Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #2041
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I don't have an ME to compare to, just an old SF 500..

02-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #2042
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Wait, I thought the k-01 was digital! What type of film can you put in? Because I have a refrigerator full of 35mm Velvia that the wife keeps spilling milk on.
Sorry, i meant for filming... typical swedish of me to say film, wich in my head means "to record a movie"
02-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #2043
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Sorry, i meant for filming... typical swedish of me to say film, wich in my head means "to record a movie"
Anytime anyone on this board starts making fun of your English, just ask them how many languages they speak fluently.

02-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #2044
Pentaxian

America: the home of the monolingual.

That sounds snarky but I fill both conditions - unless you give credit for being able to speak American English and having a decent understanding of British English.

We must also avoid discussion of regional dialects. I don't speak or understand Geordie or Cockney or Scouse or Brummie or Tyke, alas. I should look into Rosetta Stone one day ....

02-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #2045
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
America: the home of the monolingual.

That sounds snarky but I fill both conditions - unless you give credit for being able to speak American English and having a decent understanding of British English.

We must also avoid discussion of regional dialects. I don't speak or understand Geordie or Cockney or Scouse or Brummie or Tyke, alas. I should look into Rosetta Stone one day ....
Don't paint with such a wide brush. There's Southern, Boston, Brooklyn, Mid-Western, Jersey, etc...

Frankly, I'm a bit tired of others claiming lingual superiority. The Dutch learn 4 languages in school because their surrounded by other languages. Likewise with other countries in Europe; proximity makes multilingualism a necessity. To turn it and make claims of lingual superiority is, to put it mildly, warm, fresh poo.
02-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #2046
Site Supporter

I speak Jersey, but I sure wish I didn't.
02-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #2047
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I speak Jersey, but I sure wish I didn't.
You got a problem wid dat?
02-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #2048
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
To turn it and make claims of lingual superiority is, ...
Europeans never do this. They apologize for not speaking English better, that is. It is Americans apologizing for not speaking more languages. And then there are British ...

I only have a single complaint about the lingual capabilities of Americans: If they are not understood, it doesn't help to repeat the same sentence, in the same regional dialect, only louder ...

02-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #2049
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Europeans never do this. They apologize for not speaking English better, that is. It is Americans apologizing for not speaking more languages. And then there are British ...

I only have a single complaint about the lingual capabilities of Americans: If they are not understood, it doesn't help to repeat the same sentence, in the same regional dialect, only louder ...
You may have a point. I said, YOU MAY HAVE A POINT!

I wasn't trying to single out Europeans. Sorry if you misunderstood. But I have heard the claim, I forget from whom. At the end of the day, each country has it share of dopes. There's enough to go around.
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #2050

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Since everyone is off-topic now, I must say I was amazed by the English knowledge of Swedish people in general. Once when I visited a small city in eastern Sweden, I met a beggar asking for money in the politest way possible. At first she spoke in Swedish, then switched to English when she found the other side was an ignorant foreigner: 'would you be so kind as to help me with something between 5 and 10 krona?'
02-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #2051
Loyal Site Supporter

LMAO

My favourite tourist horror stories all come from people like that

I was in a chateau in the Loire and this women walks up and starts rubbing her fingers over a painting. Horrified my wife says what the hell are you doing you aren't supposed to touch the paintings there is the sign ("defense de toucher") the replay was a huffed it's not in American, my wife replied well you aren't in America are you? - never mind that i don't think I ever been anywhere in America or elsewhere that encourages the touching of paintings (old or not)

I know you get tourists like this from all countries but somehow the Americans have mastered the art, the rest of us are pikers by comparison sometimes
02-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #2052
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dustette Quote
Since everyone is off-topic now, I must say I was amazed by the English knowledge of Swedish people in general. Once when I visited a small city in eastern Sweden, I met a beggar asking for money in the politest way possible. At first she spoke in Swedish, then switched to English when she found the other side was an ignorant foreigner: 'would you be so kind as to help me with something between 5 and 10 krona?'
When I first arrived in Germany, people would initiate a conversation with me in English.

I probably look more German than most Germans. Have below average weight, (or at least I did then, when I was racing bicycles!) etc., etc. I asked a German friend about that and he said that when he came to America there was someone who opened a conversation with him in German. He said there's something about the way you walk, etc., that people can pick up on.

I looked for it and I could see it. At the end of my stay there, people would open a conversation in German. Most times my german was good enough to understand them but I would still respond in English, because my German wasn't/isn't good enough for them to understand me!

DO YOU UNDERSTAND? I mean, VERSTEHEN SIE?
02-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #2053
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
You got a problem wid dat?
I believe that should be "Yous gota problem wid dat?"
02-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #2054
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I believe that should be "Yous gota problem wid dat?"
That's South Jersey. DUH!

02-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #2055
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dustette Quote
Since everyone is off-topic now, I must say I was amazed by the English knowledge of Swedish people in general.
Seeing those 2 statements made me think of a former co-worker. We had conference call with a customer from Sweden. The customer had an accent but spoke fluent English and was easily understood. My co-worker didn't know where the customer lived.

30 minutes into the call, when my co-worker realized the customer was from Sweden, co-worker started to speak slower, louder, and shouted "YOU SPEAK ENGLISH VERY WELL!" into the phone. Captain Obvious, the customer has been keeping up with your English discussion for 30 minutes ...