Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #436
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It is his famous Lockheed Lounge, which he made when he first graduated design school. (It recently auctioned for something like $750,000). He actually has a lot of industrial/product design experience, including in the aviation industry. So he isn't a total newbie when it comes to ergonomics and usability. Hopefully whatever he is doing for Pentax will work out well.
Maybe not a newbie but most of his stuff, to me - personally, shows that far too many people in decision making roles with corporations have more authority/money than taste/brains. Most of his stuff is far LESS functional because of him, again IMHO.

01-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #437
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
i might think about buying it, when it has a full compatibility with K-Mount and the " Da40 XS" is fully compatible to K5.
Pure speculation ... but if the DA40XS doesn't fit both K01 and K-5, I am pretty sure the DA40 Ltd. will.
01-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #438
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
far LESS functional because of him, again IMHO.
Based on what might I ask? The look of it? Or have you actually sat on the thing?
01-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #439
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,748
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Pure speculation ... but if the DA40XS doesn't fit both K01 and K-5, I am pretty sure the DA40 Ltd. will.
My guess would be that the DA40XS has a AF motor built into the lens and is plastic where as the DA40 Ltd is all metal and screw drive AF.

01-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #440
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Innsbruck
Posts: 283
Sure it is "pure speculation" and i dont think this either, but i my opinion it wouldn't make any sense to develope a Mount which is K-Mount compatible in only some ways.

I dont think that you can fit an AF-Motor inside the 40ltd without a complete redesign.
01-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #441
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
I'd like to see is a waist level viewfinder -- they used to be common. The worst useability aspect of DSLRs and Point and Shoots right now is the goofy "at arms length" shooting style. You need to brace the thing against your body somehow if you want a decent picture.
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #442
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
far too many people in decision making roles with corporations have more authority/money than taste/brains.
Ok, there are some exhibitions like the BioMorph-Organic design exhibition where Luigi Colani and Marc Newson are referred to in one sentence. And that's an issue because Colani is considered a terrible designer by many in Germany. To the point some call him ridiculous. So, that would be a bad thing.

OTOH, I've own experience of working with a top notch designer (Hartmut Esslinger who worked for Apple and others). And I can only say that I still admire the work he did at that time. He talked to the engineers and tried to really understand the function in order to apply a form follows function rationale, still creating a wonderful product which later made Hollywood wanting to use it in some movies.

So, a good industrial designer easily makes the difference between success and failure for a product.

And as we don't know yet the result, maybe let's stay on the positive side of things, please
01-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #443
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I'd like to see is a waist level viewfinder -- they used to be common. The worst useability aspect of DSLRs and Point and Shoots right now is the goofy "at arms length" shooting style. You need to brace the thing against your body somehow if you want a decent picture.
They could have a tilt screen like the olympus e-pl3...though I've heard of at least one user with cracking at the hinges on that camera. I do agree though if it is going to be primarily LCD viewing, some sort of way to get the camera down closer to your body is a good thing (at least having the option).

01-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #444
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Luigi Colani


Luigi Colani camera concept.
01-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #445
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
Marc Newson interview with Charlie Rose
01-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #446
Veteran Member
vrrattko's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 734
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote

Luigi Colani camera concept.
Uf, that looks like a bad dream of H.R. Giger materialized
Seriously guys, we shouldn't worry about Marc Newson - the guy was already brilliant designer when i was studying design at school. So if the rumour is true, then new Pentax could be a thing of beauty...
01-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #447
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
I want an OVF I want an OVF.....
when the first EVF's came, ther were many firm believers in OVF vs. EVF.... Hello am I the only one left?
01-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #448
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962




01-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #449
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, there are some exhibitions like the BioMorph-Organic design exhibition where Luigi Colani and Marc Newson are referred to in one sentence. And that's an issue because Colani is considered a terrible designer by many in Germany. To the point some call him ridiculous. So, that would be a bad thing.

OTOH, I've own experience of working with a top notch designer (Hartmut Esslinger who worked for Apple and others). And I can only say that I still admire the work he did at that time. He talked to the engineers and tried to really understand the function in order to apply a form follows function rationale, still creating a wonderful product which later made Hollywood wanting to use it in some movies.

So, a good industrial designer easily makes the difference between success and failure for a product.

And as we don't know yet the result, maybe let's stay on the positive side of things, please
I have absolutely no problem with designers that ALWAYS remember that function is the prime issue, not form. As long as their design ADDS to the product while NOT interfering with or detracting from its useability then that's terrific. Apple has managed that on many, although far from all, products. As for this designer, haven't seen anything of his that I think well of frankly so I'm a bit pessimistic about the design but know that if Pentax stays with a K-mount there will be a lot of positives from this new camera. On another note, in his interviews he comes across as a rather likeable chap.

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-21-2012 at 12:24 PM.
01-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #450
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
They could have a tilt screen like the olympus e-pl3...though I've heard of at least one user with cracking at the hinges on that camera. I do agree though if it is going to be primarily LCD viewing, some sort of way to get the camera down closer to your body is a good thing (at least having the option).
Hinged LCDs add a whole dimension of possible problems IMHO. Had one camera with one and wouldn't you know it - that was precisely the part that failed. I wouldn't mind a hot shoe screen that would sit on top and plug into the camera for such use. Of course it would be another piece to keep track of and have to think about bringing along with limited space.....
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-01, k-01 mirrorless camera, mirrorless, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the new pentax mirrorless coming out tomorrow? justtakingpics Pentax News and Rumors 12 07-26-2011 06:22 AM
There may not be a 2nd mirrorless camera rustynail925 Pentax News and Rumors 5 06-29-2011 05:36 PM
Mirrorless Camera--Good or Bad? InStitches49 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 11-10-2010 10:15 PM
[RUMOR] Canon's First Mirrorless Camera! jct us101 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 12 09-14-2010 08:08 PM
New Pentax: K-5, K-r and Mirrorless models coming JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 32 08-08-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top