Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Anyone else think that new DA40 could be WR?
That would be fantastic! I would sell my DA40ltd to get a DA40WR.

01-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would be cool, but XS... I'm guessing Xtra Silent (motor) or Xtra Small (a new series of lenses that only work with mirrorless bodies - using more of the space behind the mount).
01-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #243

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That would be cool, but XS... I'm guessing Xtra Silent (motor) or Xtra Small (a new series of lenses that only work with mirrorless bodies - using more of the space behind the mount).

As I guessed some hundred pages ago, it might have a lens shutter, just like the standard lens for the Q. Which would be great for flash use...
01-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #244

Photos: Albums
"Legacy costs" is just a weasel word. So is trying to say Kodak is a "victim." Retired Kodak workers generated the company's earnings when they were active, and a portion of their salaries set was aside for their retirement, as pensions and benefits. Trying to wriggle out of pension obligations is unfortunately becoming the norm these days.

Many have pointed out the major mismanagement of the company, not being willing to change with the times. From what I have read on including from former Kodak employees, Kodak was actively trying to preserve its existing markets, rather than trying to develop and change with the times. Apparently in the medical imaging division, sold off a while ago for a song, they would not introduce a dry process for x-ray imaging to preserve their sales of developing chemicals, even though they had the technology and others had already begun to sell similar technology.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Kodak is a victim of post-retirement costs related to 53,000 legacy employees (the filing will offload these costs onto a Federal Agency) as well as capital trapped in Plant, Equipment, Patents and Goodwill that rapidly lost their cash-flow supports (film, paper and chemicals). Had Kodak been able to sell the legacy businesses they might well have, but who would have bought them, and at what price? The competition didn't need to buy Kodak - they could just wait for it to collapse.

And now it has. That is all. Happens all the time.

01-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #245
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Xtra Speed
01-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #246
Veteran Member

xtra soft?
xtra sharp?
xtra slow?
01-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
xtra soft?
xtra sharp?
xtra slow?
Extra small?
01-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #248
Pentaxian

My guess is that the things changed is to make DA40 cheaper to produce, so it will probably be all plastic and might have a new design fit the look of the K-01 camera.

I think the whole concept behind this mirrorless camera is to take what Pentax already have and remove all thing not needed for minimizing production cost and size. This will also minimize R&D cost.

01-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #249
Pentaxian

xtra special
01-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #250
Veteran Member

Has any pics of design been released/leaked yet?
01-20-2012, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
My guess is that the things changed is to make DA40 cheaper to produce, so it will probably be all plastic and might have a new design fit the look of the K-01 camera.
I wish they'd designed the camera to fit the look of the DA40 ltd instead!

I think there might be something special about the XS lenses, such as popping *into* the mount so they can be designed with a reduced flange distance. There could be a gasket within the mount so that all the lenses were effectively WR.

The mount could be designed to take over the functions of the outside of a lens barrel, with a MF focus ring, aperture ring etc. That would enable the camera to look like an MX with a standard lens attached.

Pure pie in the sky thinking probably.
01-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #252
Site Supporter

Since this is (in my mind) a kr replacement, I would bet on SR being present, but no weather sealing. I would guess as well that there will be a motor in the body to run legacy lenses (hence part of the reason for the slightly more generous size compared to other mirrorless options out there.

As to the 40mm lens, I would guess that it has a silent, in lens motor that is different from the existing SDM and DC motors that Pentax already uses.
01-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
+1

I'm still upset by the thought of who they have chosen to design the thing.
01-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
They already did that with K7/K5.
01-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #255
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Extra small?
da40 is already very small