Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #1366
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Ok peeps, big day today! Let's get this thread to 1500 posts before the real announcement comes and this thread is left in the dumpster of time! We need more speculation STAT! More wish lists, PRONTO! More pre-launch disappointment NOW! Throw in the kitchen sink and unicorns if you have to! Stay focused on the goal and let's get 'er done!
lmao, post 1366 144 to go, I heard it has no AA filter (just to start a spurious rumour)

02-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #1367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Well, a friend of a friend who's roommate knows a guys told me it wouldn't need an EVF/OVF because there will be a groundbreaking, first of it's kind, accessory wireless monocle.
You do know that is what a TLR uses to assist in focus, right?

Been there. Done that.
02-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #1368
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
You do know that is what a TLR uses to assist in focus, right?
Is it a monocle if it's attached to the camera and not jammed in your eye socket?

In any case, those aren't wireless or designed by Madonna.
02-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #1369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I heard that it not only slices...it also dices. 1370 down, 130 to go.

02-01-2012, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #1370
Veteran Member

Based on past Pentax releases I don't think there are going to be any surprises.

I think we're looking literally at a bog standard camera based on the K-5 sensor. Nothing fancy at all.

I suspect it will get a very negative reaction due to: lack of EVF, no articulating screen, lack of significant size reduction despite not having a mirror.

Depending upon the video implementation there may be more to add to the above list. I was hoping that Pentax would make a splash with a mirrorless K - but in order to do that it needs to debut the idea in a high-end body which clearly shows the benefits of removing the mirror box (launching with a fancy recessed zoom lens for example). Do it with the K-01 might permanently tarnish the idea.
02-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #1371
Veteran Member

I heard it's aimed at Great Apes, a huge gap in the market who all have opposable thumbs, but different face shapes to humans, therefore ruling out the ability to even use a VF. A vast untapped market, that will change photography, and the way humans and apes interact, forever.

That or it's for the future robot overlords who will just plug into the HDMI port.
02-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #1372
Veteran Member

This is an honest question: when did a built in EVF become a must have for mirrorless cameras, especially at this price range? (Assuming it is priced $1,000 or cheaper retail).

It's becoming clear that there are two branches of cameras that are developing, those with internal viewfinders, generally more expensive than $1,200 if they are high quality (NEX-7, Fuji X1pro, Olympus OM-D) and those without built in EVFs that are more budget friendly (NEX-5N, Olympus EP3, Samsung NX200, Panasonic GX1, Ricoh GXR).

If the Pentax K-01 has good features (large lens selection, weather sealed?, K-5 sensor) at an affordable price, I see it sliding in very well compared to the lower tier. I'm guessing that there was a decision made to try to attack that tier with this camera, maybe even letting the SLRs (K-5 successor) take on the more expensive than $1,000 crowd.

If people demand a built-in EVF (more of a recent trend really. The NEX-7, Olympus OM-D and Fuji X1pro are all brand new launches. I know the Panasonic G3 line is there, but that hasn't caught on for whatever reason), then Pentax can bring out a camera later with an EVF. Where I agree with you all is hopefully Pentax has an optional EVF that people can choose to buy to go with this camera.

I could use a backup camera to my K-5 since I sold my K-7 due to it not having the K-5's sensor. I'm looking at the Olympus OM-D, Samsung NX20, or the K-01. The Fuji to me, while totally droolworthy, is too expensive for me at the moment for what would essentially be a back up camera. If I'm going to spend $3,000 for camera + 2 lenses, I'd hope it would become my main system camera. But don't get me wrong, I will be totally jealous of all you Fuji owners.

02-01-2012, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #1373
ogl
Banned

http://www.pentax.ru/press/articlehtml/press_mark_newson/

Interview with Marc Newson - Russian version
02-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #1374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Based on past Pentax releases I don't think there are going to be any surprises.

I think we're looking literally at a bog standard camera based on the K-5 sensor. Nothing fancy at all.

I suspect it will get a very negative reaction due to: lack of EVF, no articulating screen, lack of significant size reduction despite not having a mirror.

Depending upon the video implementation there may be more to add to the above list. I was hoping that Pentax would make a splash with a mirrorless K - but in order to do that it needs to debut the idea in a high-end body which clearly shows the benefits of removing the mirror box (launching with a fancy recessed zoom lens for example). Do it with the K-01 might permanently tarnish the idea.
Totally agree. For the low price we can not expect a lot. Most stuff from the K-5 repackage into a designer mirrorless box without a viewfinder and too slow AF.

Maybe there will be an up spec body with an EVF in the future.

Right now the summer release of the K-r and K-5 are more interesting to me because they are rumorred to be smaller but with better viewfinders. Maybe even see some K-01 tech trinkle uo to those new dslr cameras.
02-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #1375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

Google Translation:

You must get a large number of proposals on cooperation. Why did you agree to design a camera for Pentax?

Well, I agreed to work with the Pentax, as preliminary information about this project was very interesting. We have achieved a fantastic understanding, which I think confirms the result of our cooperation and the fact that before I've never worked on the design of the camera. For me it is really the first opportunity to work in this direction. I thought about such a project for many years, so that the proposal was for me a matter of great prospects.

Personally, do you like to photograph?

Of course, I love photography. I love it for many reasons, but it is also part of my job. I work in a visual world must therefore create a large number of photos. The whole concept of an Image, Imagery, visualization of images - this is actually what I'm doing my job.

How photography influences your work?

Photo influence on my work. The reason - I work in a visual environment and live his life through images of objects. My daily rule - I always consider a complete picture of design, prototypes, projects under development, so to view images - in fact, my main principle.

You have created a large number of design products, including clothing and furniture. For what types of products do you prefer to create a design and why?

It's pretty hard to know what I like to create, and what is not. Surely I can say that I do not Fashion designer - that's for sure. But that rocks the other products, I like to work on the design of various products. I do not preference. I like to be able to create designs for all items, as this is the work of the designer. This is not to work in one area, it means being able to use their skills a designer to create a variety of fields.

What inspired you to design Pentax K-01?

The inspiration for this project, like many others, I was working, was the simple desire to do something that I, as a consumer would like to purchase and use.

How would you describe the collaboration with Pentax?

The only thing I can say about the collaboration with Pentax - work on this project gave pleasure, often the work is not so pleasant. Employees were really attentive to all our requests, suggestions and implement them with minimal deviations.

How easy is it for you is to fulfill its creative challenge in designing such a technical mastery of the product?

Well, it's always a challenge, since it is the task of the designer - to express themselves, despite the technical limitations. For me it is absolutely normal process. 50% of my business - work in the aviation industry, and I can say that this area is more complex than cooperation with Pentax. In fact, while working with the Pentax did not have many difficult moments. Employees were sighted, and we were delighted by how far have been able to advance in the design.

What is the Pentax brand image you want, through this development?

I would like to submit a sample of quality and creativity in the art of photography. A lot of my favorite photographic products presented Pentax. So, I wanted to go back to the origins of the quality of the brand and attempt to create something truly unique, something worthy of emulation.

How would you briefly describe the Pentax K-01?

I would define K-01 as a semi-professional camera. I think it really gives the impression of a solid tool, high quality, which is respectively.

What is the key message you would like to convey to potential users of this product?

The new camera looks quite different, as already present on the market cameras - this will be a big surprise for consumers. We see this as a positive thing, so that we can, at least visually separate the product from what competitors are doing, and it's great. I think consumers will be happy, because we give them a choice and an individual product. The company was able to recognize Pentax this opportunity to appeal to consumers.
02-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #1376
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

Thanks for this. I was intrigued by Newson's description of the camera as being "semi professional". To my mind that places it on a par with the K-5. And perhaps that's how it will be positioned -- as being on a par with the SLR equivalent, in a different form factor.

And this in turn makes me wonder if this is the future of Pentax's K-mount bodies -- SLR and MILC options for each tier.
02-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #1377
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote

I think you're right unfortunately. What's hilarious is I've been arguing for this product for 3 years:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/55851-would-you-buy-pe...tml#post543760
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/121618-once-more-penta...ml#post1263323
18 months ago this would have been a killer product. I think Pentax waited a bit long. But at least we got the Q.
02-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #1378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Thanks for this. I was intrigued by Newson's description of the camera as being "semi professional". To my mind that places it on a par with the K-5. And perhaps that's how it will be positioned -- as being on a par with the SLR equivalent, in a different form factor.
Well, if it's going to be "semi professional" it simply cannot just have a non-movable back LCD as it's only viewfinder device. There's nothing less professional than having to compose all your pictures with your arms stretched. But if there really is no eye-level EVF... what then? Is there a different solution...?
02-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #1379
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
This is an honest question: when did a built in EVF become a must have for mirrorless cameras, especially at this price range? (Assuming it is priced $1,000 or cheaper retail).

It's becoming clear that there are two branches of cameras that are developing, those with internal viewfinders, generally more expensive than $1,200 if they are high quality (NEX-7, Fuji X1pro, Olympus OM-D) and those without built in EVFs that are more budget friendly (NEX-5N, Olympus EP3, Samsung NX200, Panasonic GX1, Ricoh GXR).

If the Pentax K-01 has good features (large lens selection, weather sealed?, K-5 sensor) at an affordable price, I see it sliding in very well compared to the lower tier. I'm guessing that there was a decision made to try to attack that tier with this camera, maybe even letting the SLRs (K-5 successor) take on the more expensive than $1,000 crowd.

If people demand a built-in EVF (more of a recent trend really. The NEX-7, Olympus OM-D and Fuji X1pro are all brand new launches. I know the Panasonic G3 line is there, but that hasn't caught on for whatever reason), then Pentax can bring out a camera later with an EVF. Where I agree with you all is hopefully Pentax has an optional EVF that people can choose to buy to go with this camera.

I could use a backup camera to my K-5 since I sold my K-7 due to it not having the K-5's sensor. I'm looking at the Olympus OM-D, Samsung NX20, or the K-01. The Fuji to me, while totally droolworthy, is too expensive for me at the moment for what would essentially be a back up camera. If I'm going to spend $3,000 for camera + 2 lenses, I'd hope it would become my main system camera. But don't get me wrong, I will be totally jealous of all you Fuji owners.
I totally agree. It appears that the K-01 is aimed at the E-P3 and Nex-5 type of camera. I really wanted Nex-7 type of camera.

I have two K-5 cameras and a K-7 for a back up. Still I want a small carry with me all the time camera. A rugged one would be good for my caving camera. A built-in viewfinder would be a big plus, but an add-on evf will do.
02-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #1380

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Well, if it's going to be "semi professional" it simply cannot just have a non-movable back LCD as it's only viewfinder device. There's nothing less professional than having to compose all your pictures with your arms stretched. But if there really is no eye-level EVF... what then? Is there a different solution...?
Hmmm, perhaps he designed it with a waist level electronic viewfinder, like Rolleiflex?