Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #871
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I may be wrong, but I suspect very few members of this Forum are in the target group for what the K-01 appears to be.
K-mount (there is idea that K-01 will have special K-mount for old K-mount lenses (with AF support, of course, too) and for new K-mount lenses for mirrorless: with variable flange focal distance) will attract all Pentaxian...

01-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #872
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I may be wrong, but I suspect very few members of this Forum are in the target group for what the K-01 appears to be.
I am sure about that to.
01-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #873
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think my ideal would be a LX retro style yet extremely functional camera (ergonomics, etc). I'll cross my fingers that the more weight compared to the K-r is due to metal. There is a reason many people find the new Fuji cameras appealing... quality materials. However, I think this might be an entry level camera, so I'm not expecting it to really appeal to me personally.
01-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #874

Pentax could ever do a double focus system if the "hasselblad look" rumor would be true.
Someone said that the camera could move the sensor to get in focus.
I thinked about it, and the solution is great, but for special lenses, for example with a very long focal lenght, the sensor space might not be enough.
So i thinkd a double Autofocus system, one based from the moving of the sensor inside the camera, and another one, as classic, with a direct engine to the lens.

The double af system could work one each other, in somehow, to duplicate the speed, or in a switchable way, for example
MF - Manual Focus
SF - Sensor Focus
LF - Lens Focus

What do u think?

01-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #875

I'm not sure what could be a good solution for Pentax.
There is a lot of good offers conserning mirrorless bodies, so why should some one buy a new kind of body with same features as existing bodies already have.
I bought today an already discontinued Olympus E-PL1 kit with only 199€.
Also today Tamron and Tokina have made an agreement to support m3/4 system, so I believe my cheap investment will not be bad at all.
Pentax must do something which is really astonishing before they can be interested enough for a wide range of photographers.
01-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #876
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by faglmt Quote
Pentax could ever do a double focus system if the "hasselblad look" rumor would be true.
I thinked about it, and the solution is great, but for special lenses, for example with a very long focal lenght, the sensor space might not be enough.
So i thinkd a double Autofocus system, one based from the moving of the sensor inside the camera, and another one, as classic, with a direct engine to the lens.

The double af system could work one each other, in somehow, to duplicate the speed, or in a switchable way, for example
MF - Manual Focus
SF - Sensor Focus
LF - Lens Focus

What do u think?

I've been arguing this for a few years. I think it's a great idea -- wrote Pentax about it once. Less moving mass means faster focus and simplified lens design. But I don't think any manufacture would implement it, because it would cannibalize their lens sales -- which I think is where they make most of their money. Besides, you could attach virtually any lens from any brand and it would auto-focus.

I think if it's ever done, it would be from an upstart that could take market share rather than lose it by making their lens line obsolete.
01-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #877
Veteran Member

Just for giggles I modeled the rumored 'brick' (in a shade of Marc Newson green) to scale with a K-mount in two different orientations.

01-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #878
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-mount (there is idea that K-01 will have special K-mount for old K-mount lenses (with AF support, of course, too) and for new K-mount lenses for mirrorless: with variable flange focal distance) will attract all Pentaxian...
To attract this old Pentaxian the IQ would have to be better than a K-5, and cheaper than K5 at clearance prices.
01-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #879

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Just for giggles I modeled the rumored 'brick' (in a shade of Marc Newson green) to scale with a K-mount in two different orientations.
Why only two orientations? it could also go on the long, narrow side. Very retro, sort of polaroidish.
01-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #880
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by faglmt Quote

MF - Manual Focus
SF - Sensor Focus
LF - Lens Focus

What do u think?
But what would be the point, besides adding unneeded complexity?
The camera would be much bigger. The lens would be able to focus anyway. All those precision mechanisms would be expensive, and require calibration. The distance scale on the lenses would become useless. Some lenses won't work as they were designed to (e.g. FREE).
Sorry, I can only think of reasons not to do it.
01-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #881
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
the one on the left looks like a lytro camera

01-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #882
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But what would be the point, besides adding unneeded complexity?
The camera would be much bigger. The lens would be able to focus anyway. All those precision mechanisms would be expensive, and require calibration. The distance scale on the lenses would become useless. Some lenses won't work as they were designed to (e.g. FREE).
Sorry, I can only think of reasons not to do it.
I think you've got it backwards. It'd be a much simpler and cheaper camera. SLRs are the complex machines that require calibration to work properly. You'd eliminate the mirror box, phase detection system, and the lens communication for software that would control some kind of linear actuator -- like a voice coil or hypersonic motor. All of the other functions that were achieved in hardware would be virtualized.
01-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #883
Veteran Member

new details from photorumors

Few more Pentax K-01 details | Photo Rumors

The camera is designed by a famous designer
The new 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens is less than 1 centimeter thick and my understanding is that it will work only with the new K-01 body
The Pentax K-01 and the 40mm lens are covered with some kind of rubber-like material for better grip

The K-01 will have an external mic output for video recording
01-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #884
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Haha, XS = either eXtra Small or eXtra Soft (as in: rubberized)
01-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #885
Pentaxian

Rubber-like material?!? THAT'S TERRIBLE!!! I was totally going to buy the K-01 but now I guess I'll have to buy a Sony.