Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #436
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It is his famous Lockheed Lounge, which he made when he first graduated design school. (It recently auctioned for something like $750,000). He actually has a lot of industrial/product design experience, including in the aviation industry. So he isn't a total newbie when it comes to ergonomics and usability. Hopefully whatever he is doing for Pentax will work out well.
Maybe not a newbie but most of his stuff, to me - personally, shows that far too many people in decision making roles with corporations have more authority/money than taste/brains. Most of his stuff is far LESS functional because of him, again IMHO.

01-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
i might think about buying it, when it has a full compatibility with K-Mount and the " Da40 XS" is fully compatible to K5.
Pure speculation ... but if the DA40XS doesn't fit both K01 and K-5, I am pretty sure the DA40 Ltd. will.
01-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #438
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
far LESS functional because of him, again IMHO.
Based on what might I ask? The look of it? Or have you actually sat on the thing?
01-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #439
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Pure speculation ... but if the DA40XS doesn't fit both K01 and K-5, I am pretty sure the DA40 Ltd. will.
My guess would be that the DA40XS has a AF motor built into the lens and is plastic where as the DA40 Ltd is all metal and screw drive AF.

01-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #440

Sure it is "pure speculation" and i dont think this either, but i my opinion it wouldn't make any sense to develope a Mount which is K-Mount compatible in only some ways.

I dont think that you can fit an AF-Motor inside the 40ltd without a complete redesign.
01-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #441
Pentaxian

I'd like to see is a waist level viewfinder -- they used to be common. The worst useability aspect of DSLRs and Point and Shoots right now is the goofy "at arms length" shooting style. You need to brace the thing against your body somehow if you want a decent picture.
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #442
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
far too many people in decision making roles with corporations have more authority/money than taste/brains.
Ok, there are some exhibitions like the BioMorph-Organic design exhibition where Luigi Colani and Marc Newson are referred to in one sentence. And that's an issue because Colani is considered a terrible designer by many in Germany. To the point some call him ridiculous. So, that would be a bad thing.

OTOH, I've own experience of working with a top notch designer (Hartmut Esslinger who worked for Apple and others). And I can only say that I still admire the work he did at that time. He talked to the engineers and tried to really understand the function in order to apply a form follows function rationale, still creating a wonderful product which later made Hollywood wanting to use it in some movies.

So, a good industrial designer easily makes the difference between success and failure for a product.

And as we don't know yet the result, maybe let's stay on the positive side of things, please
01-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #443
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I'd like to see is a waist level viewfinder -- they used to be common. The worst useability aspect of DSLRs and Point and Shoots right now is the goofy "at arms length" shooting style. You need to brace the thing against your body somehow if you want a decent picture.
They could have a tilt screen like the olympus e-pl3...though I've heard of at least one user with cracking at the hinges on that camera. I do agree though if it is going to be primarily LCD viewing, some sort of way to get the camera down closer to your body is a good thing (at least having the option).

01-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #444
Pentaxian

Luigi Colani

Luigi Colani camera concept.
01-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #445
Pentaxian

Marc Newson interview with Charlie Rose
01-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote

Luigi Colani camera concept.
Uf, that looks like a bad dream of H.R. Giger materialized
Seriously guys, we shouldn't worry about Marc Newson - the guy was already brilliant designer when i was studying design at school. So if the rumour is true, then new Pentax could be a thing of beauty...
01-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #447
Veteran Member

I want an OVF I want an OVF.....
when the first EVF's came, ther were many firm believers in OVF vs. EVF.... Hello am I the only one left?
01-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #448
Pentaxian

01-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #449
Veteran Member

Ok, there are some exhibitions like the BioMorph-Organic design exhibition where Luigi Colani and Marc Newson are referred to in one sentence. And that's an issue because Colani is considered a terrible designer by many in Germany. To the point some call him ridiculous. So, that would be a bad thing.

OTOH, I've own experience of working with a top notch designer (Hartmut Esslinger who worked for Apple and others). And I can only say that I still admire the work he did at that time. He talked to the engineers and tried to really understand the function in order to apply a form follows function rationale, still creating a wonderful product which later made Hollywood wanting to use it in some movies.

So, a good industrial designer easily makes the difference between success and failure for a product.

And as we don't know yet the result, maybe let's stay on the positive side of things, please
I have absolutely no problem with designers that ALWAYS remember that function is the prime issue, not form. As long as their design ADDS to the product while NOT interfering with or detracting from its useability then that's terrific. Apple has managed that on many, although far from all, products. As for this designer, haven't seen anything of his that I think well of frankly so I'm a bit pessimistic about the design but know that if Pentax stays with a K-mount there will be a lot of positives from this new camera. On another note, in his interviews he comes across as a rather likeable chap.

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-21-2012 at 12:24 PM.
01-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
They could have a tilt screen like the olympus e-pl3...though I've heard of at least one user with cracking at the hinges on that camera. I do agree though if it is going to be primarily LCD viewing, some sort of way to get the camera down closer to your body is a good thing (at least having the option).
Hinged LCDs add a whole dimension of possible problems IMHO. Had one camera with one and wouldn't you know it - that was precisely the part that failed. I wouldn't mind a hot shoe screen that would sit on top and plug into the camera for such use. Of course it would be another piece to keep track of and have to think about bringing along with limited space.....