Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only 3 threads have more posts...
is this pic of K30D? 4086 posts
Pentax Full Frame - An official statement from Pentax (they listened!) 2334
Pentax EVIL NC-1 has smaller sensor than APS-C - your opinion? 1096

01-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #962
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
LOL. Pentax can make a camera weatherproof. They can make a camera foolproof. But they can't make a camera PentaxForumsproof!

+1

01-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #963
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Only 3 threads have more posts...
is this pic of K30D? 4086 posts
Pentax Full Frame - An official statement from Pentax (they listened!) 2334
Pentax EVIL NC-1 has smaller sensor than APS-C - your opinion? 1096
Soon to be #3 - New K-01 mirrorless camera coming
01-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #964
Veteran Member

I guess I don't see the attraction of a mirrorless camera that accepts K-mount lenses, unless they do something like the NEX with their adaptor that allows AF on A-mount lenses. Isn't the point of mirrorless to allow shorter registration distances and therefore smaller lenses?

01-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #965
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I guess I don't see the attraction of a mirrorless camera that accepts K-mount lenses, unless they do something like the NEX with their adaptor that allows AF on A-mount lenses. Isn't the point of mirrorless to allow shorter registration distances and therefore smaller lenses?
For me the point of mirrorless is that there is no mirror. That has nothing to do with the registration distance.

A Pentax which is just another NEX = FAIL. Pentax should not do the same as their competition.
01-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #966
Veteran Member

Shorter registration distance gives one thinner cameras. Lenses still might be big. Just look at the Sony Nex lenses. Smaller sensor can give you smaller lenses. Lookhow small the m-4/23 lenses are.

Anyhow, a smaller camera and lens system is one reason of many to go mirrorless.

Lets see if Pentax can give us something that is another reason to go mirrorless.

Dave
01-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #967
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
For me the point of mirrorless is that there is no mirror. That has nothing to do with the registration distance.

A Pentax which is just another NEX = FAIL. Pentax should not do the same as their competition.
FAIL in my opinion is kludging together a camera just to appease its tiny existing fan-base and not trying to expand their horizons.
The K-mount was designed for an SLR. Not mirrorless.

By the way, I agree that Pentax should not do the same as their competetion...but they should also not do what Pentax has been doing for the past 30 years. That has earned them a low single digit marketshare.

01-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #968
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What do you see of the K-r in the K-01?
The rumors of 3 color options and the product designer tell me this is like a K-r. It is meant to appeal to to people based on is aesthetics. It is consumer oriented. While it has the K-5 sensor, does i have the same image processor? I am assuming it is built to the same quality level as the K-r and not the K-5. Is it plastic like the K-r or metal like the K-5?

I am expecting a camera that is more of a compromise than anything else. I hope I am wrong and Pentax delivers a really strong camera. I wish they would actually develop some serious glass.
01-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #969
Veteran Member

I think Pentax is doing just right. What's the point in making a ultra thin camera if you're going to mount huge lenses on it? (Like Sony NEX.) Pentax is making a mirrorless body that isn't too small, that mounts a small lens. The total size of this K-01 + DA40XS combo is probably smaller then the combo of the NEX + equivalent.
01-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #970
Veteran Member

Oddly enough, some people are posting that they'll quit Pentax if the new camera doesn't support the K-mount and others are complaining that it does have K-mount. Geez

It is ironic that Pentax is one of the last (other than the Q) into the mirrorless large sensor field, but if the mirrorless is adaptable to K-mount, they will have more immediate lens support than any other mirrorless camera out there. Not saying thats good or bad - just interesting.

We need to be patient a little bit longer because right now its just a teaser announcement. (and i'm sure not going to buy it if the designer made it look like a bathtub - i don't have many standards, just a few )
01-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #971
Pentaxian

FAIL in my opinion is kludging together a camera just to appease its tiny existing fan-base and not trying to expand their horizons.
The K-mount was designed for an SLR. Not mirrorless.
I disagree. A mirrorless K-mount camera is something unique, something no other brand offers. A K-mount mirrorless with K-mount lenses is also much sturdier than a XX-mount mirrorless with a pricey AF-enabled adapter and K-mount lenses.

Pentax will gain NOTHING by entering the playing field now completely occupied by Samsung, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic. They should play in (even create) their own niche. A mirrorless K-mount camera is definitely such thing. A mirrorless K-mount with FF sensor is definitely a home run for Pentax.
01-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #972
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I think Pentax is doing just right. What's the point in making a ultra thin camera if you're going to mount huge lenses on it? (Like Sony NEX.) Pentax is making a mirrorless body that isn't too small, that mounts a small lens. The total size of this K-01 + DA40XS combo is probably smaller then the combo of the NEX + equivalent.
and easier to hold stable as well
01-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #973
Veteran Member

I disagree. A mirrorless K-mount camera is something unique, something no other brand offers. A K-mount mirrorless with K-mount lenses is also much sturdier than a XX-mount mirrorless with a pricey AF-enabled adapter and K-mount lenses.

Pentax will gain NOTHING by entering the playing field now completely occupied by Samsung, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic. They should play in (even create) their own niche. A mirrorless K-mount camera is definitely such thing. A mirrorless K-mount with FF sensor is definitely a home run for Pentax.
Did Ricoh buy Pentax to expand the brand or just cater to the small population of PF?
Also, something like Fuji X-pro1 appeals to me much more than the NEX. The NEX is a compromise, the X-PRO1 is something that was built from the ground up.
01-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #974
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Oddly enough, some people are posting that they'll quit Pentax if the new camera doesn't support the K-mount and others are complaining that it does have K-mount. Geez

It is ironic that Pentax is one of the last (other than the Q) into the mirrorless large sensor field, but if the mirrorless is adaptable to K-mount, they will have more immediate lens support than any other mirrorless camera out there. Not saying thats good or bad - just interesting.

We need to be patient a little bit longer because right now its just a teaser announcement. (and i'm sure not going to buy it if the designer made it look like a bathtub - i don't have many standards, just a few )

Pentax users are a very odd bunch. There is just no pleasing them.

Patience is a tough thing since it was been way too long since anything has been announced.

Not a bathtub shape camera but a rubber coated brink shape camera.

Dave
01-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #975
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From your mouth to Ricoh's ears