Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am also curious to hear about the image processor. If the sensor and processor are both taken from the K5, but sold as an entry-level or mid-tier model, that would be pretty incredible.

01-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It makes sense. But I'm a bit sad because I wanted the Pentax's unmatched pancake lens design to actually go towards a thin complete system (collapsed flange depth). I guess it wouldn't fit with their superb ergonomics.

Last edited by Eruditass; 01-19-2012 at 11:33 AM.
01-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #108
Site Supporter

I had thought the kr sequel would likely be mirrorless. The Km - kx - kr body style really seems to have burned itself and is no longer a hot seller. I would expect optical viewfinder to continue on the upper end body. I don't think there is any problem with this, certainly it isn't a step down from any of the current kr specs and hits a nice niche without destroying the existing Pentax base with a new mount.

The big question in my mind is about the K5 sequel. I would guess 24 megapixel Sony APS-C sensor, improved video options and improved autofocus ability -- I guess more incremental improvements over the K5 then anything earth shaking, but then again, what do I know?
01-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Selling it at entry price ($500-600) would be brilliant. Selling it at mid-level price ($800-1000) would be so,so considering a lot of places are listing the k-5 for $1000-1100, so they'd shoot themselves in the foot that way. Selling it at original k-5 price ($1500) is stupid.

So with the listed specifications, entry level would be absolutely brilliant.

01-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #110
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Please immediately remove Mikael's full name and plain text email from your posts. It is in violation with the license rules in using a registrar service and illegal. Thank You!
It's not illegal.

PENTAXK01.com WHOIS domain registration information from Network Solutions

Anyone can find the information.
01-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #111
ogl
Pentaxian

mirrorless from Pentax means new pancakes...I hope
01-19-2012, 11:41 AM - 2 Likes   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It's not illegal.

PENTAXK01.com WHOIS domain registration information from Network Solutions

Anyone can find the information.
Why does anybody like to argue with me?

The very page you linked contains the following paragraph:
QuoteQuote:
The data in this whois database is provided to you for information
purposes only, that is, to assist you in obtaining information about or
related to a domain name registration record. We make this information
available "as is," and do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a
whois query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful
purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1)
enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that stress or load
this whois database system providing you this information; or (2) allow,
enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited,
commercial advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic
mail, or by telephone. The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or
other use of this data is expressly prohibited without prior written
consent from us.
To copy information in a form accessible to google violates the terms.

And anyway, it simply is a matter of good style and education not to publish a reputated person's full private data (like email, full name and phone numbers) on a page which is disposed to google crawling. It is a criminal offense in some countries even.
01-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #113
Forum Member

and very likely even thinner than the current pancakes. The rare part of the lens can be deeply inside the camera body coz there is no mirror anymore. When mounted we may only see a focus ring outside the camera...

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
mirrorless from Pentax means new pancakes...I hope

01-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #114
Veteran Member

The info which is spreading now happens to be the info I made available about a year ago:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/129409-forthcoming-pen...ss-camera.html

At that time, sources actually hinted at mirrorless with the K mount but I found it safer to say, with K mount support.

It seems, a year old project was put on hold and resurrected by Ricoh after the take over. CP+ seems like a reasonable release date then. As is the reuse of K-5 tech (LCD and sensor).

If the Pentax mirrorless turns out to be K mount indeed, then this has a number of pro and cons:

+ compatibility and only mirrorless company committed to protect investments into lenses.

+ retractable lenses for wide angle and transportability are feasible.

+ a future full frame mirrirless is feasible.

+ SLR-like ergonomics because not too small.

- Relatively large and heavy body for a mirrorless.

- No adapters for other vendors (Leica M etc.)

o SR?

A K-x is 63.5mm deep (mount to LCD), a K01 is claimed to be 59 mm or 4.5mm less. Removing the SR daughterboard would free up more space so I guess they maintained the sensor shift SR and succeeded to squezze another 4mm from the stuff found between sensor and LCD.

Note that the K01 as described here would fit very well into Hoya's old management style:

1. As little as possible R&D (take a K-x or K-7 body, remove the mirror (probably K-7 because the K-7 decouples shutter and mirror), replace the focus screen by an EVF screen and make the VF an EVF.

2. Limited risk because no new mount needs to be marketed. Therefore I guess that Hoya did not have new retractable lens designs in mind ...

3. Can replace entry level SLRs because buyers can still upgrade to the more expensive SLR line.

Everything combined, today's rumor appears plausible to me.
Totally agree. It is too soon to see the Ricoh inspire stuff from Pentax. The camera does appear to be the long rumored second camera that was supposed to be released before the end of last year and was delayed due Ricoh purchasing Pentax and two natural disasters. Maybe the extra time allow the camera to be perfect and early buyers will not feel like beta testers.

I do hope the new camera has a built-in EVF and peak focusing. Rugged and weather-sealed would be a big plus.

Still not much is known, but I am sure there will be a few more leaks and a lot of rumors in the weeks leading up to CP+.

Dave
01-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by feishui Quote
and very likely even thinner than the current pancakes. The rare part of the lens can be deeply inside the camera body coz there is no mirror anymore. When mounted we may only see a focus ring outside the camera...
Do you really think Pentax will design K-mount lenses that are not compatible with all K-mount cameras?
01-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #116
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I deleted as he personally requested it. It's public but usually spambot-proof on those whois sites.

In case you didn't know, Mika is our good friend from Pentaxeros...and apparently this k01 rumor can be considered reliable
01-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by feishui Quote
I don't see how that could work when the K registration distance is fixed.
01-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #118
Site Supporter

Why does anybody like to argue with me?

The very page you linked contains the following paragraph:
To copy information in a form accessible to google violates the terms.

And anyway, it simply is a matter of good style and education not to publish a reputated person's full private data (like email, full name and phone numbers) on a page which is disposed to google crawling. It is a criminal offense in some countries even.
Why argue with you?

You said it was illegal and it isn't. Maybe where you live, but not here on my side of the Internet.

What you just posted is based in a DDoS on the WHOIS database, which a link in the Pentax forums (or Google crawing) is hardly qualified to do.

I don't put people's info out there, but if someone is starting to squat a Pentax domain, then it's fair game to use the legal methods to display who it is.
01-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Do you really think Pentax will design K-mount lenses that are not compatible with all K-mount cameras?
The DA lenses are not FF compatible. Seems to be Pentax thinking to have lenses being foward compatible so old lenses can be used with new cameras. But not always the other way around where new lenses can be used with old cameras.

Dave
01-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The DA lenses are not FF compatible. Seems to be Pentax thinking to have lenses being foward compatible so old lenses can be used with new cameras. But not always the other way around where new lenses can be used with old cameras.

Dave
Actually, lots of the DA's are compatible. There's a thread on it somewhere here on PF...