it will look very strange with K-01 body though, cuz my lenses are all F2.8 prime.
Very true now i can have the best of both worlds, K5 in smaller body..hahahaha, Nikon and Canon can you dig this????...
I was saving for the new Fujifilm XP-1 mirrorless, but im so happy PEntax came just on time.