Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #1936
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Anyone know what drive modes the K-01 has? Is it like the K-x drive modes, or like the K-5? Reason I ask is the K-x has no cable release and no 2s delay+bracket mode which is a huge PITA. The K-5 has the 2sec+bracket mode which negates for me the need for a cable release.

Anyone know?

02-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #1937
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: walking in the air
Posts: 227
I will wait for the next Pentax mirroless.
02-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #1938
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,557
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Anyone know what drive modes the K-01 has? Is it like the K-x drive modes, or like the K-5? Reason I ask is the K-x has no cable release and no 2s delay+bracket mode which is a huge PITA. The K-5 has the 2sec+bracket mode which negates for me the need for a cable release.

Anyone know?
There is no cable release. You can use F remote from Pentax.
02-06-2012, 03:44 AM   #1939
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Anyone know what drive modes the K-01 has? Is it like the K-x drive modes, or like the K-5? Reason I ask is the K-x has no cable release and no 2s delay+bracket mode which is a huge PITA. The K-5 has the 2sec+bracket mode which negates for me the need for a cable release.

Anyone know?
The Specification sheet listed here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173897-pentax-k-01-camera.html#post1806817 indicates that there is a 12 and 2 sec delay and 3 bracketed images are possible. Unfortunately, there is only IR remote for bulb operation which is a PIA for bulb use or for remote shutter use. Someone mentioned that one can use PKTether to actuate the shutter via the usb 2 port

02-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #1940
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,780
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The Specification sheet listed here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173897-pentax-k-01-camera.html#post1806817 indicates that there is a 12 and 2 sec delay and 3 bracketed images are possible. Unfortunately, there is only IR remote for bulb operation which is a PIA for bulb use or for remote shutter use. Someone mentioned that one can use PKTether to actuate the shutter via the usb 2 port
You do realize that you can set the IR control of Bulb mode for 1 press shutter open with a 2nd press to close the shutter in the menu?
Or are you using it for some other purpose?
02-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #1941
ogl
Banned




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
I'd like to see MANUAL for K-01. But I think - need to wait till March, 15...
02-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #1942
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
You do realize that you can set the IR control of Bulb mode for 1 press shutter open with a 2nd press to close the shutter in the menu?
I really miss this setting in my K-10D - was it a K-7 first?
02-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #1943
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
You do realize that you can set the IR control of Bulb mode for 1 press shutter open with a 2nd press to close the shutter in the menu?
Or are you using it for some other purpose?
Thank you! yes, i had heard that. Still not very optimum because one has to reach around to the front to reach the infrared sensor for the remote. (unless the body has a IR sensor to the rear, which i haven't seen yet)

Its still tempting to buy this camera if the price falls to $600 or therabouts. wonderful lowlight capability.

02-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #1944
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,557
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Thank you! yes, i had heard that. Still not very optimum because one has to reach around to the front to reach the infrared sensor for the remote. (unless the body has a IR sensor to the rear, which i haven't seen yet)

Its still tempting to buy this camera if the price falls to $600 or therabouts. wonderful lowlight capability.
Good thing to mention. K-5 has, but no idea if K-01 has. Maybe not because K-r/K-x neither have.
02-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #1945
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
If you're shooting your kid acting in a production in the school hall in low light, would you prefer FF or M4/3?
M4/3, obviously, because I already have all I need for this scenario. My E-PL2 is my favorite camera for low light shooting these days.

BTW, why exactly do you think that FF sensors are better than MF ones in low light? If your logic would be true, why waste money on anything less than a MF sensor?
02-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #1946
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Taiwan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,073
What exactly is your argument in favor of M43? You already own it? It's good enough for most people? It's compact?

maybe I'm missing something at DxOmark because I don't obsess over these statistics but the M43 EPL3 isn't close to the APSC sized sensor K-5 or NEX5. DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side The EPL3 scores similar to my K200D which was released 4 yrs ago as far as I can tell. I've already said that the M43's platform is very good and it could be perfect depending on your needs. Ideally I get a high end all the bells and whistles K-5 or replacement and a M43 or similar as a compact (with two primes) for travel when size is really important (like long distance hiking or in bike panniers). But right now I'm concentrating on one system and that's Pentax APSC.

I'm getting something this summer but I haven't really decided which is perfect. My biggest concern regarding the K-01 at this point is battery life and lack of a AA grip (AFAIK). It's not unusual to go a week or more when traveling w/o a good recharging source and not being able to take photos would suck. the lack of an EVF and WR are also factors which could push me to getting the outgoing K-5 model.
02-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #1947
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
What exactly is your argument in favor of M43?
My first argument was the Nokton 25/0.95 which allows me to shoot at ISO 200 and not worry about sensor size.

Cosina seems to be making my wishes come true since they just announced a 17/0.95 lens.

One reason was enough for me to get the E-PL2. Now I got two to love this system. Three if you count the OM-D body. Good enough for me. YMMV, of course.
02-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #1948
ogl
Banned




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
Ben Kanarek will buy K-01.
K-01: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #1949
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Cosina seems to be making my wishes come true since they just announced a 17/0.95 lens.
The OM-D with that lens will weigh very close to 1 kg, it's not very light-weight anymore...
02-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #1950
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,352
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote

BTW, why exactly do you think that FF sensors are better than MF ones in low light? If your logic would be true, why waste money on anything less than a MF sensor?
MF sensors are behind on the technology curve compared to FF sensors.

Besides, FF is the sweet spot. MF gear is too bulky. A FF sensor can fit into a K-01, which can get smaller still (OLED instead of LCD as just one method).

You can play King Canute until the cows come home; a FF mirrorless will not be deal-breakingly bigger than a M4/3, and it will have far superior performance.

If you wish to believe FF mirrorless isn't coming, that's fine.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-01, k-01 mirrorless camera, mirrorless, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the new pentax mirrorless coming out tomorrow? justtakingpics Pentax News and Rumors 12 07-26-2011 06:22 AM
There may not be a 2nd mirrorless camera rustynail925 Pentax News and Rumors 5 06-29-2011 05:36 PM
Mirrorless Camera--Good or Bad? InStitches49 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 11-10-2010 10:15 PM
[RUMOR] Canon's First Mirrorless Camera! jct us101 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 12 09-14-2010 08:08 PM
New Pentax: K-5, K-r and Mirrorless models coming JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 32 08-08-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top