Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #421
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Popty Ping Quote
One reason I was very keen on the K-r was it used AA batteries as well. I realise there may not be an answer to this, but any ideas whether this new camera will have this option. I occasionally do trips where charging batteries is difficult, so flexibility is a big attraction to me.
I had a similar concern when I switched from a K200D (which used AA's) to a K7 (which doesn't). I needn't have worried. I get through two of the K7 batteries in a week if I shoot very heavily, and non-OEM batteries are available very cheaply. So if I am going away for a fortnight, I will take three fully charged batteries. For longer trips I would just buy more. This is more satisfactory than buying expensive, usually poorly performing (non lithium) AA's out in the field. If you have access to a car while you're away, you also have the option of a car charger.

The AA battery availability thing, in retrospect, was only ever helpful in an emergency, as regular duracells don't give you many shots... the rest of the time I was tied to rechargeables which were fiddlier than the purpose made LiOn batteries....

01-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #422
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Popty Ping Quote
Hi all

I hope it's ok to ask a rather basic question in what's quite a technical discussion about this new camera (I'm a complete beginner with dSLRs).

I was going to buy a K-r a while back (my first dSLR), but held off cos of finances and the FF issue-think I got too immersed in reading forums with that!

Anyway, I've heard that this new model might be a replacement for the K-r. One reason I was very keen on the K-r was it used AA batteries as well. I realise there may not be an answer to this, but any ideas whether this new camera will have this option. I occasionally do trips where charging batteries is difficult, so flexibility is a big attraction to me.

Any thoughts, info, advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Si
a mirrorless won't have to flop a mirror around, but will have to make the electronic image display so not sure what this does to battery
consumption. I would surmise that the use of the built in flash would remain the battery usage driver. I always acquire 2 after market batteries when I get a camera,--- one lives in the charger, and one in the camera bag, and they get rotated. If one is taking lots of flash shots
I would suggest using an external flash---and put your AA batteries in there. Some camera models also have grips available that hold additional batteries. With low cost aftermarket rechargables available, I just think that concern over batteries is the wrong reason. for selecting a caamera.
01-21-2012, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #423
Banned

top secret model that you’ve never seen anything like it

QuoteQuote:
Although Pentax didn’t announce anything at CES, they showed me a top secret model that’s going to be unveiled within the coming weeks. All I can say is that you’ve never seen anything like it from a design standpoint. Pentax will also release a few more point-and-shoots, but those are top secret at the moment as well. I really like Pentax. I’ve never had any major issues with their cameras and image quality is consistent across the board. For the mid-level DSLR shooter, you can’t go wrong with a Pentax. I’m predicting good things from from this company and am looking forward to reviewing the new models as they arrive from Japan.
Mike's CES 2012 Camera Wrap-Up and Predictions | TechnoBuffalo
01-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #424
Veteran Member

Pentax... Back in the game!

01-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #425
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although Pentax didn’t announce anything at CES, they showed me a top secret model that’s going to be unveiled within the coming weeks.
All I can say is that you’ve never seen anything like it from a design standpoint. Pentax will also release a few more point-and-shoots, but those are top secret at the moment as well. I really like Pentax. I’ve never had any major issues with their cameras and image quality is consistent across the board. For the mid-level DSLR shooter, you can’t go wrong with a Pentax. I’m predicting good things from from this company and am looking forward to reviewing the new models as they arrive from Japan.
01-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
you’ve never seen anything like it from a design standpoint
Name:  b1bc806295472c85d9d6707bdbbd993e.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  18.3 KB
Marc Newson certainly has form as an interesting designer. Who knows what to expect, especially if he was given a very loose brief by Pentax.
01-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #427
ogl
Banned

As I think - XS are new lenses with new type of motor-drive - only for Pentax mirrorless system.

01-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Attachment 115051
Marc Newson certainly has form as an interesting designer. Who knows what to expect, especially if he was given a very loose brief by Pentax.
I take it that this is a thumb rest?
01-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #429
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Attachment 115051
Going by the past designs of Marc Newson, ergonomics will be least important from now on. It has to be pretty.

What is that thing in your picture anyway? I hope it's not supposed to be a chair. Maybe for people that are missing certain limbs?

Last edited by Clavius; 01-21-2012 at 08:49 AM.
01-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #430

Did you remember.....the MXD?

Why not?
01-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #431
ogl
Banned

missed!

we saw such design many times many years ago...
01-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #432
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
All I can say is that you’ve never seen anything like it from a design standpoint.
Let's combine what we believe to know

- design like never seen before, by Marc Newson.
- appearance more like heavy duty Optio; with black and white, yellow leather option.
- outer dimensions/weight like K-x with prism, grip, bottom plate shaved off.
- a DA 40 XS which might just be a design variant of the DA 40.
- EVF, flash, SR, battery to support the K-5 sensor's LV.

By rugged Optio, I guess a WG-1 is meant (cf. below)

[source: pentaximaging.com ]

Marc seems to have a certain preference for organic bulging shapes with pronounced bi-color edges, like

[source: paulhughes.co.uk ]

It is described in Wikipedia as "a style which uses smooth flowing lines, translucency, transparency and tends to have an absence of sharp edges"

And noticing that the K01 is bicolor and the WG-1 is bulging and a K01 would be deeper allowing for bulges in the 3rd dimension, I can see space for a new design icon. Or another failed attempt to make a product nice by making it unusable Interesting times

P.S.
I made a sketch of how I think it may look like. But I keep it for me personally to compare with when first images emerge

Last edited by falconeye; 01-21-2012 at 10:25 AM.
01-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #433
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What is that thing in your picture anyway?
It is his famous Lockheed Lounge, which he made when he first graduated design school. (It recently auctioned for something like $750,000). He actually has a lot of industrial/product design experience, including in the aviation industry. So he isn't a total newbie when it comes to ergonomics and usability. Hopefully whatever he is doing for Pentax will work out well.
01-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #434
ogl
Banned

I feel I will buy Pentax mirrorless camera...
01-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #435

i might think about buying it, when it has a full compatibility with K-Mount and the " Da40 XS" is fully compatible to K5.

No reason for me to stickwith with two"incomplete" Mounts. I would rather try another Mount (Sony, Nikon, Canon) for thinks i dont find with Pentax.