Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #1996
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I really don't care what it looks like. Is the LCD the same design (higher resolution of course) as the previous models? Because when I am outside on a sunny day it is nearly impossible for me to review an image on my K200D. This is likely the deal breaker for me. How am I supposed to compose/MF in that situation which is common while hiking?

The K-5 also has several nice to have features (WR, probably longer battery life, more controls) so that is probably the direction that I'm going. The K-r replacement is also a possibility especially if they bring it in as a mid level entry like the K200D. WR, AA batteries, K-5 sensor. Sold.
AA batteries?? are you for real?? Buy the grip and use 6 AA"s and strap an extra lead weight to it while your at it.. a single DLi-90 battery on a K-5 is good for around 500-600 shots for me, I've barely ever used both batteries (Body and grip) in an outing (time laps included). AA's may be supported via a seperate tray.. but I would hate to see it as a proprietary battery solution with the Lithium Ion cells are far superior. I wish the K-5's grip used the extra wasted space used by the AA tray for better things like maybe a FUNCTIONAL SD card slot instead of a lame SD card "holder"

02-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #1997
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
AA batteries?? are you for real?? Buy the grip and use 6 AA"s and strap an extra lead weight to it while your at it.. a single DLi-90 battery on a K-5 is good for around 500-600 shots for me
My K-5 can 900-1000 shots without flash. K-01 (under specs) - 540 shots.
02-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #1998

My trusty Ds can easily go 1000 shots without flash on "lowly" AAs and it uses obsolete half decade old power hogging circuitry.
02-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #1999
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My K-5 can 900-1000 shots without flash. K-01 (under specs) - 540 shots.
It will do less because it's using livewiew only

02-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #2000
Veteran Member

AA batteries?? are you for real?? Buy the grip and use 6 AA"s and strap an extra lead weight to it while your at it.. a single DLi-90 battery on a K-5 is good for around 500-600 shots for me, I've barely ever used both batteries (Body and grip) in an outing (time laps included). AA's may be supported via a seperate tray.. but I would hate to see it as a proprietary battery solution with the Lithium Ion cells are far superior. I wish the K-5's grip used the extra wasted space used by the AA tray for better things like maybe a FUNCTIONAL SD card slot instead of a lame SD card "holder"
the AA battery option is one a lot of people like. Personally i've never used the AA tray for my grip since 2 batteries have never been inadequate even on days i'm shooting from noon to 3 am with some flash and movie use thrown in

I mostly here it from [people traveling to spots where charging won't be convenient (or possible) but aa's are usually pretty common (reality for me is the cost of a pile of AA's to shot a lot just says to me buy a few cheap ebay dli90s and charge em all before leaving (really good lithium AAs cost a bomb, if i needed to take 24 on a trip i could buy 6 ebay batteries )
02-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #2001
Veteran Member

Hiking for several months in Tibet/Nepal? Bicycling/camping across parts of Japan? Other crazy adventures? I would prefer a lot of one common battery with multiple uses than several proprietary batteries, several different chargers, a grip and AA's for other things on the trip. I would also like to not be hiking/sightseeing with a small prime and a grip. However I fully expect to buy a K-5 with grip since it's doubtful that I'll get everything I want in one camera.
02-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #2002
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
My trusty Ds can easily go 1000 shots without flash on "lowly" AAs and it uses obsolete half decade old power hogging circuitry.
with very good AA - Lithium Energeizer or Sanyo Eneloop. till 1000. with another batteries - not above 400-500.
with AF. with manual lenses - more.

02-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #2003
ogl
Banned

PAY ATTENTION - HOW DEEP MOUNT HOLE....
I think the idea of K-01 is new line of super small lenses with K-mount. Not to make the smallest body, but smallest lenses...
02-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #2004
Banned

Photos: Albums
Not to make the smallest body, but smallest lenses...
The lenses are not small - they just look small when mounted. Their bulk is hidden by the body bulk.
02-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #2005
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The lenses are not small - they just look small when mounted. Their bulk is hidden by the body bulk.
is it joke?

by the way, DA40 XS is the smallest lens in the world.
02-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #2006
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-01 review - YouTube

I think the idea of K-01 is new line of super small lenses with K-mount. Not to make the smallest body, but smallest lenses...
Nails my contention from Day 1 (overwhelmed by the shouting) that the size of the camera only matters when a lens is mounted. How will the K-01 conmpare to others in its IQ class when the both have equivalent IQ lenses mounted?

Shirt pocket is fine for the camera body, but where do you carry the lens?
02-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #2007
Veteran Member

is it joke?

by the way, DA40 XS is the smallest lens in the world.
this month
02-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #2008
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nails my contention from Day 1 (overwhelmed by the shouting) that the size of the camera only matters when a lens is mounted. How will the K-01 conmpare to others in its IQ class when the both have equivalent IQ lenses mounted?

Shirt pocket is fine for the camera body, but where do you carry the lens?
inside cigarette pack in second pocket
02-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #2009
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-01 review - YouTube

Wow, and all you have to do is buy all new lenses to take advantage of it... Thus negating mount compatibility.

The idea only works if you're forced to re-buy focal lengths, in lens that are small system only, since the intrusion will make them a no go on anything with a mirror. So in exchange for avoiding an adapter (yay!), you've welded an extension tube on to the body (um, I guess yay?), which pretty much raises the cost of entry for anyone contemplating a switch from another brand (boo!).

Awesome marketshare building.

People can keep coming up with magical ways that this makes sense, but it really doesn't. A NEX7 with their 16mm pancake mounted is darn near the depth of a K-01 body; good luck making a lens so deep in makes the host body thinner. At any given focal length you've given up a couple cm before you've even started, and now you have to jump through hoops tucking parts of the lens inside the body just to hold ground, let alone trying to have a smaller overall package.
02-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #2010
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

inside cigarette pack in second pocket
I can just see the later Marketplace FS Thread: Small amount of internal tobacco shavings and filter lint. Does not affect image quality.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-10-2012 at 03:13 PM.