Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #1906
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- A new prime M imaging engine
- A new 81 point CD Autofocus with a new 'focus peak' for MF
- A new 1,024 segment metering system

Now, all Pentax needs to do is to develope an EVF and stick a FF sensor in there, to bring out a truly unique and highly spec'd smallest FF AF camera out there with not much R&D needed to contain the cost. Ricoh needs to reveal this before the year ends, otherwise I truly believe Fuji will be first to the market.

02-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #1907
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote

Now, all Pentax needs to do is to develope an EVF and stick a FF sensor in there, to bring out a truly unique and highly spec'd smallest FF AF camera out there with not much R&D needed to contain the cost. Ricoh needs to reveal this before the year ends, otherwise I truly believe Fuji will be first to the market.
Great idea. I can't wait! Is the Fuji X-Mount FF compatible?
02-03-2012, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #1908
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
They would be better off developing a DA 135 f2.8 LTD than revamping the others..
Well I would like 135mm/f2.0 since the 135mm/f2.8 is part of DA*50-135mm/f2.8.

I'm still liking the K-01. So I'm gonna think about it if I order it. For K-01 yellow and DA40mm/f2.8 it's 610 euro at start. Not to bad I guess.
02-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #1909
Veteran Member

AS much as I see your point and agree with you, slamming a FF or even APS-H sensor with this current tech does have it's issues.. the PRIME M engine may be fast enough, but the buffer is still too far behind, throwing larger file sizes at it definitely will not help the burst rate for sure. The Camera body size would have to increase size ever so slightly if it was to keep it's SR function and have WR as well.. not that I would complain about the nominal size increase to gain WR and FF/APS-H sensor.. The K-01 shows great potential considering the target market for it.. can't wait for their more serious enthusiast and prosumer level camera's get to!

02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #1910
Veteran Member

I too am seriously considering a K-01 since my wife wants us to "share custody" of the K-5 for now.. this could be a good solution.. but I still think I'll hold off and see what gets announced at CP+ at least.
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #1911
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
maybe k-01 had a sister model on the drawing boards that is being held back by Ricoh?
possible in a year or two we'll see a k-02 weathersealed and evf model?

This is what I think. First entry level and then bring in a mid range model. I think $750 is already a tough sell to non-pentaxians. Adding an EVF and WR probably pushes the release price over 1000. And by not adding WR it doesn't completely cannibalize the launch of the K-5 replacement.

But there is a day coming when mirrorless takes over the market and K mount is replaced with a slim body. It's still going to be awhile though.

I'm kind on the fence about whether to buy this, the K-r replacement or the outgoing K-5. Same sensor (excellent) and benefits/negatives to each. It's a good time to be a Pentax buyer unless of course you're waiting for a FF camera. that might come but it won't be this year (an announcement at best).
02-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #1912
Banned

Photos: Albums

You're basically asking for a FF SLT camera (CD+FF). I'd buy that too, but I don't think it will happen any time soon. Sony will build it first - they would have announced it already if not for the floods. I'd be surprised if Pentax comes with something like this even in 2 years from now.

02-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #1913
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Just get a Sony SLT and their Zeiss 135/1.8. Pricey, but it's there now.
02-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #1914
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Just get a Sony SLT and their Zeiss 135/1.8. Pricey, but it's there now.
True, but i also ment that there is no sence for pentax to bring a 135mm/f2.8 lens. And I'm not yet ready to leave Pentax and certainly not in the Sony direction
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #1915
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That 135mm f/2.8 Limited would be much smaller than the 50-150 2.8, and probably a tad better (and probably wouldn't use SDM, or at least not the same implementation of it.)
02-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #1916
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marosari00 Quote
Here is a positive piece on the K zero one...

Pentax K-01
Excellent!! First shot I've seen of the full bottom. Tripod mount centered on lens diameter. I wish it had a portrait tripod mount like the 645D.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-03-2012 at 06:32 PM.
02-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #1917
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
That 135mm f/2.8 Limited would be much smaller than the 50-150 2.8, and probably a tad better (and probably wouldn't use SDM, or at least not the same implementation of it.)
Exactly what I'm thinking, make it on the same principals as the DA70, I'm guessing it wouldn't be nearly as big as the DA 100mm.. throw in the DC motor system from the 18-135 and I think it would be a great little tele lens.
02-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #1918
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Excellent!! First shot I've seen of the full bottom. Tripod mount centered on lens diameter. I wish it had a portrait tripod mount like the 645D.
Well that bottom shot also answered my question if there would ever be a grip for it for portrait shooting.. ahh well maybe the next model...
02-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #1919
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
because current mirrorless cameras with viewfinders have a rather boring design and look like DSLRS
"...boring design..." This is debatable, some like it others don't. But of course there are people who will buy by looks or what they perceive to be "good looks". Anyone who buys the K-01 only because it looks good or for the "look at me" syndrome, in my estimation, will most likely be one who would not miss a VF.

There is a whole generation of people who entered the digital photo revolution when they acquired their first camera and it was a Point & Shoot. Surprisingly most of the early P&Ss did have a VF. (But this is all forgotten now.) However the camera makers quickly realised these newcomers did not bother much with Viewfinders because they were "taken in" by the pretty, albeit low res, pictures they saw on those LCDs. This new section of the market did not then, and most likely now, know nothing or very little about photography. I bet there are some even today who don't fully understand viewfinders or how to work with one, they know nothing about lenses, don't know how to change one or why.

And now the die is cast. Camera makers must think we have all been re-progammed. A Viefinder is now considered at best an optional interface between ones eyes and a motive and at worse totally unnecessary. (What?) Certainly modern rear LCDs are high res now and therefore more suitable as a pseudo Viewfinder but it will never replace the real thing.

And what's more, a cam with a reasonably functional VF does not have to look like a DSLR. If it is only just a rudimentary VF that can be used for the purpose of framing a shot in bright sunlight it certainly does not have to be one that makes a cam look ugly. May I remind people that when the first Point & Shoot's came onto the market almost all of them had a VF. Look up the history files. I still have two, the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P7 and the Olympus SP-350. And don't try to convince me the modern cams are so cramped full of gear there is no room for one. Because of less advances in miniaturization then, the old or first P&Ss were as cramped as the new ones are now.

I think to put a cam on the market sans Viewfinder can only be a cost saving exercise.

I would love to buy the K-01, I really would, but without a Viewfinder - NO DEAL

Greetings
02-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #1920
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Exactly what I'm thinking, make it on the same principals as the DA70, I'm guessing it wouldn't be nearly as big as the DA 100mm.. throw in the DC motor system from the 18-135 and I think it would be a great little tele lens.
For get the DC, your first idee is better, a 135mm limited lens would be awesome =]