Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #976
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,406
It's actually very easy to please all Pentaxians. They just have to make a camera:
- full frame, APS-C and APS-H simultaneously
- square sensor, but 3:2 and 4:3 while being round or at least hexagonal
- a classic DSLR without a reflex viewfinder
- very, very thin with a boxy Hassie-like format but shaped like a ball
- must both use the K-mount and a completely new, electronic one
- to have every feature in the world
- to be stripped down to be bare minimum
- less than 400 euro
And few other such easy to meet conditions

01-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #977
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,103
You forgot: -Lifetime warranty with guaranteed 72hr turnaround.
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #978
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's actually very easy to please all Pentaxians. They just have to make a camera:
- full frame, APS-C and APS-H simultaneously
- square sensor, but 3:2 and 4:3 while being round or at least hexagonal
- a classic DSLR without a reflex viewfinder
- very, very thin with a boxy Hassie-like format but shaped like a ball
- must both use the K-mount and a completely new, electronic one
- to have every feature in the world
- to be stripped down to be bare minimum
- less than 400 euro
And few other such easy to meet conditions

Don't forget a 28mm f/0.95 DA pancake kit lens
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #979
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,435
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Pentax users are a very odd bunch. There is just no pleasing them.

Patience is a tough thing since it was been way too long since anything has been announced.

Not a bathtub shape camera but a rubber coated brink shape camera.

Dave
Sometimes I wonder how many PF member are actually Pentax users. Reading through the various x mount clubs it appears there are fewer than 100 regular image posters in the whole bunch (I am guilty of this sin of omission).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion; everyone is entitled to post that opinion; everyone is entitled to change brands if that opinion warrants.

But I'd sure like to see a flag next to certain avatars that shows how many actual User Pentax Images are posted here or at some other hosting site. Would lend a certain air of relative . . . credibility? . . . to some of the posts.

01-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #980
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,413
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You forgot: -Lifetime warranty with guaranteed 72hr turnaround.
72 hours? That is not acceptable.
01-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #981
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sometimes I wonder how many PF member are actually Pentax users. Reading through the various x mount clubs it appears there are fewer than 100 regular image posters in the whole bunch (I am guilty of this sin of omission).
I am not sure.

Life time is limited. Speculating about a forthcoming camera is fun.

Going out and shooting cool images is fun. Or hanging around with photo friends is fun. Or publishing photos which Adam deems not safe for work is fun.

But to discuss photos with a forum? Not so much ...
01-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #982
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
In consideration, I upload to flickr. It's a pain in the rear end to upload to one source, then upload to another source.
01-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #983
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,194
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's actually very easy to please all Pentaxians. They just have to make a camera:
- full frame, APS-C and APS-H simultaneously
- square sensor, but 3:2 and 4:3 while being round or at least hexagonal
- a classic DSLR without a reflex viewfinder
- very, very thin with a boxy Hassie-like format but shaped like a ball
- must both use the K-mount and a completely new, electronic one
- to have every feature in the world
- to be stripped down to be bare minimum
- less than 400 euro
And few other such easy to meet conditions
It's not Pentaxians...its people in genral. You get a group of 10 people, with different budgets, from different countries, have varying skill, different backgrounds, etc...how many of those people are likely agree about anything?

01-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #984
Veteran Member
Rickster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SE Idaho - Rocky Mtns
Posts: 433
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
How about just plain ugly. His web page looks like a collection of failed designs from the past. I'm sure he has had some good stuff, but his webpage is not encouraging.
I agree !!! A lot of rendered drawings from Rhino3D ;-)
01-27-2012, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #985
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,413
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Oddly enough, some people are posting that they'll quit Pentax if the new camera doesn't support the K-mount and others are complaining that it does have K-mount. Geez

It is ironic that Pentax is one of the last (other than the Q) into the mirrorless large sensor field, but if the mirrorless is adaptable to K-mount, they will have more immediate lens support than any other mirrorless camera out there. Not saying thats good or bad - just interesting.

We need to be patient a little bit longer because right now its just a teaser announcement. (and i'm sure not going to buy it if the designer made it look like a bathtub - i don't have many standards, just a few )
The thing is a new mount could still support K-mount with an adapter. You lose nothing by bringing in a new mount and a fully functional K-mount adapter. You gain the advantages of a modern lens system and design. Does the new K-01 support screw drive AF? Probably not, we are already limiting functionality.

Give me a new mount with a K-mount adapter (with the AF drive motor built into the adapter). Then I can buy adapters for any lens I want to use and still keep the K-mount glass. It gives Pentax the ability to use newer AF technology in the lenses and have the ability to update lens firmware on the camera. Newer lenses that are designed to work with CDAF are much faster than legacy lenses. I think a new mount gives Pentax a lot more opportunity to grow while keeping the dinosaurs happy.
01-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #986
Veteran Member
Chex's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The 'Stoke, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,700
That would be a great idea, sure the adapter may cost $300 or so.. but if your looking to use all of your old screw drive AF lenses it would be worth it.. they should also have without the module for those who are just fine with MF.
01-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #987
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The thing is a new mount could still support K-mount with an adapter. You lose nothing by bringing in a new mount and a fully functional K-mount adapter. You gain the advantages of a modern lens system and design. Does the new K-01 support screw drive AF? Probably not, we are already limiting functionality.

Give me a new mount with a K-mount adapter (with the AF drive motor built into the adapter). Then I can buy adapters for any lens I want to use and still keep the K-mount glass. It gives Pentax the ability to use newer AF technology in the lenses and have the ability to update lens firmware on the camera. Newer lenses that are designed to work with CDAF are much faster than legacy lenses. I think a new mount gives Pentax a lot more opportunity to grow while keeping the dinosaurs happy.
Again, Pentax = K-mount.

Backwards compatibility is the ONLY huge fat advantage Pentax has. Killing that over 0,75 cm is beyond ridiculous.

If people wanted to cope with a brand that stabs it's customers in the back by killing their mount every now and then, just to force them to spend some more, then they can go with Canikon.

Why would even the "kill-K-mount-crowd" be stupid enough to invest in the new Pentax lenses? From then on it's risky to buy their stuff.
01-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #988
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
That would be a great idea, sure the adapter may cost $300 or so.. but if your looking to use all of your old screw drive AF lenses it would be worth it.. they should also have without the module for those who are just fine with MF.
$300,-??

If you want ALL the functionality the lenses currently have. Screwdrive, SDM, DC, etc... Then you're looking at $700,-. Oh WR too? That's $850,-. IF it's even possible to retain all lens functionality. It's an engineering nightmare.
01-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #989
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,413
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Again, Pentax = K-mount.

Backwards compatibility is the ONLY huge fat advantage Pentax has. Killing that over 0,75 cm is beyond ridiculous.

If people wanted to cope with a brand that stabs it's customers in the back by killing their mount every now and then, just to force them to spend some more, then they can go with Canikon.

Why would even the "kill-K-mount-crowd" be stupid enough to invest in the new Pentax lenses? From then on it's risky to buy their stuff.
Pentax does not equal K-mount. There is the 645, Q, & K-mount..... and there are a 9 damn versions of the K-mount. Pentax has ALWAYS had multiple mounts from the little Auto110 to the 6x7.
01-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #990
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 53
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Shorter registration distance gives one thinner cameras. Lenses still might be big. Just look at the Sony Nex lenses. Smaller sensor can give you smaller lenses. Lookhow small the m-4/23 lenses are.
Dave
Shorter register allows for *much* smaller and higher performing lenses from wide end upto long normals as no reverse telephoto is required. As a practical example you might want to check out Cosina Voigtländer 35mm and 40mm f/1.4 pancakes. They are full frame lenses for Leica M-mount. Then have a look how large SLR 35/1.4's are
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-01, k-01 mirrorless camera, mirrorless, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the new pentax mirrorless coming out tomorrow? justtakingpics Pentax News and Rumors 12 07-26-2011 06:22 AM
There may not be a 2nd mirrorless camera rustynail925 Pentax News and Rumors 5 06-29-2011 05:36 PM
Mirrorless Camera--Good or Bad? InStitches49 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 11-10-2010 10:15 PM
[RUMOR] Canon's First Mirrorless Camera! jct us101 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 12 09-14-2010 08:08 PM
New Pentax: K-5, K-r and Mirrorless models coming JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 32 08-08-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top