Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #1291
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
The designer in charge of the camera seems to like anachronic designs. I don't think it will be too futuristic (e.g., NEX-like) since those designs get outdated quickly. I bet it will incorporate more Pentax DNA like a K1000, but with natural forms (e.g., rounded-squared) and modern features (more modern colors, textures and finish). I'm pretty sure it will be a pretty different camera design, though.
Anachronistic may be a good word. I think that Marc Newson travels back in time to 1965 and designs what people think 2012 will look like. Retro-modern, to coin a phrase. Think of Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey". The new Pentax will be at home orbiting the Earth!







Images from Designing the Future – The production design of 2001: A Space Odyssey

01-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #1292
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 97
Original Poster
I wonder how many of the posts will be posts wondering about the total number of posts?
01-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #1293
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
less than 24 hours till we know at this point (even assuming no-one blogs about it until after the event. lol like that will happen - someone will be real time blogging if they can get in)
01-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #1294
Veteran Member
parsons's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 389
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
less than 24 hours till we know at this point (even assuming no-one blogs about it until after the event. lol like that will happen - someone will be real time blogging if they can get in)
i thought it was being released on the 2nd? its the 31st now isn't it?

01-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #1295
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 341
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
The designer in charge of the camera seems to like anachronic designs. I don't think it will be too futuristic (e.g., NEX-like) since those designs get outdated quickly. I bet it will incorporate more Pentax DNA like a K1000, but with natural forms (e.g., rounded-squared) and modern features (more modern colors, textures and finish). I'm pretty sure it will be a pretty different camera design, though.
I wouldn't call the NEX particularly futuristic from a design standpoint -- it just seems like a pared down bit of industrial minimalism to my eyes. And I'm not expecting much of a tip of the hat to traditional SLR designs -- see the repeated remarks that it looks really different from anything else we've seen.

Anyhow, the fact that Ricoh/Pentax are making a big deal about Newson's involvement certainly suggests that the styling will be a distinctive selling point. My guess is that the design will polarise responses into either loving or hating it. And that's a good thing for a brand with a minority market share, assuming a roughly equal distribution of responses. The worst thing that Ricoh/Pentax could do would be another "me too" design.

Last edited by asw66; 01-31-2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: clarity
01-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #1296
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
i thought it was being released on the 2nd? its the 31st now isn't it?
it is just wishful thinking on my part (and a lack of coffee which i'm rectifying now )
01-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #1297
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote

Anyhow, the fact that Ricoh/Pentax are making a big deal certainly suggests that the styling will be a distinctive selling point. My guess is that the design will polarise responses into either loving or hating it. And that's a good thing for a brand with a minority market share, assuming a roughly equal distribution of responses. The worst thing that Ricoh/Pentax could do would be another "me too" design.
Exactly. the Q was such a design as well, and if this was meant to compliment it(if the design is the one that was supposed to come out last year) then it will be interesting for certain.

FWIW even though I am a die hard SLR user I want this to be something unique, not a me too item. if it's functionally good I can see it as a compliment to my SLR. that is something I can't say about any of the mirrorless I've tried so far (the X Pro though is pretty sweet looking - the OM-D sounds interesting but I have no desire for m4/3 - I have a 4/3 and never use it) the nexs do nothing for me too skinny
01-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #1298
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 97
Original Poster
A perverse part of me is hoping that it looks like an old Kodak Brownie-- the original "brick" camera.

01-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #1299
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 443
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Exactly. the Q was such a design as well, and if this was meant to compliment it(if the design is the one that was supposed to come out last year) then it will be interesting for certain.

FWIW even though I am a die hard SLR user I want this to be something unique, not a me too item. if it's functionally good I can see it as a compliment to my SLR. that is something I can't say about any of the mirrorless I've tried so far (the X Pro though is pretty sweet looking - the OM-D sounds interesting but I have no desire for m4/3 - I have a 4/3 and never use it) the nexs do nothing for me too skinny

It does seem like the K-01 and the Q are meant to compliment each other. I sure wish the K-01 will have a built-in EVF, but it might just be asking way too much.

The Fuji X Pro is a very interesting camera. I am more a dslr type of person and like the rumors about the Olympus OM-D. I got my wife a E-PL2 last June for her birthday. her only complaint was the lack of a viewfinder. I got her the EVF accessory for Christmas and the EVF lives on the camera. Makes one wonder way not just get a camera with the EVF built-in in the first place.

I do want a smaller than my K-5 camera to take with me on my cave trips. It should be rugged and sealed would be a good thing. The OM-D looks to be a good choice right now. My local B&M camera store carries both Fuji and Olympus so I can give them a good hands-on. With Pentax I will have to mail-order the camera after hearing what reviewers and initial buyers have to say about the camera. Hopefully the thicker camera body means that a bigger battery is being used. The battery life for my wife's E-PL2 sucks.

Dave
01-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #1300
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
by that image i would suppose that there won't be an adapter.
Its too deep in my opinion. i would have preferred something thinner. its not very much thinner than my K-r.

using a mirror and putting the sensor where the pentaprism would normally be would have been a nice option. doesn't look like they took that approach though. would that still qualify it as a mirrorless?
That camera must be quite a bit larger than predicted, the drawing doesn't even fit my 14" laptop screen here !

JP
01-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #1301
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 443
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
so that would make it 100 pages

That was my guess a few days and many posts earlier.
01-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #1302
Veteran Member
parsons's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 389
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That camera must be quite a bit larger than predicted, the drawing doesn't even fit my 14" laptop screen here !

JP
sorry i didn't know how to resize it. i know there is a post on here somewhere about resizing images. didn't manage to find it though
01-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #1303
Senior Member
marosari00's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 138
Was reading the invitation to the design preview with Marc Newson. Went to his website...pretty interesting designs. Maybe the K-01 will be something really different...

Marc Newson Ltd
01-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #1304
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The Fuji X Pro is a very interesting camera. I am more a dslr type of person and like the rumors about the Olympus OM-D.
What? Isn't the OM-D supposed to be a fake DSLR? I think retro has gone too far if you hide your EVF in a pentaprism-lookalike...
01-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #1305
Veteran Member
parsons's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 389
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
What? Isn't the OM-D supposed to be a fake DSLR? I think retro has gone too far if you hide your EVF in a pentaprism-lookalike...
i dont particularly have a problem with it. In five years, EVFs will be indistinguishable with OVFs. there could essentially be an SLR with no moving parts. besides focusing/zooming

i know a very large number of people on this forum would hate the idea though.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-01, k-01 mirrorless camera, mirrorless, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the new pentax mirrorless coming out tomorrow? justtakingpics Pentax News and Rumors 12 07-26-2011 06:22 AM
There may not be a 2nd mirrorless camera rustynail925 Pentax News and Rumors 5 06-29-2011 05:36 PM
Mirrorless Camera--Good or Bad? InStitches49 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 11-10-2010 10:15 PM
[RUMOR] Canon's First Mirrorless Camera! jct us101 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 12 09-14-2010 08:08 PM
New Pentax: K-5, K-r and Mirrorless models coming JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 32 08-08-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top