Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #256
Banned

Wow, 256 replies and 16,061 views in the first 23 hours of this thread !

01-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #257
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Wow, 256 replies and 16,061 views in the first 23 hours of this thread !
Pentaxians are getting desperate for news
01-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #258
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Pentaxians are getting desperate for news
Well, we are due. No announcements for a long time (other than the Q, which doesn't count for me). I think if we had a lens road map, people wouldn't be quite so rabid about reading the tea leaves...
01-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #259

Hmmm... interesting name.

I hope it isn't acronym - KO 1

01-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #260
Pentaxian

It's "Pentax; win by KO #1"
01-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #261
Veteran Member

This is the very first time I've ever thought about changing brands. Pentax is replacing models by stripped down versions. KR went out and gets replaced by... this?? I'm afraid for their announcement in the higher-end category.

The only positve thing about this, is that they're keeping the K-mount... For now, that is. Because if they're stupid enough to get rid of the OVF, then what's keeping them from getting rid of K-mount in a few years?
01-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #262
Veteran Member

X -Stabilised or Xtra (Xtreme?) Sealing, Xtra Step-less (Aperture/AF movement for video) maybe (although I think earlier suggestions of Xtra Small or Xtra Silent are more likely). Or, it could be a new lens series--XS (X -Series), which designate better compatibility wit CDAF. Anyway, I wonder whether this product will get any traction--Sony already has small APS-C mirrorless cameras, Olympus and Panasonic have even smaller mirrorless cameras. Samsung found it hard to get any traction with their APS-C mirrorless, and it was released even earlier. I suppose those, we should be relived that Pentax is coming out with a mirroless that, if not caters too, at least keeps their current K-mount customers in mind. I'll be interested to see whether the camera has focus peaking, how it does video controls.

It's also quite a surprise seeing Pentax go out and hire an industrial designer for the camera--haven't they always done this in-house (or at least silently without any name figure) before? While his designs are a bit hit and miss, some of them are quite good--my father actually has the dish-drying rack, and it is really something (and a very practical design as well)--that dish-drying rack made for a great photograph subject for my Pentax!

01-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #263
Veteran Member

It certainly is about time at the very least for an announcement to be made...at this point the product should be following very quickly behind any news. It has been basically close to 18 months since we have had a new camera announced (and almost 18 months since release....I wouldn't count the Q in this category, strictly talking large sensor cameras).
01-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
This is the very first time I've ever thought about changing brands. Pentax is replacing models by stripped down versions. KR went out and gets replaced by... this?? I'm afraid for their announcement in the higher-end category.
There's no evidence this is meant to be the K-r replacement--it may be a new category instead (I hope so, actually).
01-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #265
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote

The only positve thing about this, is that they're keeping the K-mount... For now, that is. Because if they're stupid enough to get rid of the OVF, then what's keeping them from getting rid of K-mount in a few years?
Geez, you're choking on your own paranoia. What proof is there that the K-r won't be replaced? I don't see a mirrorless camera as a replacement of the K-r. I believe the K-r will be replaced, as will the K-5, and they will introduce new line above the K-5. This is what I take from the Ricoh Pentax UK GM interview, where he called a K-r replacement "inevitable", and stated they need four DLSR's to compete with Canikon.

Q Is there a K-r replacement on it's way?
A While I do not know timelines, it is inevitable that a camera company would introduce a replacement for a product that is profitable and selling well.

We Interview Pentax UK GM Jonathan Martin

It would be hard to find a word stronger than "inevitable" without flat out making the announcement.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-20-2012 at 06:23 AM.
01-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #266
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did everyone see this?
Further specifications
•"921,000 dot" 3-inch, VGA LCD screen from the K-5
•K-5 image processing and sensor (16.3 Mp)
•1080p HD video at 30fps
•1/4000s-30s shutter speed range
•Contrast-detect autofocus (81 metering points)
•Built-in flash
•12.1cm wide x 7.9cm high x 5.9 cm deep (compare to Pentax Q at 9.8cm x 5.8cm x 3.1 cm)
•560g loaded with battery (compare to 200 for the Q)
•New DA 40mm kit lens
•Available in 3 lens kits
•3 different colors
•Electronic viewfinder
Pentax K-01
Mirrorless K-mount Camera - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
01-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #267
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, we are due. No announcements for a long time (other than the Q, which doesn't count for me). I think if we had a lens road map, people wouldn't be quite so rabid about reading the tea leaves...
Probably. Not that I myself need even more lenses to choose from, there are enough interesting lenses in the current lineup to satisfy my LBA+budget for a couple of years

(but for a long time I was waiting for signs of a DA55-300 WR, but now I have it - got it as a Christmas present )
01-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #268
Veteran Member

If this camera has CDAF focusing, does that mean that existing K-mount lenses won't work all that well on it because they are designed for PDAF?
01-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
•New DA 40mm kit lens
•Available in 3 lens kits
I think it would be safe to say the the other two lenses in the "3 lens kit" would be "XS" versions of the DA21 and DA70....
01-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #270
Veteran Member

Unlike most of you (it would seem), I'm actually hoping that it does indeed feature a bold, modern industrial design. The camera world is ready for its iMac.