Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #841
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, here goes my guess ....

1. Take an ellipsoid (deformed egg), with the short axis 59mm long (it vecomes the optical axis).

2. Make the other two axis longer than the camera's measures, i.e, >121mm and >79mm IIRC. E.g., something like 200mm and 140mm.

3. Cut the extrems off the egg, so that the measures become as communicated. You get four flat sides with the front and rear surfaces still being bulges.

4. Of course, the rear LCD and front mount cut the bulges partly flat on the front and rear surfaces too.

5. Make the four flat sides in contrasting color (black) and a border suggesting the front and rear surfaces are made from massive metal (white).

6. The result is a typical Marc Newson design and still would be described by both "brick" and "never seen before". But still ugly enough to hope I am totally wrong. To be clear: I haven't seen the beast yet (I am just trying to simulate parts of Marc's brain )
Stop, you're scaring me

01-25-2012, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #842

Photos: Gallery
Even more scary might be...

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Stop, you're scaring me

Imagine this, a new camera built to take both Pentax lenses and Ricoh GXR mounts, weatherproof, in leather. Perhaps pink.

“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.” Oscar Wilde.

And perhaps guiding the Pentax marketing staff might also be: "“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
01-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #843
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
an extra shutter in portrait
What is this?
01-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #844
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
What is this?
I was referring to the newly released Pentax P&S with "VERTICAL SHOOTING ENHANCEMENTS" with two shutter buttons

PENTAX - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION INTRODUCES OPTIO VS20 WITH 20X ZOOM AND VERTICAL SHOOTING ENHANCEMENTS

01-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #845
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
Imagine this, a new camera built to take both Pentax lenses and Ricoh GXR mounts, weatherproof, in leather. Perhaps pink.

“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.” Oscar Wilde.

And perhaps guiding the Pentax marketing staff might also be: "“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

How to paint a Leica M9 Pinkenta - YouTube

Already done....sadly
01-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They should do FF P & S with fixed prime lens (35mm) without a zoom, in multiple colors. I will buy that for sure.
01-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #847
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
They should do FF P & S with fixed prime lens (35mm) without a zoom, in multiple colors. I will buy that for sure.
I don't think there is a big demand for a $2,000 FF P&S.

01-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #848
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I don't think there is a big demand for a $2,000 FF P&S.
I was thinking more like $1,000. Camera sort of like Leica X1(hardly a point ant shoot, I know).
01-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #849
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I was thinking more like $1,000. Camera sort of like Leica X1(hardly a point ant shoot, I know).
X1 is APS-C and close to $2k with leica premium, but even the Fuji X100 is selling for $1.2k (even the K-5 had be had for less). FF in the $1k most likely will never happen, but I will predict Fuji to come up with a compact FF retro styled camera, most likely in X mount (I think FF will have to be priced high and thus would not work as a fixed lens option).
01-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #850
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like a Brick

If the new VS20 is a hint of things to come, all this buzz for a second shutter release and zoom lever so you can take a picture like its an iPhone.
01-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #851
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

X1 is APS-C and close to $2k with leica premium, but even the Fuji X100 is selling for $1.2k (even the K-5 had be had for less). FF in the $1k most likely will never happen, but I will predict Fuji to come up with a compact FF retro styled camera, most likely in X mount (I think FF will have to be priced high and thus would not work as a fixed lens option).
But if it did happen, it will probably rock the market, no?
01-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #852
Veteran Member

I was referring to the newly released Pentax P&S with "VERTICAL SHOOTING ENHANCEMENTS" with two shutter buttons
Ah, sorry, that should have been obvious to me - I just couldn't figure out what a 2nd shutter would do.
01-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #853
Pentaxian

Sorry, but people set too low expectations on "camera beauty".

For instance, this where the bar is set regarding pro cameras. It might even be functional. Still, is this "pretty", by any means?

It's big, it's clunky and it's horrendous. Most DSLRs are horrid from a aesthetic perspective.

So I don't see how the new Pentax camera can be much "uglier" by just being different. As long as it's good design (ergonomic, functional), it's ok in my book. If the designer they hired is any good, it probably will be.
01-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #854

Does it have a veiwfinder?

If it doesn't have a veiwfinder, along with the LCD, it is a worthless waste of money. A two or three hundred mm lens in marginal light can't be handheld without a tripod if you can't brace it against your face. You might as well buy a point and shoot. In marginal light it is hard to get a sharp picture even with anti-shake.
01-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #855
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dichro1 Quote
A two or three hundred mm lens in marginal light can't be handheld without a tripod if you can't brace it against your face.
Agreed. No news there to any NEX - or other - mirrorless user, OVF or not.

However I don't think long telephoto users - eg birders, sports photogs etc - are the target group for mirrorless cameras, since the main raison d'etre for mirrorless is compactness ('serious compacts' etc), not folks who want to stick telephoto lenses on them.

(Leaving aside, of course, the telephoto extreme folks who like the focal length multiplier impact of mirrorless compacts like the Q and V1/J1).