Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #466
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Apple are not now and have never been a computer manufacturer.
Aren't you from Ireland? That's where Apple used to have computer factories...

01-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #467
Banned

Apple are not now and have never been a computer manufacturer.

Nor is there recent success anything to do with computers, but rather down to the way they manage to sell gadgets based on must-have-it style, even if these are technically inferior to other products.

Last edited by jogiba; 01-21-2012 at 05:40 PM.
01-21-2012, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #468
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Would this be the starting point for the K-01 that Marc Newsom updated and reinterpreted?
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Could be. One of the blurbs I read said that Ricoh had allowed Pentax to dust off some old projects that were shelved by Hoya. There's probably some of that ugly old thing in the new K-01.
I think this analysis isn't accurate.

The K01 as it surfaces now was close to launch about a year ago. It's probably rather unrelated to the Photokina 2006 prototype which probably was cancelled before Hoya took over. Esp. as it didn't have an EVF and the new one probably does have one. The fact that an external designer (and it must have been under Hoya management) was involved is another hint that it is a different project.

My guess is that this prototype was something decided to be avoided to be copied

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I want an OVF I want an OVF.....
when the first EVF's came, ther were many firm believers in OVF vs. EVF.... Hello am I the only one left?
Aren't you aware that this K01 rumor is the best thing which could happen to OVF believers?

Normally, an (inevitable) mirrorless camera launch from Pentax would introduce a new mount and eventually risk to kill their SLR business (i.e., their OVF business). As has happened for Olympus E mount users.

But with an approach like the K01, the mirrorless and mirrored (EVF and OVF) lines can coexist for a very long time with a single pool of lenses which is the best thing OVF believers could have hoped for.

So, maybe you reconsider your complaint
01-21-2012, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #469
Veteran Member

Marc Newson car

I funny thing I noticed during watching the Marc Newson videos was the similiarity between his concept car for Ford and the (popular but not liked) Trabant car made by communist East Germany (VEB Sachsenwerk). Enjoy ...

01-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #470
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think this analysis isn't accurate.

Aren't you aware that this K01 rumor is the best thing which could happen to OVF believers?

Normally, an (inevitable) mirrorless camera launch from Pentax would introduce a new mount and eventually risk to kill their SLR business (i.e., their OVF business). As has happened for Olympus E mount users.

But with an approach like the K01, the mirrorless and mirrored (EVF and OVF) lines can coexist for a very long time with a single pool of lenses which is the best thing OVF believers could have hoped for.

So, maybe you reconsider your complaint
I think you are thinking like I am thinking, that Pentax is likely to keep a couple K mount camera bodies in their lineup.--- a less expensive one
that is mirrorless and an upscale one with a mirror. Otherwise it's been increasingly difficult to have 2 offerings that are materially different.

If that is really what they do, I couldn't be happier. I'll have a choice of a mirror or not, and all my lenses will work regardless.
01-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #471
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Cork.
01-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #472
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I funny thing I noticed during watching the Marc Newson videos was the similiarity between his concept car for Ford and the (popular but not liked) Trabant car made by communist East Germany (VEB Sachsenwerk). Enjoy ...
Good catch. In particular, note the curves of the front and rear trabby windows, and the window shapes all around. I'd certainly say he was paying some design tribute to the older car, even though as an Australian he might not have much reason to do so.

Attached Images

01-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #473
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen.
01-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #474
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen.
Really? I kind of like it.
01-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #475

I used to own a Simca and drove the heck out of it. Ugly maybe, but a lot of fun.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
KODAK DC280 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA  Photo 
01-21-2012, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #476

Original Poster
Yep. Anyone else in the world would be all, "hey, cool, we got a world-famous industrial designer working on our camera!"

We're all "Oh noes, we have a world-famous designer working on our camera!"

Maybe y'all could, you know, wait until some visuals come out before getting your nerd-rage on.
01-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
*rolls eyes*
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Last time I checked Quanta made the computers with an Apple brand name on them. Before that it was Foxconn and before that some other ODM. Foxconn still makes the iPhones and I think both do the iPads. They buy from wherever they can get the cheapest labour in China and vicinity. Just like (almost) everyone else. You guys should stop sipping the Kool-aid.
01-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #478
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
Yep. Anyone else in the world would be all, "hey, cool, we got a world-famous industrial designer working on our camera!"

We're all "Oh noes, we have a world-famous designer working on our camera!"

Maybe y'all could, you know, wait until some visuals come out before getting your nerd-rage on.

Like any forum, this one has it's share of borderline autistics with singular purpose to the detriment of everything else. "Definitely full frame. Definitely a full frame by Photokina. Definitely full frame.. Definitely, have to beat Canikon. Definitely a full frame. AhhhhhhhhHHH!"

01-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #479
Veteran Member

If the new camera makes me sushi, I'm in for the unagi model.
Hell yeah, I'm in. Only for the Unagi.
01-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #480
Veteran Member

I guess what is coming is a plethora of cameras from Ricoh-Pentax Division. Just got an email confirmation from Official Distributor here in the Philippines regarding new cameras. Unfortunately, she can't tell me what it is except to wait.