Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #391

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
We don't have confirmation of what XS means. The discussion of different registry distances is just speculation.

I don't think you can have in-body SR with an adapter. The main thing about this camera that interests me is that it allows full functionality with K-mount lenses. That's where it beats all other MILC designs hands down.
Speculation yes but I don't get why people are excited about it. Such a design is a compromise in almost every way. As far as functionality goes, I use MF or hyperfocal techniques and A mode all the time anyway and the only thing I'd want is smaller lenses at the wide end.

01-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #392
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll stick with basic black, you can never go wrong that way.

01-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #393
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'll stick with basic black, you can never go wrong that way.

he is known for black and yellow sometimes it works others.....meh
01-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Ok lets say it again. When Pentax was bought by hoya they were struggling but had better market share than now (almost double) Hoya bought the company for the medical side with no interest in the camera so the shut down big chunks and raised prices to raise profitability and make the division attractive for sale. Initially this really hurt share, but it has been on the rebound (in no small part due to all the funny coloured cameras BTW)
Ricoh looking for a way to diversify their business as their big core business is an industry that is headed for decline, and as a manufacturer of cameras for a long time including Pentax k mount and m42 cameras saw value as a means of growing their global presence without the expense of starting a DSLR line from scratch bought the company. Unlike Hoya Ricoh wants to invest in and grow this business (otherwise they may as well have had a cash bonfire) Ricoh as a company is about 5 times hoyas size and 4 times nikons size and Canons biggest competitor. What makes you think Pentax no longer can afford to compete.
All this BS about Poor Pentax died last October. Pentax is not Poor they are in need of investment. and I think ricoh realised that and will pursue things aggressively. the earliest we can expect to see signifigant Ricoh impact is photokina in September (11 months post purchase) but i think there has liely been ricoh input into the K01 despite it's core being a hoya design and thaqt is why we waied so long to see it (remember this has been rumoured to have come out last fall when the q was coming to launch. Right around the time ricoh's intent to purchase was announced.

c'mon people are you really that pessimistic. If yoyu are why are you still using Pentax why haven't you moved on to m43 or canikon who apparently can do know wrong (until you go to one of their forums of course )
Hear, hear! Well said. People need to stop and realize that Ricoh already has experience beating Canon at their own game. Wow. AND they have more capital reserves and shear resources than Nikon. I have no idea what they are going to do other than dig in and use Pentax to compete in their targeted market. I think they can make a very good showing, it all depends on what they decide they want to achieve. They bought a great company - excellent press on its most recent releases, outstanding lenses with solid reputations even among those who own competing brand cameras, several technologies (e.g., SMC and others) that are among the best in the industry, and a host of new patents. The only problem that I can see is that Pentax has languished with too little capital and incredibly poor (not just absent but actually bad) marketing (particularly in the US). Ricoh has the cash and they have done a fair job in the past of marketing their products effectively - just look at the shear excitement and ...dare I say frenzy...generated by this "leak".

I'm very interested in seeing what the shows in Feb and Sept bring.

01-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #395
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but this rumour has it that the upcoming APS-C mirrorless will use K-mount, so it's just three mounts to support. Having said that, some lenses might work better on mirrorless than on traditional DSLRs, and vice versa. But these are just different optimisations.
Yeah I probably didn't quite say it quite well, I was just typing what was in my head at the time. The message I was trying to pass on was that this camera MUST be compatible with one of the existing 3 systems that pentax has because they don't have enough resources/market share to support a fourth one, so it will most likely be compatible with k-mount since the Q mount is too tiny.

Also I don't think it will have a leaf shutter (thank you everyone for clarifying what it means). Making it a leaf shutter will mean that existing lenses won't work with it? So even though it may be the same mount, it will be a completely different system since I assume existing k-mount lenses won't be compatible with them since they won't have shutters.
01-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #396
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Adam, thank you very much.

I would have thought moderator intervention wouldn't be required here. I thought people would be more reasonably educated. How naive I am
Not illegal. I assure you.

I can also assure you removing the tags from your pillows and mattress is also not illegal. You (We) are not the intended audience of the warning. The warning is for those who intend to use the information to solicit, defraud others, etc... The whois information you provide in the registration of the domain is so you can be contacted for legitimate reasons. The individual can always provide a non personal e-mail, etc... and can even request the registrar to keep the information hidden if the information is intended to be private. No harm was intended by anyone.

Please return the favor of editing / removing the misinformed or condescending portions of your posts, these members have actually been quite helpful to others on this forum as well and don't deserve the disrespect.
01-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #397
Forum Member

BTW - If this is true, I think its a really smart move by Ricoh/Pentax. Re-use some previous high-end and in stock parts (which they should be getting better prices for by now) and trickle it down to new in demand / higher volume product lines. Having a fuller APS-C "K" line makes more sense to me than maintaining seperate fragmented (ig the lower end Q) lines. If this thing is as rugged and weatherized as my beloved K-5/7s I won't so be tempted by the NEX-7.
01-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #398
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
A quick mockup of a thinner EVIL, still with SR and fully compatible K-mount. The SR and sensor moved up, the mirror permanently locked down. Pentaprism removed.

Maybe even a "new" SR, move the mirror ever so little.

(original K5 picture "borrowed" from Falk Lumo)
for this design, you need an extraordinarily high quality mirror. otherwise, the image quality will be poor

01-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #399
Forum Member

Film Simulation

If fuji has come with their film simulation, I think it will be great if the upcoming pentax mirrorless camera has kodak film simulation like kodachrome, elitchrome, portra, tmax etc.
01-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #400

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
Not illegal. I assure you.

I can also assure you removing the tags from your pillows and mattress is also not illegal. You (We) are not the intended audience of the warning. The warning is for those who intend to use the information to solicit, defraud others, etc... The whois information you provide in the registration of the domain is so you can be contacted for legitimate reasons. The individual can always provide a non personal e-mail, etc... and can even request the registrar to keep the information hidden if the information is intended to be private. No harm was intended by anyone.

Please return the favor of editing / removing the misinformed or condescending portions of your posts, these members have actually been quite helpful to others on this forum as well and don't deserve the disrespect.
Quite agree. Most people use their business phone and address details for WHOIS registration anyway. I think the listings are provided so the public can discover who owns a site and make it just a little more difficult for people to do the wrong thing. In this case it might have been better to just send people to a link, but even so, I saw no malicious intent. If you Google "who own a website" or "who runs a website" the WHOIS link is in first and second place respectively.
01-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #401
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't think you can have in-body SR with an adapter.
Of course you can. My K-5 does SR with any lens (within the length limits of the SR system). And with an adapter that actually knows anything about the lens you don't even have to tell the camera the length of the lens. (And a mechanically new mount doesn't mean a new protocol, so the adapter wouldn't even need electronics.)
01-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #402
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote
If fuji has come with their film simulation, I think it will be great if the upcoming pentax mirrorless camera has kodak film simulation like kodachrome, elitchrome, portra, tmax etc.
Wouldn't it be meta if Ricoh bought Kodak film division out of bankruptcy?
01-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #403
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wouldn't it be meta if Ricoh bought Kodak film division out of bankruptcy?
and released another Limited edition Lx in Honour of the 60th anniversary of Pentax SLR bundled with a brick of Tri-X
01-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Even if it's not full frame I'm actually looking forward to it, and the DA 40mm SX could possible be a DA-L (ie DA 35mm) type of lens? Plastic (cheaper) versions of the limiteds with the same optical formulas? Would be awesome as I absolutely love the 35mm.
Hopefully it won't also loose c. half a stop in the process. They might be able to get away with a F3.2 as the kit lens, but at F2.8 it'd be a winner.
01-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Yeah I probably didn't quite say it quite well, I was just typing what was in my head at the time. The message I was trying to pass on was that this camera MUST be compatible with one of the existing 3 systems that pentax has because they don't have enough resources/market share to support a fourth one, so it will most likely be compatible with k-mount since the Q mount is too tiny.

Also I don't think it will have a leaf shutter (thank you everyone for clarifying what it means). Making it a leaf shutter will mean that existing lenses won't work with it? So even though it may be the same mount, it will be a completely different system since I assume existing k-mount lenses won't be compatible with them since they won't have shutters.
I think clearly the mirrorless are the wave of the future (regardless of whether I like them or not) because they will wring a lot of cost
out of the product. the leaked spec's look like a winner to me. ---- Nikon is out with one with a really small sensor, canon just did one
with a decent sized sensor---but without interhangable lenses.

Now if Pentax hits the market with an aps-c sensor size, and the K mount, that does everything a K5 does but is ultimately cheaper, I see
a marketing winner. I wouldn't mind trading the in camera optical view finders for a wi-fi remote viewfinder / control so I can set up the camera
and operate it from some distance away from my tablet computer. Add a remote control tripod, and it adds a whole new dimension
to wild life photography. No need to hide in a blind. Drink tall cool ones a non-threatning distance away and monitor your Ipad......