Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #601
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

But a hybrif VF is a desirable thing. Not only would it display the LV image when the mirror is up. But it may overlay frame lines, live histogram, the previous image (for pano work etc.), better feedback from the AF (like direction and distance to focus for manual work) and much more. And with a system like the new Nikon 91k RGB exposure meter sensor (using another face of the prism -- aren't prism wonderful things?), it could overlay a live QVGA image with AF tracking info and other info ...
drool!!!

But why isn't anyone using something along the lines of Canon's eye-tracking focus technology?

01-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #602
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
You can use those manual focus lenses on Canon cameras too - you don't need a Pentax for that. So much for this argument.
Would a Canon hold the iris open until you press the shutter, work with A lenses, or support AF for F / FA lenses? And stabilise all of them? ;P
01-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #603
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The K5 catch in focus is far from spot on esp. if you have lenses faster than f2.8.
Like I said before. I owned a NEX5n and a K5 at the same time for some months.

Catch in focus on the K5 works 100% spot on with my Porst 55mm ƒ1.2! Yes, there are some shots that I miss, but those are human error only.

With the NEX5n, it would take ages to focus that same Porst 55mm ƒ1.2.

I've found MF on EVF to be much better provided they are the ones with higher screen refresh rates.
Coupled with the focusing aids like peaking, zoom in, window in window zoom box and larger viewfinder on such EVFs (ie. G3; A77), its a basically a easier method to do MF.
Agree, it's surely easier. But so much more work and it takes much more time. Your subject and yourself shouldn't be moving at all. It's ideal for landscapes, architecture. But don't try doing that at a party or a sportsevent!

With my Porst, K5 and catch in focus, I can do portraits with the eye in 100% focus at a CHILDRENS PARTY. It takes some work, knowhow and practice though.

But when I get the chance to take time to focus, like with a landscape, I'll use the LV and zoom in 8x.

It's really nice being able to choose, and have best of both worlds. So, going mirrorless is the removal of an important feature, not the improvement or addition of one.

I'm enthusiastic and happy that Pentax brought out something new.
Don't get me wrong. I feel the same. I'm particularly happy they kept K-mount! I just hope and pray that they'll keep the OVF for their high end bodies. Hopefully there's a very interesting model(s) to come.
01-23-2012, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #604
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
LOL did you read it yourself? It confirms it.
No it doesn't.

You made the naive assumption that the Russians' pencils were as good as the Americans' pens.

They weren't. They were dangerous. Carbon dust in an enclosed gravity-free environment chock-full of electronic systems is a Bad Idea. Hence the adoption of the Fisher Space Pen by both countries on later space missions. I have one of these, and also give them as gifts. Great pen.

I've not really come across your posts before, but on this thread, from your first appearance, you have been a drama queen.

Do you secretly think the world will end every time the sun sets?

I suppose some people always think the glass is half empty, poisoned, and with a razor-sharp crack in the brim...

01-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #605
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
You can use those manual focus lenses on Canon cameras too - you don't need a Pentax for that. So much for this argument.
He was talking about availability... as in how easy they are to get.

Dunno much about Canon lenses though so I still don't know if that argument is still valid, heh.
01-23-2012, 03:22 AM   #606
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, that's a bit of a relief.

Hopefully Pentax/Ricoh gave him some strict rules to operate within too.
Clavius, do you really believe that Pentax/Ricoh would invite acknowledged designer to design their camera if they didn't really see the room for improvement?
You're consistently moaning about the selection of designer and design, that nobody of us have yet a chance to see, but you're quick to condemn it already. Now if Pentax had any distinctive character in their camera designs, I would understand...but it doesn't. All their cameras are pretty utilitarian, good and functional but hardly elegant or interesting. If involvement of Marc Newson helps to change this maintaining the functionality, I can only aplaud to that move. Anyway I'll wait to see that design first before making any comments.
01-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #607
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Clavius, do you really believe that Pentax/Ricoh would invite acknowledged designer to design their camera if they didn't really see the room for improvement?
Why so negative about current design? Professional tools don't need to be pretty. The utilitarian style of Pentax cameras is fantastic! Their ergonomics are superb. Many many people chose Pentax for those features. Even very loyal canikon shooters will confirm the good ergonomics and handling of Pentax bodies.

Why mess with a winning formula? Why invest there, when there are much bigger, urgent and obvious matters to solve?

01-23-2012, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #608
Pentaxian

Why mess with a winning formula? Why invest there, when there are much bigger, urgent and obvious matters to solve?
My guess: because it won't help Pentax's sales. When all semi-pro and pro cameras look the same (black & utilitarian) then the brands with the most brand recognition (i.e. Sony and Canon) will get the sales. Competing on specs won't help here. So I applaud the idea of Pentax trying something different this time.
01-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #609
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why so negative about current design? Professional tools don't need to be pretty. The utilitarian style of Pentax cameras is fantastic! Their ergonomics are superb. Many many people chose Pentax for those features. Even very loyal canikon shooters will confirm the good ergonomics and handling of Pentax bodies.

Well, it hasn't exactly been a winning formula to this point. Over time, Pentax has been losing market share. Somehow, they have to make a "hot" camera. Hard to do when you are using the same components and sensors that everyone else has access to. Clearly this is what they are looking at.

We'll see, but I would hope that ergonomics would stay good, even if their attractiveness increases.
01-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #610
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, it hasn't exactly been a winning formula to this point.
- and the best-selling camera over the last couple of years was the "cute" K-x.
01-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #611
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
- and the best-selling camera over the last couple of years was the "cute" K-x.
That makes me wonder what the best selling DSLR in general the last couple of years was. So including the other brands.
01-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #612
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That makes me wonder what the best selling DSLR in general the last couple of years was. So including the other brands.
I would guess the Nikon D40, which was sold as a cheap entry model long after it had been replaced by newer models.
01-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #613
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I didn't mean to sound negative on current design - but it is indistinctive. Just hide logo and nobody will tell the diference between pentax, canon, sony, etc. Pentax seem to understand the importance of being different - they tried that with various coloured K-x's, but that is cheap way of doing it. Still it got an attention.
Proffesional tools don't need to be pretty - i don't agree - just read the reviews on FA limiteds or Voigtlander lenses here....you'll find that plenty of Pentaxians really admire those lenses for they are constructed to look pretty and distinctive.
There's no conflict between pretty and functional and ergonomic - so why don't have both iif you can afford it?
01-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #614

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
They had no a choice.
They just can't make good, compact, fast and simple (to be cheap) lens in 28-35mm range.
Doesn't the DA 35/2.4 count?

QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
Mirrorless is not something I would buy... right now. A nice OVF that actually show almost exactly what you will capture and where focus is is one of the points that made me buy a dSLR to begin with.
The goal is for EVF to do that even better. For example, it can preview exposure better than an optical system because it can emulate shutter speed, making the display lighter and darker. It can magnify the view to show individual pixels so you can see exactly how good the focus is and what the depth of field is. A mirrorless design avoids focussing errors due to the distance from lens to OVF screen being different to distance from lens to image sensor (and different again to distance from lens to focussing sensor). (I think this is what derekkite is referring to.) An EVF should be closer to WYSIWYG than an OVF.
01-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #615

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Proffesional tools don't need to be pretty - i don't agree - just read the reviews on FA limiteds or Voigtlander lenses here....you'll find that plenty of Pentaxians really admire those lenses for they are constructed to look pretty and distinctive.
There's no conflict between pretty and functional and ergonomic - so why don't have both iif you can afford it?
I love the outlook of my old used Pentax K2 with brass coming visible in the most handled corners and edges, I even suggested ones to a designer from Nokia, why couldn't they make similar covers to mobile phones.
Brass or gold plated plastic with a black painting which will come off quite soon in the edges and corners, that would look professional according to my taste
Todays plastic covered cameras become looking ugly polished plastic, not looking old and used nicely.