Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #1291
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
The designer in charge of the camera seems to like anachronic designs. I don't think it will be too futuristic (e.g., NEX-like) since those designs get outdated quickly. I bet it will incorporate more Pentax DNA like a K1000, but with natural forms (e.g., rounded-squared) and modern features (more modern colors, textures and finish). I'm pretty sure it will be a pretty different camera design, though.
Anachronistic may be a good word. I think that Marc Newson travels back in time to 1965 and designs what people think 2012 will look like. Retro-modern, to coin a phrase. Think of Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey". The new Pentax will be at home orbiting the Earth!

Images from Designing the Future – The production design of 2001: A Space Odyssey

01-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #1292

Original Poster
I wonder how many of the posts will be posts wondering about the total number of posts?
01-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #1293
Veteran Member

less than 24 hours till we know at this point (even assuming no-one blogs about it until after the event. lol like that will happen - someone will be real time blogging if they can get in)
01-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #1294
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
less than 24 hours till we know at this point (even assuming no-one blogs about it until after the event. lol like that will happen - someone will be real time blogging if they can get in)
i thought it was being released on the 2nd? its the 31st now isn't it?

01-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #1295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
The designer in charge of the camera seems to like anachronic designs. I don't think it will be too futuristic (e.g., NEX-like) since those designs get outdated quickly. I bet it will incorporate more Pentax DNA like a K1000, but with natural forms (e.g., rounded-squared) and modern features (more modern colors, textures and finish). I'm pretty sure it will be a pretty different camera design, though.
I wouldn't call the NEX particularly futuristic from a design standpoint -- it just seems like a pared down bit of industrial minimalism to my eyes. And I'm not expecting much of a tip of the hat to traditional SLR designs -- see the repeated remarks that it looks really different from anything else we've seen.

Anyhow, the fact that Ricoh/Pentax are making a big deal about Newson's involvement certainly suggests that the styling will be a distinctive selling point. My guess is that the design will polarise responses into either loving or hating it. And that's a good thing for a brand with a minority market share, assuming a roughly equal distribution of responses. The worst thing that Ricoh/Pentax could do would be another "me too" design.

Last edited by asw66; 01-31-2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: clarity
01-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #1296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
i thought it was being released on the 2nd? its the 31st now isn't it?
it is just wishful thinking on my part (and a lack of coffee which i'm rectifying now )
01-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #1297
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote

Anyhow, the fact that Ricoh/Pentax are making a big deal certainly suggests that the styling will be a distinctive selling point. My guess is that the design will polarise responses into either loving or hating it. And that's a good thing for a brand with a minority market share, assuming a roughly equal distribution of responses. The worst thing that Ricoh/Pentax could do would be another "me too" design.
Exactly. the Q was such a design as well, and if this was meant to compliment it(if the design is the one that was supposed to come out last year) then it will be interesting for certain.

FWIW even though I am a die hard SLR user I want this to be something unique, not a me too item. if it's functionally good I can see it as a compliment to my SLR. that is something I can't say about any of the mirrorless I've tried so far (the X Pro though is pretty sweet looking - the OM-D sounds interesting but I have no desire for m4/3 - I have a 4/3 and never use it) the nexs do nothing for me too skinny

01-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #1298

Original Poster
A perverse part of me is hoping that it looks like an old Kodak Brownie-- the original "brick" camera.
01-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #1299
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Exactly. the Q was such a design as well, and if this was meant to compliment it(if the design is the one that was supposed to come out last year) then it will be interesting for certain.

FWIW even though I am a die hard SLR user I want this to be something unique, not a me too item. if it's functionally good I can see it as a compliment to my SLR. that is something I can't say about any of the mirrorless I've tried so far (the X Pro though is pretty sweet looking - the OM-D sounds interesting but I have no desire for m4/3 - I have a 4/3 and never use it) the nexs do nothing for me too skinny

It does seem like the K-01 and the Q are meant to compliment each other. I sure wish the K-01 will have a built-in EVF, but it might just be asking way too much.

The Fuji X Pro is a very interesting camera. I am more a dslr type of person and like the rumors about the Olympus OM-D. I got my wife a E-PL2 last June for her birthday. her only complaint was the lack of a viewfinder. I got her the EVF accessory for Christmas and the EVF lives on the camera. Makes one wonder way not just get a camera with the EVF built-in in the first place.

I do want a smaller than my K-5 camera to take with me on my cave trips. It should be rugged and sealed would be a good thing. The OM-D looks to be a good choice right now. My local B&M camera store carries both Fuji and Olympus so I can give them a good hands-on. With Pentax I will have to mail-order the camera after hearing what reviewers and initial buyers have to say about the camera. Hopefully the thicker camera body means that a bigger battery is being used. The battery life for my wife's E-PL2 sucks.

Dave
01-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #1300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

by that image i would suppose that there won't be an adapter.
Its too deep in my opinion. i would have preferred something thinner. its not very much thinner than my K-r.

using a mirror and putting the sensor where the pentaprism would normally be would have been a nice option. doesn't look like they took that approach though. would that still qualify it as a mirrorless?
That camera must be quite a bit larger than predicted, the drawing doesn't even fit my 14" laptop screen here !

JP
01-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #1301
Veteran Member

so that would make it 100 pages

That was my guess a few days and many posts earlier.
01-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #1302
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That camera must be quite a bit larger than predicted, the drawing doesn't even fit my 14" laptop screen here !

JP
sorry i didn't know how to resize it. i know there is a post on here somewhere about resizing images. didn't manage to find it though
01-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #1303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Was reading the invitation to the design preview with Marc Newson. Went to his website...pretty interesting designs. Maybe the K-01 will be something really different...

Marc Newson Ltd
01-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #1304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The Fuji X Pro is a very interesting camera. I am more a dslr type of person and like the rumors about the Olympus OM-D.
What? Isn't the OM-D supposed to be a fake DSLR? I think retro has gone too far if you hide your EVF in a pentaprism-lookalike...
01-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #1305
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
What? Isn't the OM-D supposed to be a fake DSLR? I think retro has gone too far if you hide your EVF in a pentaprism-lookalike...
i dont particularly have a problem with it. In five years, EVFs will be indistinguishable with OVFs. there could essentially be an SLR with no moving parts. besides focusing/zooming

i know a very large number of people on this forum would hate the idea though.