Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #1831
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote

Just take Sony for example. A simple adapter can be used to mount my K-mount glass, obviously native NEX lenses can be used, Leica M glass can be adapted (huge negative with the K-01 IMO), and finally, you can buy the Sony SLT A-mount adapter for the NEX-5n or NEX-7 and mount any of Sony's Alpha lenses and have full PDAF. I hate to be negative about the K-O1, but I just don't see it as a slam dunk by any means. Especially since Olympus is about to drop the EM-5 on us next week.

The K-01 is a cool little camera. The more options the better I say, but I'm not so sure it will do much to attract non-Pentax users into the Pentax brand.
In the interest of friendly discussion:

A.
QuoteQuote:
A simple adapter can be used to mount my K-mount glass
That sounds good but it means no AF. I didn't buy AF lenses to use as manual lenses, so Nex doesn't really interest me without investing in a new system.

B.
QuoteQuote:
Leica M glass can be adapted (huge negative with the K-01 IMO),
Leica M glass is expensive, and again, NO AF.

C.
QuoteQuote:
you can buy the Sony SLT A-mount adapter for the NEX-5n or NEX-7 and mount any
of Sony's Alpha lenses and have full PDAF
To get AF, one needs a $375 adapter for the NEX, at least thats the BH price. By the time you add the AF adapter size to the A lenses size - what is one gaining from the NEX? No AF adapter needed for the K01, its native. So far, not much if any 3rd party lens support for the NEX, but that is likely going to change.

Of the mirrorless cameras out there, the NEX, the Fuji latest one, and the K01 are the only ones that interest me because i would rather not give up any IQ advantages. The Fuji sensor, may indeed outclass the 16Mpx sensor, but at $1700, not including lenses, i think, its not cheap by any means. With the Pentax K01 likely to reach $600 selling point, one can invest in some quality glass or manual glass at really cheap ebay prices, and be right into high quality images at very little cost.

I think the Pentax could be the college student's dream camera, or the enthusiast who doesn't want to invest a lot, or as a backup camera to the K5 or K5 follow-on camera, etc. NEX 5n is a price competitor but doesn't have a hotshoe - big whoops.

Pentax/Ricoh has been quite clever with this model's positioning, it doesn't hurt that the video specs are so good.

Phil

02-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #1832

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I think Pentax's hedge here is that the whole adapted lens phenomena is limited and transitional. Indeed, in the Micro Four-Thirds world that I've got a foot in, it seems like fewer and fewer people are using adapted lenses as more and more good native lenses get introduced. The Olympus 45/1.8, for example, is so good that many are buying it and likely putting their vintage fast 50s back in the drawer. Besides, modern Canon and Nikon lenses don't play well adapted because they lack aperture rings, so pursuing an adapted lens strategy would be fighting within a small niche within a much bigger pond.

With that in mind, I can see the thinking behind the K-01. Pentax can rightfully claim to have the most extensive mirrorless lens lineup. And there's little doubt that the K-01 plus the DA Limited will produce images within spitting distance of the Fuji X1 Pro for a fraction of the cost.

So think about it...the guy currently hauling around a 5D/7D or D300/700 and looking to add a smaller setup has a number of options

M43
Right or wrong, they're wary of the crop factor, and their nice glass is MF so they're likely to buy native lenses

NEX
The 7 is a nice body but they don't have lenses to go with it

Samsung
Who?

Nikon 1
Toy

Canon G1X
Nice for some. Others want interchangeable

Fuji
Looks really promising, but how many are willing to pay that price premium for what is a second kit?

Leica
Would need to sell their dSLRs to fund. Aren't ready to do that

and now Pentax
Sure the body's bigger than other mirrorless alternatives, but still much smaller than what they've got now. Lens selection is really nice, especially those primes. Heard good thing about them, and the K-5 sensor. Overall, much cheaper than Fuji. $1700 gets you a body and a 3 prime kit (21, 40XS, 70). That's a price they can understand because their 7D/D300 cost that much. So that seems like a good deal.

Hope this works out for Pentax...

EDIT - some size comparisons

Post a picture comparing the K-01 to the K-x or K-r!
02-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #1833

If there was an optional EFV, is there any reason they wouldn't have announced it at the same time?

Having a hotshoe EFV could be a good thing, especially if you could upgrade it to higher resolution as technology improves. People who didn't want the size and cost wouldn't need to buy it at all, and those who wanted it could have it. Not announcing one has surely damaged the initial reaction to the K-01, and I don't see why they'd do that if they do have one planned.
02-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #1834
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the comparison tool is up now as well John

Versus K5

Compare camera dimensions side by side

which answers the dumb why not just get a K5 question. it looks small compared to it and I find the K5/& body pretty damn small as it is

next to a Kx it doesn't look as small

02-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #1835
Veteran Member

Fuji
Looks really promising, but how many are willing to pay that price premium for what is a second kit?

I'm not so sure the new Fuji is second kit material. It of course depends on the photographer.

"people on dpreview need to go easy on the insults, new images to come, we have had more time to shoot with it and the x-pro 1 is a brilliant little camera. Those who comment wanting a little more bang for their bucks should look at buying a Phase One, if that is out of the budget might I suggest the x100 or the x-pro1. I have images hanging in my galleries shot with the x100 sitting along side images from my 5D2 and my Phase and at 20x30inch you almost can't pick them. Now the x-pro1 is better again so I have total confidence that the prints will be amazing. Get out from behind your screens and take some photos, isn't that what it is all about?"

Flickr: christianfletcher617's Photostream
02-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #1836
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
Post a picture comparing the K-01 to the K-x or K-r!
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the comparison tool is up now as well John

Versus K5

which answers the dumb why not just get a K5 question. it looks small compared to it and I find the K5/& body pretty damn small as it is

next to a Kx it doesn't look as small

You're both looking at it from the point of view of a Pentaxian. I'm trying to see if this will appeal to a Canikon. If they wanted a smaller dSLR, they'd get the D5100 or T3i and use their existing lenses. But if they are looking for something different, something less "serious" but still with very good image quality, the K-01 plus primes may make sense. Buying a K-r or K-x because their 7D or D300 is too big for every day playing around, somehow doesn't makes as much sense
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #1837
Veteran Member

Another handy visual comparison, originally from Pentax UK:

02-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #1838
Veteran Member

You're both looking at it from the point of view of a Pentaxian. I'm trying to see if this will appeal to a Canikon. If they wanted a smaller dSLR, they'd get the D5100 or T3i and use their existing lenses. But if they are looking for something different, something less "serious" but still with very good image quality, the K-01 plus primes may make sense. Buying a K-r or K-x because their 7D or D300 is too big for every day playing around, somehow doesn't makes as much sense
I'm with you. side by side with a 1 dx it looks like a Q

I think the goal is to appeal to entry users though, and being able to back it up with tons of AF glass that in many cases is better than almost anything else and certainly is better than the NEx lineup.
Add Better High iso and iq than Oly or Pana, and a video system that looks as good and it would be an easy sale for a salesperson. trick is get it in their hands
I'm sure a more enthusiast model will come at some point adding WR and EVF (and maybe eve PDAF) but for now those models will be the new DSLRS. they did say earlier this year they thought they could still make a DSLR smaller with 100%OVF - could that be the kr replacement then. this camera that design style.
02-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #1839
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You may find something matching the DA 21 (32mm equiv).

I found quite a few around 28mm equiv. E.g., the Ricoh GV-2:

But 60mm equiv.? Probably not ...Ricoh GV-2
You are right, I did see those once. Also Leica has made on that can switch. Shouldn't be to hard for Pentax to make one. It could be for a single angle or with a switch (say 21mm, 40mm and 70mm).

But then cheaper then this Leica M Vari zoeker voor 21/24/28 MM Zwart - Accessoires bij CameraNU.nl

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I did see a mention of a silent shutter:
Shutter speed range from 1/4000 to 30 seconds and bulb with a silent shutter action are perfect for inconspicuous street photography.'
PENTAX - K-01 Yellow

In another blurb being quiet enough for 'concert photography' was mentioned too.

So I guess it will be as quiet or quieter than the K-5.
Thanks, that would be great. I just love this thing (in yellow) for leisure.

EDIT - some size comparisons
Next to D4/1Dx it even looks better. But this is to compete with Nex/micro 4/3 and entry level dslr like 1100D/D3100/K-r.

My shop in The Netherlands takes pre-order for 610 euro (K-01 + DA40mm/f2.8xs) www.fotolooman.nl (not yet on the webside)
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #1840
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Next to D4/1Dx it even looks better. But this is to compete with Nex/micro 4/3 and entry level dslr like 1100D/D3100/K-r.
But there's also a market for pros looking for systems to play with. I've got one pro friend who just bought the Panasonic GX1 to complement his Canon 1DIII kit. Another shoots Nikon D3 and is coveting the Fuji Pro 1X because it reminds him of his old Contax. In one fell swoop, Pentax became a player in this particular game
02-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #1841
Veteran Member

K-01 - Pentax is back and they are looking after my needs by keeping their latest camera compatable with my kit. The camera is well under $1000 and will probably perform as well as $2000 -$5000 except for the limitations of mirrorless. Go pentax Kick ass
02-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #1842
Veteran Member

But there's also a market for pros looking for systems to play with. I've got one pro friend who just bought the Panasonic GX1 to complement his Canon 1DIII kit
It seems like, at least to me anyway, that if I were looking for a camera to compliment my large DSLR it would be the smallest option I could get that still produces respectable IQ. Right now, for me, that choice would be most likely the GX1 (just like your friend chose). There is a pretty substantial size difference between the GX1 and the K-01 (when viewed from the top to see the difference in thickness). Further, as far as lens selection goes, m4/3's really has just about the entire spectrum of what most people need covered. So I don't see that as an issue anymore (especially as soon as Panasonic releases their f/2.8 zooms in a few months). The K-01 will certainly have an IQ advantage over the GX1, but as this Canon 1D Mk II vs GX1 comparison shows, it's amazing how far 4/3's sensors have come. I personally can't imagine needing anything better than the GX1 sensor....but, of course, better is always welcome.

Oddly, I've started to view the K-01 as a video camera than can also take nice still photos...in that role it makes a great deal of sense to me.
02-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #1843
Veteran Member

It seems like, at least to me anyway, that if I were looking for a camera to compliment my large DSLR it would be the smallest option I could get that still produces respectable IQ. Right now, for me, that choice would be most likely the GX1 (just like your friend chose). There is a pretty substantial size difference between the GX1 and the K-01. Further, as far as lens selection goes, m4/3's really has just about the entire spectrum of what most people need covered. So I don't see that as an issue anymore (especially as soon as Panasonic releases their f/2.8 zooms in a few months). The K-01 will certainly have an IQ advantage over the GX1, but as this Canon 1D Mk II vs GX1 comparison shows, it's amazing how far 4/3's sensors have come. I personally can't imagine needing anything better than the GX1 sensor....but, of course, better is always welcome.

Oddly, I've started to view the K-01 as a video camera than can also take nice still photos...in that role it makes a great deal of sense to me.
The GX1 may be your choice based on your specific criteria. That doesn't mean it will be everyone's choice. I for example, have chosen the K-01.

The bigger issue not to be missed is the fact that just yesterday Pentax would not even be considered in this scenario.
02-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #1844
Veteran Member

The GX1 may be your choice based on your specific criteria.
That's why I said "at least to me"

I would never say that everyone will choose as I do. It will be interesting to see how things go. I guess we'll find out in a few months when the sales rankings come out. Right now, even though I personally think it's way overpriced, the Fuji X-Pro1 is the #1 selling mirrorless camera at Amazon. I guess we'll know in a a few days if the K-01 can come close to matching that.
02-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #1845
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's why I said "at least to me"

I would never say that everyone will choose as I do. It will be interesting to see how things go. I guess we'll find out in a few months when the sales rankings come out. Right now, even though I personally think it's way overpriced, the Fuji X-Pro1 is the #1 selling mirrorless camera at Amazon. I guess we'll know in a a few days if the K-01 can come close to matching that.
The Fuji is very expensive, but it has pretty much everything I want in a camera. If it's all they claim, I might pay the premium, but I'm going to have to test it in person.