Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Why not the GXR with a K-mount and K-5 sensor?
There's already a rumor that the Leica M mount for GXR is going to be reissued with the 16 mp APS-C sensor. If the K-mount GXR unit appears, I imagine your wish will be likely to occur.

01-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Exactly. So if they really have managed to make a K-mount camera that is only 49mm thick, I think it might be very interesting indeed. This camera, if the specs are true, would be just 6 millimeters thicker than the X-Pro1 and much smaller in the two other dimensions. The given weight is a bit higher than I would expect, though.
The number on weight might be a mistake
01-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
If this is true, time to sell my G3!
Hmm, I think I'd still keep my g3. It's not so easy to find quality lenses like Oly 12/2 and PL 25/1.4 in such small packages.
01-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hmm, I think I'd still keep my g3. It's not so easy to find quality lenses like Oly 12/2 and PL 25/1.4 in such small packages.
Point taken, but the only reason I opted for a G3 is because I had some 4/3 glass lying around (my first DSLR was an Oly E-420). I'd really like to stick with one brand if possible, for simplicity's sake. I have a K-5 and a K20D...

01-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #215

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The smaller dimensions and the 1/4000s shutter speed may point to a shutterless camera. Let's not forget that our DSLR's still use mechanical shutters which take up space. So if they could make the K-01 smaller by removing the shutter it makes perfect sense.
Removing the mechanical shutter would not change the size of the camera.

No wide pancakes. Almost as big and heavy as my *ist DS. Do not want.
01-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #216
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Kodak were once the giant of the photographic industry and they've now reduced to begging on street corners for loose change due to no understanding the market - even the digital market they created. . .
Kodak is a victim of post-retirement costs related to 53,000 legacy employees (the filing will offload these costs onto a Federal Agency) as well as capital trapped in Plant, Equipment, Patents and Goodwill that rapidly lost their cash-flow supports (film, paper and chemicals). Had Kodak been able to sell the legacy businesses they might well have, but who would have bought them, and at what price? The competition didn't need to buy Kodak - they could just wait for it to collapse.

And now it has. That is all. Happens all the time.
01-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #217
Inactive Account

This looks cool, a smaller camera with better sensor than my Kx!
It even looks like it will come in my home region colours WELLINGTON! NZ!
Might even be WR! Too bad not out yet, would have been perfect travel camera for my wifes' trip to Antarctica in Feb

As for a compact K mount camera with FF and is only 410g I have this:

01-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
No, it's more a chinese thing..

The Japanese have made brilliant artwork for 100's of years that had exquisite design aesthetics.

If a company wants to attract a large market and it's a tech based company, it makes sense to get the design sorted so that it has some kind of visual identity. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a technical device looking like a work of art if it's also functional. All the better.
As long as function is paramount, not form, I agree. Pentax has been a leader in finding ways to make our kit smaller and will, hopefully, continue in that vein with new offerings.
01-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If Pentax releases a smaller, lighter but full-functioned mirrorless camera, complete with EVF and at a good price point, they will have a winner on their hands. The K-5 is already lauded far and wide. It's simple to cannibalise that camera for features and functions in order to keep R&D costs low. Those who want to mount Leica or other lenses already have plenty of options. But trying to compete head-on with Micro-Four-Thirds would be suicide for a company with such small market share.

But what does everyone complain about with the otherwise sleek Sony NEX cameras? The lenses. They are too big and too few. It defeats the purpose of having a small system camera. Even MFT have only recently pulled their finger out and released some nicer prime lenses. Users salivate over them, because they have never tried the superior Pentax Limited lenses.

A camera that is automatically compatible with their entire line-up wins the lens game. And this means Pentax sells lots of lenses to go with the camera body. More profit. If they are smart they will price the new body at or near cost to drive themselves into this market.

The key fact that implies all this to me is the inclusion of a redesigned DA40. This shows Ricoh knows that the legacy Pentax lenses are the key to the success of the entire line.

Yes, the camera must be bigger than the competition to support the K-mount flange distance. But the total size of the camera and kit will not be out of line with other systems. (I do hope, however, that the stated weight is a mistake. It should be much lighter.)

If the rumour is true, this is excellent news!
01-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Even MFT have only recently pulled their finger out and released some nicer prime lenses. Users salivate over them, because they have never tried the superior Pentax Limited lenses.
To be fair, users who certainly know the Pentax Limited lenses and even better primes also salivate over 'em: The Online Photographer: Lens of the Year 2011
01-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #221

I think the "bundeling" with the some kind Da 40 ltd, is really good, because it draws the attention to the other limiteds, a lens group barely known by the "ordinary" consumer.

lol i just noticed the " Pentax K5 ultra-advanced DSLR" add
01-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The info which is spreading now happens to be the info I made available about a year ago:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/129409-forthcoming-pen...ss-camera.html

At that time, sources actually hinted at mirrorless with the K mount but I found it safer to say, with K mount support.

It seems, a year old project was put on hold and resurrected by Ricoh after the take over. CP+ seems like a reasonable release date then. As is the reuse of K-5 tech (LCD and sensor).

If the Pentax mirrorless turns out to be K mount indeed, then this has a number of pro and cons:

+ compatibility and only mirrorless company committed to protect investments into lenses.

+ retractable lenses for wide angle and transportability are feasible.

+ a future full frame mirrirless is feasible.

+ SLR-like ergonomics because not too small.

- Relatively large and heavy body for a mirrorless.

- No adapters for other vendors (Leica M etc.)

o SR?

A K-x is 63.5mm deep (mount to LCD), a K01 is claimed to be 59 mm or 4.5mm less. Removing the SR daughterboard would free up more space so I guess they maintained the sensor shift SR and succeeded to squezze another 4mm from the stuff found between sensor and LCD.

Note that the K01 as described here would fit very well into Hoya's old management style:

1. As little as possible R&D (take a K-x or K-7 body, remove the mirror (probably K-7 because the K-7 decouples shutter and mirror), replace the focus screen by an EVF screen and make the VF an EVF.

2. Limited risk because no new mount needs to be marketed. Therefore I guess that Hoya did not have new retractable lens designs in mind ...

3. Can replace entry level SLRs because buyers can still upgrade to the more expensive SLR line.

Everything combined, today's rumor appears plausible to me.
+1

This analysis makes the most sense, especially the part about this being a Hoya/Pentax concept.

I am not so sure initially it would be priced below an entry-level DSLR. It will come in higher.

Who needs the added complexity (and warranty headaches) of retractable lenses when you are the pancake lens brand?

This kind of camera begs for an articulating LCD.
01-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
To be fair, users who certainly know the Pentax Limited lenses and even better primes also salivate over 'em: The Online Photographer: Lens of the Year 2011
I'm not knocking them, by the way, as I have an Olympus PEN myself. The lenses are perfectly capable. But I think reviews like that one are a result of diminished expectations.
01-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #224
Veteran Member

What if the K-r's replacement is the k-5 and this is the k-5's replacement.
It could be weather sealed and the XS designation means weather sealed versions of the limiteds?
01-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
+1

This analysis makes the most sense, especially the part about this being a Hoya/Pentax concept.

I am not so sure initially it would be priced below an entry-level DSLR. It will come in higher.

Who needs the added complexity (and warranty headaches) of retractable lenses when you are the pancake lens brand?

This kind of camera begs for an articulating LCD.
+1. I'm all for the rumoured camera. The big problem that Pentax faced is that its prior entry level camera - the Km thru Kr series, would be increasingly vulnerable to the new mirrorless compacts coming on the scene, esp. NEX 5n and the new Fuji with their 16 mpx aps sensors, and bright viewfinders/upgraded lcds.

This move was the least Pentax could do to stay competitive.

I've noticed that Canon and Nikon have carefully not placed an APS size sensor in their mirrorless offerings, perhaps to prevent them from cannibalizing their own entry level dslrs. In my mind thats wishful thinking and a mistake on their part because there is nothing holding Sony and Fuji back.

Cheers to Pentax for making the right choice on the Kr replacement.