Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #91
Forum Member

Hi! The camera doesn't get a "x" but the lens comes with it does! DA40"X"S

I was a little bit surprised because Pentax seems kept the flange distance of old K lenses. I though they will consider a collapsible lens or adding a prism/mirror in the body to make the camera thinner. But at least we will get a new toy!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
I now believe that this rumor is at least partially fake, as there is not an X in the name of the product id. Now if it was called the Pentax KX-1, or the K1-X, or even the XKx-1x, I'd be more of a believer.

Unless, of course, the company is changing its name to PentaX.

01-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I found it with common searching engine of google. It's public data.
Data retrieved by illegal means isn't public.

Ask people "legally" buying the stolen Mercedes cars in Moscow all the time when they have to return the cars they paid for ...

Publishing illegal data is illegal in turn.

Also, your own copyrighted photography doesn't become public domain only because somebody copied it from pentaxforums to flickr and you found it there ...

Please, do me a favour and don't argue with me but remove Mikaels private data. Thank You!
01-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #93
Forum Member

I believe with such a thin body and the relatively long flange distance of K lenses, there won't be any room for SR. Instead, for the new lens DA40XS, I believe "S" here stands for shock. It will have a in-lens shock reduction mechanism.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
SR is not mentioned? I am definitely interested in this camera to replace my K-x. I will keep the K20D.
01-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a little confused about the rumor regarding the optical viewfinder. From the translation:

In optical viewfinder, but the presence of EVF, is not clear about internal or external.

And then later:

The new machine is so that no optical viewfinder, the mirror-less machine no doubt, the adoption of the mirror-less K mount is amazing value.

The first point seems to say an optical viewfinder is built in, but the EVF is in question. But the second point seems to be saying that since there is NO optical viewfinder, it must be a mirrorless camera. Can anyone provide a better translation?

01-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #95
Veteran Member

This rumor will be true. He was the first one to announce correctly the introduction of the K-5 early in 2010. If the name start with a K than is a K mount, no question
01-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #96
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Please, do me a favour and don't argue with me but remove Mikaels private data. Thank You!
Why only me? I've delete, but it's absurd request.

Last edited by ogl; 01-19-2012 at 08:26 PM.
01-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The smaller dimensions and the 1/4000s shutter speed may point to a shutterless camera. Let's not forget that our DSLR's still use mechanical shutters which take up space. So if they could make the K-01 smaller by removing the shutter it makes perfect sense.
If you remove grip and OVF on a entry level DSLR from Pentax it will be just as small as K-01. At least by specification.
I doubt mechanical shutter adds much to the size of a K-mount camera.

01-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the contrast AF on the K-5 is great. I'd use it a lot more if I had viewfinder instead of holding the camera at arms length to use the LCD.
01-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I'm a little confused about the rumor regarding the optical viewfinder. From the translation:

In optical viewfinder, but the presence of EVF, is not clear about internal or external.

And then later:

The new machine is so that no optical viewfinder, the mirror-less machine no doubt, the adoption of the mirror-less K mount is amazing value.

The first point seems to say an optical viewfinder is built in, but the EVF is in question. But the second point seems to be saying that since there is NO optical viewfinder, it must be a mirrorless camera. Can anyone provide a better translation?
They say:
  • mirrorless i.e. no optical finder
  • whether there will be an EVF is unknown / unclear
  • if yes, whether it is internal or external is unknown / unclear
01-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Exciting times ahead. It does look like the rumorred second camera is finally going to be released. It is way too soon for a Ricoh inspired Pentax camera to be released. Rumors from last year always had it being APS-C sized sensor. Some rumors last yeat had it being mirrorless and other rumors had it being dslr. It does look to be the K-r replacement. Since booth the K-r and the rugged Optica are discontinued. Just maybe this camera will replace both. A compact rugged K-r. If so it will make a real nice caving camera for me. I like how it takes K-mount lenses. Maybe we will get to see more K-mount lenses in the future. Hopefully the AF is going to be fast enough. I wonder waht the XS in the lens name means.

Anyhow, it is way to early in the rumor/leak stage to figure out what is is going to be. At least it is good to hear that something is going to be released in the near future (if the rumors are true). :-)

Dave
01-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I think the contrast AF on the K-5 is great. I'd use it a lot more if I had viewfinder instead of holding the camera at arms length to use the LCD.
I agree!! I like of hope the K-5 replacement will have a hybrid viewfinder so when I want to use contrast AF (extreme low light with lens wide open and slow shutter speed) I can have the camera up to my face for more stability.

Dave
01-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Just as a reference

The info which is spreading now happens to be the info I made available about a year ago:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/129409-forthcoming-pen...ss-camera.html

At that time, sources actually hinted at mirrorless with the K mount but I found it safer to say, with K mount support.

It seems, a year old project was put on hold and resurrected by Ricoh after the take over. CP+ seems like a reasonable release date then. As is the reuse of K-5 tech (LCD and sensor).

If the Pentax mirrorless turns out to be K mount indeed, then this has a number of pro and cons:

+ compatibility and only mirrorless company committed to protect investments into lenses.

+ retractable lenses for wide angle and transportability are feasible.

+ a future full frame mirrirless is feasible.

+ SLR-like ergonomics because not too small.

- Relatively large and heavy body for a mirrorless.

- No adapters for other vendors (Leica M etc.)

o SR?

A K-x is 63.5mm deep (mount to LCD), a K01 is claimed to be 59 mm or 4.5mm less. Removing the SR daughterboard would free up more space so I guess they maintained the sensor shift SR and succeeded to squezze another 4mm from the stuff found between sensor and LCD.

Note that the K01 as described here would fit very well into Hoya's old management style:

1. As little as possible R&D (take a K-x or K-7 body, remove the mirror (probably K-7 because the K-7 decouples shutter and mirror), replace the focus screen by an EVF screen and make the VF an EVF.

2. Limited risk because no new mount needs to be marketed. Therefore I guess that Hoya did not have new retractable lens designs in mind ...

3. Can replace entry level SLRs because buyers can still upgrade to the more expensive SLR line.

Everything combined, today's rumor appears plausible to me.
01-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #103
Veteran Member

I hope the rumor is true. Whether the camera is the best choice for me remains to be seen. It would be good to see that Pentax is moving forward, though. And I would probably freak out if lenses with the optical qualities of the limiteds were available as DA models. That would be stunning.
01-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #104

wasn't there a rumor a few years ago of collapsible lenses or lenses with most of the elements behind the lens mount? it won't work for fast lenses, or teles, but for kit type lenses or short slowish primes it makes sense to use that space for something if there is not to be mirror there.

but about the name, i don't understand how K-01 fits the naming convention. how about ME-D? and then the k-5 replacement can be the MX-D (i'm just saying... it has an "x" at least)
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #105
Pentaxian

K-01 could be a code name like NC-1 was for the Q.