Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #1816
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Just found out that this is very similarly priced to the K-5... I can understand the benefits, video and size wise and all that, but honestly? Why would I buy this over the K-5?
Where are you people finding these k-5s for $750..? It's like minimum $999 as far as I can see..

And are we comparing the current price of a nearly 2 year old camera to the MSRP of a completely new camera?

02-02-2012, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #1817
Pentaxian

I like it - Terrific!!!

Regards the K01 visual appeal, folks didn't initially like the looks of the Nex series either, at least i didn't, so i think the Pentax will eventually grow its appeal.

I'm convinced that down the line, there is a K01 in my future. Its an excellent backup to my K5. Once you've experienced the joy of working with a K5 16 mpx sensor files, one doesn't want to give it up. The K01 is an excellent backup to the K5 and/or a compact travel camera with great image quality.

I'm starting to see the K01 as a bare sensor, with a lithium battery and an lcd that can be attached to K mount lenses. Love the idea.

As far as the evf, my qualm is being able to see the lcd in bright daylight. When i buy one, i'm thinking one of those Hoodman style devices that would fit over the LCD and shield out the sun would do the trick.

CINEMA KIT (NEW)-Hoodman Corporation

(looks a bit cumbersome, but solves the problem with daylight usage of lcds)

Comparing the K01 to Canon and Nikon mirrorless, i think Pentax comes out on top for these reasons:

a. Canon's G1x sensor is about 4/3 size with IQ less than Pentax. Has a fixed lens so lacks flexibility in lens usage.

b. Nikon's sensor is even smaller than the Canon's G1x sensor.

Seems apparent that neither Nikon or Canon wanted their mirrorless compacts to eat into their lucrative dslr model sales. What they've overlooked is that there is nothing to stop large sensor compacts from Sony, Fuji or Pentax (yea) from eating into their dslr sales.

I think Pentax came out a winner on this one, much relieved to see how well they did.

I'm a bit puzzled about the lack of a Tav mode on the exposure dial. Does anyone know if there is an auto iso process for the K01?

Go Pentax!!
02-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #1818
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
And are we comparing the current price of a nearly 2 year old camera to the MSRP of a completely new camera?
Welcome to the Internet!
02-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #1819
Pentaxian

Shuttersound

Maybe I missed it, but has someone any idea if it has a silent shutter like K-5 or like K-r/K-x?

I like it that it has the same battery as K-5!

02-02-2012, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #1820
Pentaxian

I would like a not to expensive optical viewfinder matching with the 40mm.
02-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #1821
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm a bit puzzled about the lack of a Tav mode on the exposure dial.!
How do you do TAv with one e-dial?
02-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #1822
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Welcome to the Internet!
Gosh dangit, I knew I should have stayed on my telegraph machine instead of coming onto this newfangled interwebs.

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Regards the K01 visual appeal, folks didn't initially like the looks of the Nex series either, at least i didn't, so i think the Pentax will eventually grow its appeal.

I'm convinced that down the line, there is a K01 in my future. Its an excellent backup to my K5. Once you've experienced the joy of working with a K5 16 mpx sensor files, one doesn't want to give it up. The K01 is an excellent backup to the K5 and/or a compact travel camera with great image quality.

I'm starting to see the K01 as a bare sensor, with a lithium battery and an lcd that can be attached to K mount lenses. Love the idea.

As far as the evf, my qualm is being able to see the lcd in bright daylight. When i buy one, i'm thinking one of those Hoodman style devices that would fit over the LCD and shield out the sun would do the trick.

CINEMA KIT (NEW)-Hoodman Corporation

(looks a bit cumbersome, but solves the problem with daylight usage of lcds)

Comparing the K01 to Canon and Nikon mirrorless, i think Pentax comes out on top for these reasons:

a. Canon's G1x sensor is about 4/3 size with IQ less than Pentax. Has a fixed lens so lacks flexibility in lens usage.

b. Nikon's sensor is even smaller than the Canon's G1x sensor.

Seems apparent that neither Nikon or Canon wanted their mirrorless compacts to eat into their lucrative dslr model sales. What they've overlooked is that there is nothing to stop large sensor compacts from Sony, Fuji or Pentax (yea) from eating into their dslr sales.

I think Pentax came out a winner on this one, much relieved to see how well they did.

I'm a bit puzzled about the lack of a Tav mode on the exposure dial. Does anyone know if there is an auto iso process for the K01?

Go Pentax!!
I think you got it right - the K-01 is meant to embarass the G1x and the V1/J1 in specs. It's practically better than any 4/3s camera in IQ, and only Sony has anything to claim on it. To which I look at the users of the NEX groups and how they don't have as varied a lens selection as we do.
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #1823
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How do you do TAv with one e-dial?
I could have forgiven the other omissions on this camera if they had simply provided 2 dials.

02-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #1824
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I would like a not to expensive optical viewfinder matching with the 40mm.
You may find something matching the DA 21 (32mm equiv).

I found quite a few around 28mm equiv. E.g., the Ricoh GV-2:

But 60mm equiv.? Probably not ...Ricoh GV-2
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #1825
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Priced at £679 with the 40mm kit lens and you can get a K-5 for about £650 in the UK. I do like that kit lens, and I know it's well worth it's price, but for a little less I can get me another K-5... I'm still very tempted by this though, if not simply for the design and the video abilities. I need to know how the AF is though.
02-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #1826
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe I missed it, but has someone any idea if it has a silent shutter like K-5 or like K-r/K-x?
I did see a mention of a silent shutter:
'Shutter speed range from 1/4000 to 30 seconds and bulb with a silent shutter action are perfect for inconspicuous street photography.'
PENTAX - K-01 Yellow

In another blurb being quiet enough for 'concert photography' was mentioned too.

So I guess it will be as quiet or quieter than the K-5.
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #1827
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Priced at £679 with the 40mm kit lens and you can get a K-5 for about £650 in the UK. I do like that kit lens, and I know it's well worth it's price, but for a little less I can get me another K-5... I'm still very tempted by this though, if not simply for the design and the video abilities. I need to know how the AF is though.
That's the k-5 body though...

According to photozine, they say the AF is "reasonably fast, not as fast as the fastest mirrorless cameras."
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #1828
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I think you got it right - the K-01 is meant to embarass the G1x and the V1/J1 in specs. It's practically better than any 4/3s camera in IQ, and only Sony has anything to claim on it. To which I look at the users of the NEX groups and how they don't have as varied a lens selection as we do.
I wouldn't quite quite that excited. As someone who has owned (or owns) Pentax, Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, Canon, and Olympus gear at one point in time or another I'm having a very tough time making a case to myself for the K-01 over some of the other brands (and I have a soft spot for Pentax as a K1000 was my first SLR 20 years ago).

Just take Sony for example. A simple adapter can be used to mount my K-mount glass, obviously native NEX lenses can be used, Leica M glass can be adapted (huge negative with the K-01 IMO), and finally, you can buy the Sony SLT A-mount adapter for the NEX-5n or NEX-7 and mount any of Sony's Alpha lenses and have full PDAF. I hate to be negative about the K-O1, but I just don't see it as a slam dunk by any means. Especially since Olympus is about to drop the EM-5 on us next week.

The K-01 is a cool little camera. The more options the better I say, but I'm not so sure it will do much to attract non-Pentax users into the Pentax brand.
02-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #1829
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I wouldn't quite quite that excited. As someone who has owned (or owns) Pentax, Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, Canon, and Olympus gear at one point in time or another I'm having a very tough time making a case to myself for the K-01 over some of the other brands (and I have a soft spot for Pentax as a K1000 was my first SLR 20 years ago).

Just take Sony for example. A simple adapter can be used to mount my K-mount glass, obviously native NEX lenses can be used, Leica M glass can be adapted (huge negative with the K-01 IMO), and finally, you can buy the Sony SLT A-mount adapter for the NEX-5n or NEX-7 and mount any of Sony's Alpha lenses and have full PDAF. I hate to be negative about the K-O1, but I just don't see it as a slam dunk by any means. Especially since Olympus is about to drop the EM-5 on us next week.
Well yes - a simple adapter, but now you lose all electronic controls and autofocus. DA lenses won't work except wide open, and we have our own Zeiss lenses in k-mount (plus we can steal some Nikon lenses too).

So what do we tell the customers? Hey guys, we got these 7 lenses, but you can get an adapter to get these other lenses that you wont' have autofocus on, etc... or Hey guys, we got these hundred lenses you can use, from cheap to expensive, old and new.

I'm not saying it's the end all to mirrorless - I see it specifically to compete with the Nikon/Canon mirrorless options. However, it isn't going to just roll over and die compared to the Samsungs, Olympus, Panasonics, and Sonys.
02-02-2012, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #1830
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote

The K-01 is a cool little camera. The more options the better I say, but I'm not so sure it will do much to attract non-Pentax users into the Pentax brand.
I think Pentax's hedge here is that the whole adapted lens phenomena is limited and transitional. Indeed, in the Micro Four-Thirds world that I've got a foot in, it seems like fewer and fewer people are using adapted lenses as more and more good native lenses get introduced. The Olympus 45/1.8, for example, is so good that many are buying it and likely putting their vintage fast 50s back in the drawer. Besides, modern Canon and Nikon lenses don't play well adapted because they lack aperture rings, so pursuing an adapted lens strategy would be fighting within a small niche within a much bigger pond.

With that in mind, I can see the thinking behind the K-01. Pentax can rightfully claim to have the most extensive mirrorless lens lineup. And there's little doubt that the K-01 plus the DA Limited will produce images within spitting distance of the Fuji X1 Pro for a fraction of the cost.

So think about it...the guy currently hauling around a 5D/7D or D300/700 and looking to add a smaller setup has a number of options

M43
Right or wrong, they're wary of the crop factor, and their nice glass is MF so they're likely to buy native lenses

NEX
The 7 is a nice body but they don't have lenses to go with it

Samsung
Who?

Nikon 1
Toy

Canon G1X
Nice for some. Others want interchangeable

Fuji
Looks really promising, but how many are willing to pay that price premium for what is a second kit?

Leica
Would need to sell their dSLRs to fund. Aren't ready to do that

and now Pentax
Sure the body's bigger than other mirrorless alternatives, but still much smaller than what they've got now. Lens selection is really nice, especially those primes. Heard good thing about them, and the K-5 sensor. Overall, much cheaper than Fuji. $1700 gets you a body and a 3 prime kit (21, 40XS, 70). That's a price they can understand because their 7D/D300 cost that much. So that seems like a good deal.

Hope this works out for Pentax...

EDIT - some size comparisons

Last edited by johnmflores; 02-02-2012 at 12:38 PM.