Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My nameless friend confirmed this too
This is a bit worrying...

01-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #737
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
This is the first time in years Pentaxians have something to look forward to....
Lot of people excited about the new K-r replacement...... I mean K-01.
01-24-2012, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #738

Photos: Albums
Weird and ugly are very subjective terms, particularly if you don't know much about the history of cameras -

Linhof 220

Canon Dial

Koni Omega Rapid

Argus C33

While the K-01may look unusual (i.e. doesn't look like current cameras) that doesn't have to mean it is ugly. Quite honestly, the current style of P&S which leads people to hold it at arms length is hardly ergonomic and since we are free from the need to transport film across the back of the camera there is no need for cameras to retain their current form.
01-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #739
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Sony and Nikon are putting whole Phase AF system in their adapters.
Yes, but they are Sony and Nikon. Pentax needs to be dead last so that the users that feel special in picking the brand can continue to do so. Success would kill Pentax as they know it.

01-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #740
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Weird and ugly are very subjective terms, particularly if you don't know much about the history of cameras -

Linhof 220

Canon Dial

Koni Omega Rapid

Argus C33

While the K-01may look unusual (i.e. doesn't look like current cameras) that doesn't have to mean it is ugly. Quite honestly, the current style of P&S which leads people to hold it at arms length is hardly ergonomic and since we are free from the need to transport film across the back of the camera there is no need for cameras to retain their current form.
That Linhof is amazing, German design at its best.
01-24-2012, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #741

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Yes, but they are Sony and Nikon. Pentax needs to be dead last so that the users that feel special in picking the brand can continue to do so. Success would kill Pentax as they know it.
This is why I think Pentax should just focus on being better cameras. Tethering would be big. New telephoto lenses and new flashes would be nice, but the best thing of all would be a full frame camera.

This isn't because we want Pentax to be 40% of the market- it is because we want Pentax to be small and exclusive without losing features.
01-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #742

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
With respect to "no visor a nivel del ojo", I checked the Spanish Sony pages how they describe their cameras ...

Well, the LCD is called LCD, not visor (viewfinder).

The SLTs are described "visor electrónico".
The Alpha dSLRs are described "visor fijo a nivel del ojo, espejo penta-Dach", i.e., "fixed eye-level viewfinder with pentaprism/mirror"

So, there is a chance that a correct translation from Spanish would have been 'no optical viewfinder". That's my analysis. Note however that I don't speak any Spanish ...

But my guess is that the most recent rumor is a translation error. Maybe, somebody from Spain can clarify further...

But it may mean no EVF as well, because there seems to be such a thing as "visor electrónico a nivel de ojo" in Spanish as well.
Hi, I'm Spanish and I'm surprised about the "visor a nivel del ojo", because "visor" means viewfinder and there is no need to add "a nivel del ojo" (eye level). Maybe this was also a translation from another language or means it will come with a non eye-level viewfinder, i.e. a waist level viewfinder.
Sadly, if none of the above is correct but the rumor is true I think it simply means there won't be any kind of viewfinder. I hope I am wrong, though.

01-24-2012, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #743
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
This isn't because we want Pentax to be 40% of the market- it is because we want Pentax to be small and exclusive without losing features.
I think this wasn't what Ricoh was thinking when they bought Pentax...
01-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #744

Haven't caught up with all the discussions (I'm just back from holidays). From the title of the thread is the new 'mirrorless' going to be an FF SLT?

I assume that this would be the case if K-mount and its register distance is going to be retained.
01-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #745
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I think this wasn't what Ricoh was thinking when they bought Pentax...
That should teach them to go bargain hunting for camera companies

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
Haven't caught up with all the discussions (I'm just back from holidays). From the title of the thread is the new 'mirrorless' going to be an FF SLT?

I assume that this would be the case if K-mount and its register distance is going to be retained.
I think you came back with a deadly case of common sense. But relax, there's still plenty of Kool-Aid left for you!
01-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #746

As long as I can take pictures with the thing.
01-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #747
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
From the link: "All Pentax FA lenses will work on the new K-01 with the exception of few models."

What a weird statement...of all things pointing out FA lenses, and even then there will be an exception of a few models?

No VF also sounds strange for such a large "brick". Nevertheless, Pentax has done fantastic with K7/5 and Q (while weird) is a neat system - so I'm holding out hope.
01-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #748
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps they meant the Powerzoom feature on some FA models?
01-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #749
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Turo Quote
Hi, I'm Spanish and I'm surprised about the "visor a nivel del ojo", because "visor" means viewfinder and there is no need to add "a nivel del ojo" (eye level). Maybe this was also a translation from another language or means it will come with a non eye-level viewfinder, i.e. a waist level viewfinder.
Sadly, if none of the above is correct but the rumor is true I think it simply means there won't be any kind of viewfinder. I hope I am wrong, though.
We could imagine a rotative EVF, allowing both "waist" and "normal" shooting modes... with some lupe on the top-side of the body...
01-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #750
Pentaxian

I'm not sure about it being a "brick" but if you think it through it suddenly makes sense.

Current DSLR's still have the same shape as 35mm cameras from almost 100 years ago (starting with the Leica) because of their heritage (there is a space for the film cartridge and a space for freshly exposed pictures).

Strip down everything reminding from the film era, and we end up with nothing but a cube with a hole (the K bayonet). A little Hasselblad in that sense. In that cube is the sensor (still with SR) and one, maybe two LCD touch screens and one or two card slots. No controls/knobs other than a lens release button and a shutter button. When the camera is rotated the viewfinder info rotates automatically. No grip, no battery compartment, no viewfinder other than the built-in LCD touch screens.

So this is a barebone, almost industrial looking camera which can be expanded with several options:

- Electronic Eyelevel Viewfinder
- Large external LCD screen
- Battery housing
- Large Battery Housing for extra longevity
- External Battery holder (for use in cold environments)
- AC adapter
- Small grip
- Large grip
- GPS module
- Network module (WiFi/Ethernet)

The idea behind this is that you can feature the camera any way you wish. It will never be bigger than you intend it to based on how you'll use it.

So a bit like the GXR, but much more modular. When seen in this light bundling it with the DA 40/2.8 sounds logical too; this way it'll still look like a brick and not like a "pack of cigarettes with a beercan in front of it".

Of course, this is not based on anything but a faint rumor.

Last edited by Asahiflex; 01-25-2012 at 12:31 AM.