Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #916
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
. A fully functional sensor shift would have to span 400,000m with 30m precision, or a relative precision of ~10,000:1.
You just doubled your number from 20cm to 40cm, and I don't know where you're getting these numbers. My 15mm DA moves maybe 0.5cm. My 43mm moves maybe a 1.5cm at the most to focus.

So, why did you reply that the sensor is lighter than the lenses?
Maybe it's a language barrier? I don't know what you are saying. What you're quoting there seems to imply a sensor would have more mass than a comparable lens groups would. I don't think that's true.

Something is just not communicating here.

01-26-2012, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #917
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ falconeye
@ konraDarnok ...

I've been following this thread all along, not trying to interfere with any assumptions, suppositions, rumours and/or scientifically based rethorics but these last couple of posts (previous two) make me wonder where the thread is headed.
Bash me if you want but ...
Can you guys shake hands and move on ?

JP
01-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #918

1cm thick isn't all that much different from the 1.5cm thick DA 40mm that exists now. The point of using the same mount? Someone explain to me please.
01-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #919
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
@ falconeye
@ konraDarnok ...

I've been following this thread all along, not trying to interfere with any assumptions, suppositions, rumours and/or scientifically based rethorics but these last couple of posts (previous two) make me wonder where the thread is headed.
Bash me if you want but ...
Can you guys shake hands and move on ?

JP
I would, but I just don't know what we'd be agreeing to disagree about. I don't understand his criticism.

Anywho, if the 40mm XS ends up being a fixed lens with sensor shift, it would be prophetic

01-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #920
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
You just doubled your number from 20cm to 40cm
My first number was for the DFA100WR. And quoted as such.

My second number was the required shift in a camera supporting the general case, taking into account that 180mm/200mm Macro lenses do exist.

I didn't double my number. It's two different numbers.

As for the language barrier: I am saying that the sensor shifts until it hits the body. And (cf. at numbers above) it will. And then, you need to shift the lens instead to make your camera work. And at that point, the sensor mass becomes irrelevant. I nowhere ever implied a sensor is heavier than a lens.

Overall, we are now at a point where we discuss. Something I didn't want. I'll stop it now from my side.

EDIT:
Didn't see JP's post. But to move on was my intention anyway
01-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #921
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
1cm thick isn't all that much different from the 1.5cm thick DA 40mm that exists now. The point of using the same mount? Someone explain to me please.
It is strange indeed. The DA 40 w/o hood and filter thread is just 12mm thick (with some space to the front lens). So, the DA40XS would just be a mechanical revision to make it 2mm smaller. But why shouldn't it work on a standard K mount? Soon we'll know what XS is meant to mean ...

One idea I had was an electric lens cap as it is something which bugs me if I am expected to put a Pentax with the DA40 into a pocket: to first put the lens cap on. Then, it could be (theoretically) that the electric lens cap on a standard K mount wouldn't open. Later XS lenses then could even retract with the lens cap close command.
01-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #922
Pentaxian

I think the new 40mm is optimized for CDAF to be competetive with other systems.
01-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #923
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Few more Pentax K-01 details | Photo Rumors

The camera is designed by a famous designer
The new 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens is less than 1 centimeter thick and my understanding is that it will work only with the new K-01 body
The Pentax K-01 and the 40mm lens are covered with some kind of rubber-like material for better grip

The K-01 will have an external mic output for video recording
And the plot thickens...

Damn, if this thing came all rubberized and weather-sealed, that would kick ass. I just hope it's EVF or whatever (if it ever ships with one) doesn't suck. Back LCD only is a no-no.

01-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #924
ogl
Pentaxian

It seems K-01 will be weather proof camera. I will buy it as travel kit with 40 lim.

I think that the price will be more than USD1000.

Last edited by ogl; 01-26-2012 at 11:31 PM.
01-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #925
ogl
Pentaxian

It is strange indeed. The DA 40 w/o hood and filter thread is just 12mm thick (with some space to the front lens). So, the DA40XS would just be a mechanical revision to make it 2mm smaller. But why shouldn't it work on a standard K mount?
hybrid K-mount ?
01-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #926
Veteran Member

If they will also make rubber lenses, this has the potential of cornering the adult toys market.
01-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #927
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It seems K-01 will be weather proof camera. I will buy it as travel kit with 40 lim.

I think that the price will be more than USD1000.
You seem to know quite a bit about this novelty. So it would really range up the K-5's price and quality levels ?
01-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #928
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I think you've got it backwards. It'd be a much simpler and cheaper camera. SLRs are the complex machines that require calibration to work properly. You'd eliminate the mirror box, phase detection system, and the lens communication for software that would control some kind of linear actuator -- like a voice coil or hypersonic motor. All of the other functions that were achieved in hardware would be virtualized.
I'm afraid I've got it right. Don't forget the idea was to have this and the classic lens AF system.
It cannot be simpler and cheaper. By itself it does not eliminate anything, it's a redundant system added to an already complex camera (be it SLR or mirrorless).
So even if it were a simple, inexpensive mechanism it means added complexity and cost, it will also add bulk. But is it? I'm afraid not... it must be very precise, fast and have a larger moving range than you'd expect. Falk explained why.

Contax... more or less had to do it (to offer AF with MF lenses). But why would Pentax? Why would they put such an unneeded kludge in their cameras? There would be no value added to the current system, since it's already perfectly capable of autofocusing...

1 cm thick lens? Looks difficult to mount/unmount it...
01-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #929

If the camera is indeed a brick shape, I would be weary of the FedEx guy throwing it through my window.
01-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #930

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
If the camera is indeed a brick shape, I would be weary of the FedEx guy throwing it through my window.
I am kind of like that notion, really. A shockproof mirrorless camera. Still, I really hope they come up with something decent for using lenses from other brands. Moving sensor or collapsible mount would be great. A weaker AA filter on the sensor would be good, as well.