Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #751
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Turo Quote
Hi, I'm Spanish and I'm surprised about the "visor a nivel del ojo", because "visor" means viewfinder and there is no need to add "a nivel del ojo" (eye level). Maybe this was also a translation from another language or means it will come with a non eye-level viewfinder, i.e. a waist level viewfinder.
Maybe it will be nose-level, and introduce a new line of innovative Pentax smellephoto lenses.

01-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #752
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I

So this is a barebone, almost industrial looking camera which can be expanded with several options:

- Electronic Eyelevel Viewfinder
- Large external LCD screen
- Battery housing
- Large Battery Housing for extra longevity
- External Battery holder (for use in cold environments)
- AC adapter
- Small grip
- Large grip
- GPS module

The idea behind this is that you can feature the camera any way you wish. It will never be bigger than you intend it to based on how you'll use it.

So a bit like the GXR, but much more modular. When seen in this light bundling it with the DA 40/2.8 sounds logical too; this way it'll still look like a brick and not like a "pack of cigarettes with a beercan in front of it".

Of course, this is not based on anything but a faint rumor.
And if done right, the next body based on this brick is compatible with previous 'extensions' but why not compatible with new ones.
MMmm Smart
01-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #753
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
From the link: "All Pentax FA lenses will work on the new K-01 with the exception of few models."

What a weird statement...of all things pointing out FA lenses, and even then there will be an exception of a few models?
At least FA85/2.8 Soft (and F version). I know, this very lens is a different kettle of fish, completely (or is it) useless with Digital.
Note the absence of 'A' setting on the aperture ring.

From KMP website:
01-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #754

From the link: "All Pentax FA lenses will work on the new K-01 with the exception of few models."

What a weird statement...of all things pointing out FA lenses, and even then there will be an exception of a few models?
You know if we were talking about a rumoured strange FF model then I would take that as a hint that it used a 36x36 square sensor which would cut out those lenses (a few tele lenses) that have a baffle at the back with a rectangular cut out. I can't imagine any other situation where some FA lenses won't work while others do. Maybe if they meant DA lenses, not FA lenses and we are talking about a larger than APS-C sensor it might make sense.

01-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #755
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
You know if we were talking about a rumoured strange FF model then I would take that as a hint that it used a 36x36 square sensor which would cut out those lenses (a few tele lenses) that have a baffle at the back with a rectangular cut out. I can't imagine any other situation where some FA lenses won't work while others do. Maybe if they meant DA lenses, not FA lenses and we are talking about a larger than APS-C sensor it might make sense.
The comments on the site suggest that they might have meant "AF" instead of "FA", which certainly would make more sense, but even then "a few models" would seem to suggest SDM/DC, but not supporting those would be weird as well.
01-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #756
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
At least FA85/2.8 Soft (and F version). I know, this very lens is a different kettle of fish, completely (or is it) useless with Digital.
Note the absence of 'A' setting on the aperture ring.

From KMP website:
Hrm, but it should still mount and take pictures in manual mode with green-button metering...
01-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #757
Pentaxian

Hrm, but it should still mount and take pictures in manual mode with green-button metering...
True... If there's a green button or equivalent at all. But if there isn't, why K-mount at all ?
01-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #758
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess it's related to the AF working well, or not, or not at all, with Contrast Detection instead of Phase Difference.

01-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #759
Pentaxian

I'm not sure about it being a "brick" but if you think it through it suddenly makes sense.

Current DSLR's still have the same shape as 35mm cameras from almost 100 years ago (starting with the Leica) because of their heritage (there is a space for the film cartridge and a space for freshly exposed pictures).

Strip down everything reminding from the film era, and we end up with nothing but a cube with a hole (the K bayonet). A little Hasselblad in that sense. In that cube is the sensor (still with SR) and one, maybe two LCD touch screens and one or two card slots. No controls/knobs other than a lens release button and a shutter button. When the camera is rotated the viewfinder info rotates automatically. No grip, no battery compartment, no viewfinder other than the built-in LCD touch screens.

So this is a barebone, almost industrial looking camera which can be expanded with several options:

- Battery housing
- AC adapter
- Small grip
- Large grip
- GPS module
- Network module (WiFi/Ethernet)

The idea behind this is that you can feature the camera any way you wish. It will never be bigger than you intend it to based on how you'll use it.

So a bit like the GXR, but much more modular. When seen in this light bundling it with the DA 40/2.8 sounds logical too; this way it'll still look like a brick and not like a "pack of cigarettes with a beercan in front of it".

Interesting idea...it makes me think back to the simpleton designs of the first iPod (which certainly worked in Apple's favor). May be a savvy business move by Pentax indeed, even if it leaves some of us users looking dumbfounded (we can still hope for that FF DSLR rumor).

I'd have serious qualms before investing in a touchscreen only controlled camera, but it may appeal to the iPhone/Android crowd who have grown quite proficient at the task (and become massive contributors to flickr, etc). Meh, we shall see, but it's fun to consider the possibilities. I guess the optional grip could provide physical controls for some of us die hards.
01-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #760
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax-AF 35-70/2.8

This one AF lens could probably not be used with AF. OFC, if it's a typo meaning AF and not FA.
01-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #761
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure about it being a "brick" but if you think it through it suddenly makes sense.

Current DSLR's still have the same shape as 35mm cameras from almost 100 years ago (starting with the Leica) because of their heritage (there is a space for the film cartridge and a space for freshly exposed pictures).

Strip down everything reminding from the film era, and we end up with nothing but a cube with a hole (the K bayonet). A little Hasselblad in that sense. In that cube is the sensor (still with SR) and one, maybe two LCD touch screens and one or two card slots. No controls/knobs other than a lens release button and a shutter button. When the camera is rotated the viewfinder info rotates automatically. No grip, no battery compartment, no viewfinder other than the built-in LCD touch screens.

- Battery housing
- AC adapter
- Small grip
- Large grip
- GPS module
- Network module (WiFi/Ethernet)

Ok now, that would be really cool! That amount of customisation would even get me past the missing OVF. I would definitely buy a FF version of this.
01-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #762

Wow, we Pentaxians really are a speculative lot, and possibly an information deprived lot, aren't we?

Fifty one (51) pages and seven hundred and sixty two (762) posts about a RUMOURED new camera.

I'm an old fart, and I've recently looked at my options about what I want from a camera, what I would like my camera to enable me to do, if I do it right, and just bought a K5.

I am not a fan of this 'tiny camera' concept, although I do appreciate the fact that not everyone has hands as large as mine, and they are average sized hands for a man, but I needed the D-BG4 grip to comfortably hold the K5.

i also appreciate the fact that half of our photographic community are female, with smaller hands than I have.

So, how do the various camera R & D departments decide on the optimum size for their new model?

I'd hate to be in the position of making that decision.

Just my opinion, but I believe that the best possible IQ should be the first objective of the R & D folk, and a manageable size next.
01-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #763
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote
Just my opinion, but I believe that the best possible IQ should be the first objective of the R & D folk, and a manageable size next.
You're probably right in the target group of a hypothetical less expensive 645D. I think that group may possibly (just speculating now, FF and APS-H fans, don't take this too seriously please ) be more interesting for Pentax to cater to than those who want Pentax to make a D800-me-too FF camera.

Last edited by gazonk; 01-25-2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: couple of typos
01-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #764
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote
but I believe that the best possible IQ should be the first objective of the R & D folk, and a manageable size next.
I second the opinion, but I think they're looking forward to making the camera more "pocketable" or at least for the entry-level products.
01-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #765

@gazonk

A good guess, or maybe a pretty astute assumption on your part, about what I'd really like.

If I didn't have 000's tied up in Pentax glass, I would be seriously looking at the D700 or it's reincarnation.