Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #1021

Any chance something was lost in the translation along the way and 40mm is referring to the 35mm camera equivalent field of view (making it something like a 27/2.8)?

01-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #1022
Veteran Member

I dont thing so
01-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #1023
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
The funny thing is that the news had been out for a while on some rumor sites. When I came here to see if there had been any chatter, I was shocked to be find there were no other threads about this rumor.

So I started one, fully expecting it to be merged with some other thread that I had overlooked. Ain't happened yet.

Well, I've been on the 'Net since about 1992, and I can finally say for the first (and probably last) time:

"FIRST!"
Hah Hah Hah Hah actually LOL
01-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #1024
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I dont think so. Each type of display has it's pros and cons, as this excerpt from the manual from the new Fuji XPRO-1 makes clear:
Attachment 115671
You are comparing old outdated EVF to OVF, the one in my post is 10x better.

QuoteQuote:
French manufacturer MicroOLED has announced a 5 million dot OLED suitable for use as an electronic viewfinder - far beyond the resolution of the current best units used in recent Sony cameras. The 5.2M effective dots mean it can display 1280x1024 pixel resolution in color, assuming a four-dots-per-pixel layout. Imaging Resource has written an article in which they suggest it could spell the end of the optical viewfinder.
MicroOLED promises even greater electronic viewfinder resolution: Digital Photography Review

01-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #1025
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Yeah better but it will keep on lagging more then an OVF also Dynamic range is something they can't thouch yet.
Resolution seems to be there at the moment now though but it isn't everything, more needs to be done.
01-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #1026
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How well does EVF respond to change in light? My eyes are pretty quick when going from shadow to sunlight.
01-27-2012, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #1027
Pentaxian

That's really cool.

The resolution issues were never really a big problem for EVFs (in the sense that, it's always improving). The biggest drawback related to OVF is the lack of dynamic range (constrast ratio) of LED screen, which hinders EVFs from being used with too little or too much light. That screen looks much better in this respect.

Pentax is in a great position to release a mirrorless camera because, as long as EVFs keep improving, they have experience on all the other things that make sense to put in a mirrorless:

- Tradition in releasing smaller bodies with great ergonomics
- High-quality primes and compact zooms
- In-body sensor image stabilization
- Rugged and weatherproof bodies (which can be made much more rugged by taking away the mirror)
- Legacy of great lenses (which are a perfect match for EVF, since they can be big, preview DOF correctly and even having electronic assitance for manual focus)

Not to mention that mirrorless is a new market, were a smaller player can play a much bigger role. I hope K-01 is a step in this direction.

01-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #1028

EVF problems

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
How well does EVF respond to change in light? My eyes are pretty quick when going from shadow to sunlight.
Another area which gets little attention is using a CPL with an EVF. It is nearly impossible to tell what is really going on as you turn the polarizer while viewing through a EVF or LCD.
01-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #1029
Banned

Photos: Albums
Not even that - the page that rawr quoted is about what to chose on the XPro1 - so those are camera specific instructions, not general observations.
01-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #1030
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Another area which gets little attention is using a CPL with an EVF. It is nearly impossible to tell what is really going on as you turn the polarizer while viewing through a EVF or LCD.
Which EVF is your experience based on?
01-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #1031
Veteran Member

The 5.2M effective dots mean it can display 1280x1024 pixel resolution in color
Meagre progress. I'd like to see that resolution double again, and the lag go away.
01-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #1032
Banned

Is it just me or are the rumors about this camera getting worse and worse? First it's a K-mount mirrorless and people point to being able to use their K lenses with it and then it sounds like it's not even compatible with all K-mount lenses!
01-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #1033
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
are the rumors about this camera getting worse and worse?
The bush telegraph effect. The more points through which a message/rumour gets repeated, the more distorted it becomes.
01-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #1034
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the smart think with the full size k is when some of them go to buy their next camera they will buy into a higher end possible an SLR because they now have the lenses.
Yes, they have the new special APS-C recessed lenses that will not work on anything else then APS-C sized mirror less bodies. Not such a clear path upwards. Unless all new bodies will be mirrorless... and the lenses are FF compatible.
01-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #1035
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Yes, they have the new special APS-C recessed lenses that will not work on anything else then APS-C sized mirror less bodies. Not such a clear path upwards. Unless all new bodies will be mirrorless... and the lenses are FF compatible.
Possibly there will be a adapter to use the new xs lenses on DSLR's. Or possibly, the new xs lenses will be flimsy that one wouldn't want to use it on a full featured camera.