Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #976
Pentaxian

It's actually very easy to please all Pentaxians. They just have to make a camera:
- full frame, APS-C and APS-H simultaneously
- square sensor, but 3:2 and 4:3 while being round or at least hexagonal
- a classic DSLR without a reflex viewfinder
- very, very thin with a boxy Hassie-like format but shaped like a ball
- must both use the K-mount and a completely new, electronic one
- to have every feature in the world
- to be stripped down to be bare minimum
- less than 400 euro
And few other such easy to meet conditions

01-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #977
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You forgot: -Lifetime warranty with guaranteed 72hr turnaround.
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #978
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's actually very easy to please all Pentaxians. They just have to make a camera:
- less than 400 euro

Don't forget a 28mm f/0.95 DA pancake kit lens
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Pentax users are a very odd bunch. There is just no pleasing them.

Patience is a tough thing since it was been way too long since anything has been announced.

Not a bathtub shape camera but a rubber coated brink shape camera.

Dave
Sometimes I wonder how many PF member are actually Pentax users. Reading through the various x mount clubs it appears there are fewer than 100 regular image posters in the whole bunch (I am guilty of this sin of omission).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion; everyone is entitled to post that opinion; everyone is entitled to change brands if that opinion warrants.

But I'd sure like to see a flag next to certain avatars that shows how many actual User Pentax Images are posted here or at some other hosting site. Would lend a certain air of relative . . . credibility? . . . to some of the posts.

01-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #980
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You forgot: -Lifetime warranty with guaranteed 72hr turnaround.
72 hours? That is not acceptable.
01-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #981
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sometimes I wonder how many PF member are actually Pentax users. Reading through the various x mount clubs it appears there are fewer than 100 regular image posters in the whole bunch (I am guilty of this sin of omission).
I am not sure.

Life time is limited. Speculating about a forthcoming camera is fun.

Going out and shooting cool images is fun. Or hanging around with photo friends is fun. Or publishing photos which Adam deems not safe for work is fun.

But to discuss photos with a forum? Not so much ...
01-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #982
Veteran Member

In consideration, I upload to flickr. It's a pain in the rear end to upload to one source, then upload to another source.

01-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #983
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
- less than 400 euro
It's not Pentaxians...its people in genral. You get a group of 10 people, with different budgets, from different countries, have varying skill, different backgrounds, etc...how many of those people are likely agree about anything?
01-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #984
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
How about just plain ugly. His web page looks like a collection of failed designs from the past. I'm sure he has had some good stuff, but his webpage is not encouraging.
I agree !!! A lot of rendered drawings from Rhino3D ;-)
01-27-2012, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #985
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Oddly enough, some people are posting that they'll quit Pentax if the new camera doesn't support the K-mount and others are complaining that it does have K-mount. Geez

It is ironic that Pentax is one of the last (other than the Q) into the mirrorless large sensor field, but if the mirrorless is adaptable to K-mount, they will have more immediate lens support than any other mirrorless camera out there. Not saying thats good or bad - just interesting.

We need to be patient a little bit longer because right now its just a teaser announcement. (and i'm sure not going to buy it if the designer made it look like a bathtub - i don't have many standards, just a few )
The thing is a new mount could still support K-mount with an adapter. You lose nothing by bringing in a new mount and a fully functional K-mount adapter. You gain the advantages of a modern lens system and design. Does the new K-01 support screw drive AF? Probably not, we are already limiting functionality.

Give me a new mount with a K-mount adapter (with the AF drive motor built into the adapter). Then I can buy adapters for any lens I want to use and still keep the K-mount glass. It gives Pentax the ability to use newer AF technology in the lenses and have the ability to update lens firmware on the camera. Newer lenses that are designed to work with CDAF are much faster than legacy lenses. I think a new mount gives Pentax a lot more opportunity to grow while keeping the dinosaurs happy.
01-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #986
Veteran Member

That would be a great idea, sure the adapter may cost $300 or so.. but if your looking to use all of your old screw drive AF lenses it would be worth it.. they should also have without the module for those who are just fine with MF.
01-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #987
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The thing is a new mount could still support K-mount with an adapter. You lose nothing by bringing in a new mount and a fully functional K-mount adapter. You gain the advantages of a modern lens system and design. Does the new K-01 support screw drive AF? Probably not, we are already limiting functionality.

Give me a new mount with a K-mount adapter (with the AF drive motor built into the adapter). Then I can buy adapters for any lens I want to use and still keep the K-mount glass. It gives Pentax the ability to use newer AF technology in the lenses and have the ability to update lens firmware on the camera. Newer lenses that are designed to work with CDAF are much faster than legacy lenses. I think a new mount gives Pentax a lot more opportunity to grow while keeping the dinosaurs happy.
Again, Pentax = K-mount.

Backwards compatibility is the ONLY huge fat advantage Pentax has. Killing that over 0,75 cm is beyond ridiculous.

If people wanted to cope with a brand that stabs it's customers in the back by killing their mount every now and then, just to force them to spend some more, then they can go with Canikon.

Why would even the "kill-K-mount-crowd" be stupid enough to invest in the new Pentax lenses? From then on it's risky to buy their stuff.
01-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #988
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
That would be a great idea, sure the adapter may cost $300 or so.. but if your looking to use all of your old screw drive AF lenses it would be worth it.. they should also have without the module for those who are just fine with MF.
$300,-??

If you want ALL the functionality the lenses currently have. Screwdrive, SDM, DC, etc... Then you're looking at $700,-. Oh WR too? That's $850,-. IF it's even possible to retain all lens functionality. It's an engineering nightmare.
01-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #989
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Again, Pentax = K-mount.

Backwards compatibility is the ONLY huge fat advantage Pentax has. Killing that over 0,75 cm is beyond ridiculous.

If people wanted to cope with a brand that stabs it's customers in the back by killing their mount every now and then, just to force them to spend some more, then they can go with Canikon.

Why would even the "kill-K-mount-crowd" be stupid enough to invest in the new Pentax lenses? From then on it's risky to buy their stuff.
Pentax does not equal K-mount. There is the 645, Q, & K-mount..... and there are a 9 damn versions of the K-mount. Pentax has ALWAYS had multiple mounts from the little Auto110 to the 6x7.
01-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #990
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Shorter registration distance gives one thinner cameras. Lenses still might be big. Just look at the Sony Nex lenses. Smaller sensor can give you smaller lenses. Lookhow small the m-4/23 lenses are.
Dave
Shorter register allows for *much* smaller and higher performing lenses from wide end upto long normals as no reverse telephoto is required. As a practical example you might want to check out Cosina Voigtländer 35mm and 40mm f/1.4 pancakes. They are full frame lenses for Leica M-mount. Then have a look how large SLR 35/1.4's are