Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #406
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wouldn't it be meta if Ricoh bought Kodak film division out of bankruptcy?
I don't think that's a good idea. only mimic the film look is enough

if ricoh wants to buy another company to strenghten its camera industry, I would suggest schneider-kruznach.
combine the technology with the existing pentax lenses, and get the schneider's market for medium-format and cinema lenses.
with this combination, pentax 645D line will be more appealing.
and also the brand 'pentax-schneider' sounds awesomely hitech and professional

01-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #407
Veteran Member

The more I think about it, this rumoured mirrorless body would provide an excellent platform for a FF sensor. The K-mount is of course FF-compatible, and all that extra space required for the K-mount flange could be put to use by housing a larger sensor and SR mechanism. Moreover, the reduction in moving parts should reduce costs and simplify production, compared to a FF SLR.

I'd say that a FF body is almost certainly on Pentax's roadmap, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's delivered in mirrorless rather than SLR format.
01-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #408
Forum Member

well, I have some thingking about the new K-01:

-what if it will come with a sensor between aps-c and FF size? something like 1.2x crop factor (30x20mm).
-I wish it has film simulation. maybe kodak films. kodachrome, elitchrome, portra, tmax, etc.
-It has optical VF, and WYSWYG view. something like attaching optical devices around the sensor and reflects the light up to the viewing window. so the view will move along with SR
-magnesium alloy and WR body.
-better video quality. maybe H.264 with at least 2K resolution.

okay, enough..
01-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #409
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
The K-mount is of course FF-compatible, and all that extra space required for the K-mount flange could be put to use by housing a larger sensor and SR mechanism.
The extra space must stay empty, light travel across it. Only if you put the sensor in the ceiling, with a fixed mirror that bend the light path, you have half of the mirror box space to use to put stuff in, like battery, for example.

01-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
I'd say that a FF body is almost certainly on Pentax's roadmap, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's delivered in mirrorless rather than SLR format.
It wouldn't exactly surprise me either, but I hope not. The reason for FF as far as I'm concerned is a better view finder.
01-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #411

I can't wait! I need to see a leaked photo now!!
01-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #412
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe the sensor in this rumoured Pentax is the same as the one used in the new Nikon D4??

01-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #413
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote
well, I have some thingking about the new K-01:

-what if it will come with a sensor between aps-c and FF size? something like 1.2x crop factor (30x20mm).
-I wish it has film simulation. maybe kodak films. kodachrome, elitchrome, portra, tmax, etc.
-It has optical VF, and WYSWYG view. something like attaching optical devices around the sensor and reflects the light up to the viewing window. so the view will move along with SR
-magnesium alloy and WR body.
-better video quality. maybe H.264 with at least 2K resolution.

okay, enough..
H264 is not better than Mjpeg, the only benefit is the file size, but mjpeg gives better results, is a lot more versatile, and needs less power to be decoded. MJPEG vs MPEG4 vs H.264 MJPEG vs. H.264
1080P is almost the same resolution as 2K... (full HD = 1920px large, 2k= 2048px large)

Regards,

Arno
01-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #414
Veteran Member

I know the name isn't necessarily final, but in my opinion something like MK-1 (Mirrorless K-Mount) would make more sense. I know it really doesn't matter, but I always imagined the K-1 name to go to a full framer if it ever happened (or at least stay at the K-5 DSLR level.)

Can't buy much for it these days, but just my two cents.
01-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #415
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
H264 is not better than Mjpeg, the only benefit is the file size, but mjpeg gives better results, is a lot more versatile, and needs less power to be decoded. MJPEG vs MPEG4 vs H.264 MJPEG vs. H.264
1080P is almost the same resolution as 2K... (full HD = 1920px large, 2k= 2048px large)

Regards,

Arno
ahh.. thanks for the info!
01-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #416
Veteran Member

The rumours released so far don't really give enough to form a view, at least for me. The crucial point is whether this is intended to be the first of a new kind of DSLR, in which case retaining the K-mount makes some sense, or is intended to be an offering in the mainstream mirrorless market of Pen and Panny fame, in which case retaining the K-mount makes no sense since it obliges Pentax to produce a heffalump of a body. I guess we'll just have to wait for more news. If existing K-mount lenses operate normally on this it would be great, but if they are compromised by, say, slow AF then this will be a bit of a false dawn. Oh well. Not too keen on the emphasis on a prime lens (of a strange length) rather than family-friendly zooms nor on mention of yellow leather, about a step away from diamonds and a free chest wig with every copy sold. Hoya's final throw could be an odd fish, perhaps.
01-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #417
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wouldn't it be meta if Ricoh bought Kodak film division out of bankruptcy?
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
and released another Limited edition Lx in Honour of the 60th anniversary of Pentax SLR bundled with a brick of Tri-X
Going hammer and tong with Fuji and Canon at the same time.
01-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #418
Forum Member

Hi all

I hope it's ok to ask a rather basic question in what's quite a technical discussion about this new camera (I'm a complete beginner with dSLRs).

I was going to buy a K-r a while back (my first dSLR), but held off cos of finances and the FF issue-think I got too immersed in reading forums with that!

Anyway, I've heard that this new model might be a replacement for the K-r. One reason I was very keen on the K-r was it used AA batteries as well. I realise there may not be an answer to this, but any ideas whether this new camera will have this option. I occasionally do trips where charging batteries is difficult, so flexibility is a big attraction to me.

Any thoughts, info, advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Si
01-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #419
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Found this, looks to be the same size specs.
Looks...... well, quite ugly.
Did you find that in a sex shop?
01-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
I know the name isn't necessarily final, but in my opinion something like MK-1 (Mirrorless K-Mount) would make more sense. I know it really doesn't matter, but I always imagined the K-1 name to go to a full framer if it ever happened (or at least stay at the K-5 DSLR level.)

Can't buy much for it these days, but just my two cents.

I totally agree on starting the product names for the new line with an 'M' - yep it stands for mirrorless, and there's a historical precedent with the old M-series. Let's face it, we're all holding out for a digital MX!

(But not this one):