Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #661
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am excited for this new Pentax camera

Will be an excellent compact package with lenses like the DA15, DA21, DA-L35, DA40, FA43, DA70, FA77.

For those who want the smallest possible body that can still use the same K-mount lenses, this will be great.

This will obviously not replace a DSLR (for me in terms of penta prism VF, AF-tracking).

I hope they would keep SR (otherwise will be a deal breaker for me). I am sure there would be some sort of a VF. I hope most of the body is thinner and only the lens mount are is protruding like my Pentax SLR. I hope it will have WR. I am sure the newly released lenses will AF decently fast, but waiting to see how the current lenses (like the DA21 and FA43) focus.

If it is retro styled body with SLR like dials with SR and focus decently fast with current lenses and sanely priced (Won't be surprised if it is higher then what K-5's can be had for these days) I will get one. But I am sure I'll be priced out (just based on how Q was priced ).

01-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #662
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So far so good. I may or may not buy this one. But sooner or later I'll get one of the iterations (or mirror less FF maybe?) until they utilize K-mount. I even don't know why, but what's bothers me the most here is an involvement of high profile pretentious designer.
01-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #663
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
is this blog trustworthy enough? says he saw a prototype that will be launched on CP+

Mike's CES 2012 Camera Wrap-Up and Predictions | TechnoBuffalo
Look at that Zeiss 24/1.8 with SN 00000001!
01-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Ask yourself which of the following two options would sound more appealing to a prospective customer?

1) A camera body without stabilization but with many inexpensive lenses
2) A camera body with stabilization but with just a couple of inexpensive lenses

For stabilization to matter, you first need lenses to stabilize.
I asked myself the same question 4 years ago, when I was looking for my first DSLR. I wasn't tied to Pentax yet, so I was totally unbiassed. Well my choice is obvious.

01-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #665
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I asked myself the same question 4 years ago, when I was looking for my first DSLR. I wasn't tied to Pentax yet, so I was totally unbiassed. Well my choice is obvious.
Like Emacs keeps telling you:

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Dude, I've told you are very special
And you should know that one cannot generalize from special cases. Don't get me wrong. I am a special case too - I don't care about AF. But I don't make the mistake to ignore that most users *do* care about AF. I guess maybe that makes me a bit less special than you.

Also, 4 years ago, Pentax cameras made more sense - Canon and Nikon didn't have competitive entry level cameras, there were no MILCs or SLTs, no interesting Fuji cameras. There were good arguments to pick Pentax that you could pitch to prospective buyers. Few arguments still stand now.
01-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #666
Veteran Member

Also, 4 years ago, Pentax cameras made more sense - Canon and Nikon didn't have competitive entry level cameras, there were no MILCs or SLTs, no interesting Fuji cameras. There were good arguments to pick Pentax that you could pitch to prospective buyers. Few arguments still stand now.
Yep... First question I ask to prospective buyers is "do you plan to trek in adverse conditions with your camera?", as this is the biggest incentive for a Pentax body nowadays... And 2nd one is "do you plan a lot of low-light shoots and long lenses?", with SR being available with all lenses.

Otherwise, Nikon has some very good products going on...
01-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #667
Veteran Member

Like Emacs keeps telling you:
Emacs is the feminine Russian fellow with the fascist flag-avatar, isn't he? If that's considered normal then I really prefer being "special".

And you should know that one cannot generalize from special cases. Don't get me wrong. I am a special case too
If you're into Pentax, then you're a special case by definition. That's not a con but a pro. The black sheep is always the cool one. There's only 3 Pentax shooters in my 20-member photography club.

- I don't care about AF. But I don't make the mistake to ignore that most users *do* care about AF. I guess maybe that makes me a bit less special than you.
The difference here is that people demanding mirroless have been tended to by Pentax/Ricoh twice over. There's the Q and the GXR with the new comming K-mount adapter. But that's not enough for them, no, they want DSLRs dead and buried within 5 years. But they would prefer today. And they don't try to hide it too.

So, it's 'them' who are not understanding that lots of people still prefer an OVF over the best EVF possible.

In your line of thinking, this would make the death-to-the-DSLR-crowd: "Xtra Special". (Ah, so that's what the XS in the new DA40XS stands for.) LOL

Last edited by Clavius; 01-24-2012 at 03:52 AM.
01-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #668
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
And 2nd one is "do you plan a lot of low-light shoots and long lenses?", with SR being available with all lenses.

Otherwise, Nikon has some very good products going on...
You'd be lacking in not asking yourself why you dont carry a tripod if that is the kind of shooting you do.

Jason
01-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #669
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's exactly my point. We already have the Q mount and compact form. Can't they build Q adapters for all the other-brand lenses? We have the K-mount and dSLR form with a 43mm rregister distance. If we want a compact EVF / ILC why not just make the Q a much better camera? If we want a small K-mount dSLR EVIL to use all the legacy lenses why not just build it in the K-r body?

I really don't understand why people want a compact K-mount camera - by definition it isn't pocketable, the register distance is impossible to work with and it seems to be wrong on every count.

A small, EVIL dSLR - sure, I get that.
I don't know that it will be pocketable, but I think it will be a lot easier to carry with a couple of primes than nearly any DSLR you can think of. Most film cameras weren't pocketable, but they would slip into a fairly small bag/case and that is what Pentax is shooting for here.

As to the Q, the adapters basically give you a bunch of telephoto lenses. The crop factor is 5.5, I think, which means that even wide angles on APS-C aren't particularly wide any more. To me, the adapters are only useful for folks that want to shoot telephoto lenses or macro shots.

I am glad they made it a k mount and hope that it is larger, more ergonomically friendly than some of the other mirrorless options out there.
01-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
it would make more sense to design a new mount specific to mirrorless but making it fully compatible with the K-mount via a simple adapter: say the new µK mount has exactly the same connectors/screwdrive as the K-mount
I agree and it probably is what I would have done too. It is why I said "mirrorless with support for K mount" when I learned about the mirrorless K mount a year ago.

But I'd like to make the following comments:

- The rumored K01 could internally have such a µK mount, we can't really know yet. If Pentax didn't tell anybody about it yet, then we wouldn't know. Then it would just be a K mount mirrorless for the rest of us.

- Down the road, Pentax can always make K01 derivatives with a µK mount. Wouldn't break anything. But it can't go the other way round.

- Maybe, it is decisive (in the eyes of Pentax management) to market their mirrorless approach as one which protects lens investments. Just to appear different to other approaches to mirrorless. And which brings mirrorless-only buyers to the K mount. And this can only be communicated easily enough if there is NO new mount, at least not initially.
01-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #671
ogl
Banned

Russian Pentax dealer says that no any mirrorless with K-mount in secret press-release. But there is something another. The announсеment will be very soon.

Last edited by ogl; 01-24-2012 at 06:44 AM.
01-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #672
Pentaxian

I'm sure that more than one model will be unveiled, so it's possible that your dealer does not have information about all upcoming models.

And, I think it's way too early for Pentax to already inform their dealers. If it's still true then more information is bound to leak out any moment...
01-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #673
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
is this blog trustworthy enough? says he saw a prototype that will be launched on CP+

Mike's CES 2012 Camera Wrap-Up and Predictions | TechnoBuffalo
"All I can say is that you’ve never seen anything like it from a design standpoint."

It's time for me to day dream, lol!

Could a mount be designed for both K-mount and a possible new mount with a shorter flange distance?....for the current lenses the lens mount can somehow be pulled out (sort of a telescoping mount with two stops) and the new lenses can be used with the mount flush to the body. A built-in K-mount adapter so to speak.
01-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #674
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'm sure that more than one model will be unveiled, so it's possible that your dealer does not have information about all upcoming models.

And, I think it's way too early for Pentax to already inform their dealers. If it's still true then more information is bound to leak out any moment...
maybe.... but it's not early - the announcement will be in 3-7 days.
01-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #675
ogl
Banned

Pentax K-01 Kit -