Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #181
Veteran Member

I will wait to see it before forming an opinion. I hope it more than just a K-5 with the OVF and grip removed. I hope it does not look like a big Q.

01-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
It doesn't work well enough IMO. I would prefer easier method of selecting the magnification area.
It's still in it's infancy and has a lot of room to grow.
01-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It looks like a cross between modern and art deco. Blech!
More art deco than anything. I really hope Pentax didn't screw this up.
01-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Good news!
Come on Pentax, bring it home with a Full Frame announcement and shake up the market!

01-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Good news!
Come on Pentax, bring it home with a Full Frame announcement and shake up the market!
Pentax is more likely to shake it up with a pink body than they are a FF.
01-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this is true, time to sell my G3!
01-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #187
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
More art deco than anything. I really hope Pentax didn't screw this up.
No offense or anything, but calling anything designed by Marc Newson "art deco" is like calling the Taj Mahal "Greek revival."

01-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #188
Veteran Member

Even if it's not full frame I'm actually looking forward to it, and the DA 40mm SX could possible be a DA-L (ie DA 35mm) type of lens? Plastic (cheaper) versions of the limiteds with the same optical formulas? Would be awesome as I absolutely love the 35mm.
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
No offense or anything, but calling anything designed by Marc Newson "art deco" is like calling the Taj Mahal "Greek revival."
How about just plain ugly. His web page looks like a collection of failed designs from the past. I'm sure he has had some good stuff, but his webpage is not encouraging.
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it's altogether possible that there will still be a Kr replacement as well with Extra feature content and 100% OVF over this at a slightly higher price. At least this will be a Kaf mirrorless so there is a synergy with the dslr and a reason to develop more lenses

it doesn't look like it's meant to be a high end product but a volume product. as such losing a few K5 features makes sens. there has to be a line logic people otherwise there would be no reason to buy the higher end product. it's the first of what i am sure will be several products before year end it this isn't the one for you continue enjoying your k5 and wait for the next.
Sheesh we finally get a rumour that seems realistic and the haters jump all over it.
off to the other forum (which more and more i think will be home

Other forum?
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #191
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Other forum?
Adam's new place.
01-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #192
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Other forum?
Camera & Photography Forum - Camera-Enthusiast.com
01-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
How about just plain ugly. His web page looks like a collection of failed designs from the past. I'm sure he has had some good stuff, but his webpage is not encouraging.
You're entitled to your opinion man. I happen to like modern design, and there is whole market of consumers for these kinds of designs.

And I've said since the white K's came out, Pentax needs to distinguish their brand from the black-bodied Canikons -- which themselves are still hold overs from the days of film. The SLR was a brilliant Japanese refinement of a German concept -- but 35mm is dead. What you're witnessing in this industry is plateau after obsolescence. Pentax is never going to beat Canikon at their own game, because it's the 3rd quarter anyway.

The future of digital imagining is in its infancy. And I hope Pentax comes up with some good designs. But if you want something from Pentax to wave in the face of the Canikon fanbois, I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I had thought the kr sequel would likely be mirrorless. The Km - kx - kr body style really seems to have burned itself and is no longer a hot seller. I would expect optical viewfinder to continue on the upper end body. I don't think there is any problem with this, certainly it isn't a step down from any of the current kr specs and hits a nice niche without destroying the existing Pentax base with a new mount.

The big question in my mind is about the K5 sequel. I would guess 24 megapixel Sony APS-C sensor, improved video options and improved autofocus ability -- I guess more incremental improvements over the K5 then anything earth shaking, but then again, what do I know?
This makes sense to me. The top of the line K-5 replacement would refine the DSLR camera incrementally whereas the 'entry' level mirrorless design would allow the company to refine and develop that technology on a parallel path that didn't shut out the other part the market (lenses etc). When the mirror-less & EVF tech is perfected then the DSLR as top product would mostly be retired.
01-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #195

A nice little APSC mirrorless based on proven parts and technology. Sounds like the perfect partner to the FF I've always wanted