Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #1006
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess at less than a cm, there isn't going to be an aperture ring.

01-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1007

Does anyone else think that the 40mm focal length is a bit odd for a launch/kit lens? On APS it equates to 60mm, a fairly unloved length, especially for primes. On FF, 40mm makes more sense, but this seems an odd camera, aimed at too low a price bracket for a full frame sensor. I'm not saying I wouldn't consider buying it, but I'm just a bit confused where Pentax is going with this. I guess there's still a great deal to find out about this camera.

David
01-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1008
Veteran Member

Hopefully it use this EVF.
New EVF makes it clear: the optical viewfinder’s days are numbered - Imaging Resource
01-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #1009
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Damn, I missed making the #1000 post.
Thanks I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. This place is going to explode when we have something to discuss other than rumour.

01-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #1010
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
In consideration, I upload to flickr. It's a pain in the rear end to upload to one source, then upload to another source.
Yes, you do. You've linked to your portfolio from time to time. And you make insightful and relevant comments. (That's why I included "other hosting sides" in my comment).

I forgot my "Poke" tag (whatever a "Poke" is. I don't use Facebook).
01-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #1011
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Damn, I missed making the #1000 post.
Try your luck in making the #2000 post
01-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #1012
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Try your luck in making the #2000 post
sometime sunday afternoon

01-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #1013
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
sometime sunday afternoon
Eddie - remember my post saying that we would probably hit 1500 posts when we hear something official on this? I'm not that pessimitic eh?
01-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #1014
Veteran Member

we may well hit 2500 posts at this rate before we hear anything more than rumour because it sure isn't slowing down. heck there hasn't even been a partial picture yet wait till that happens
01-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #1015

Original Poster
we may well hit 2500 posts at this rate before we hear anything more than rumour because it sure isn't slowing down. heck there hasn't even been a partial picture yet wait till that happens
The funny thing is that the news had been out for a while on some rumor sites. When I came here to see if there had been any chatter, I was shocked to be find there were no other threads about this rumor.

So I started one, fully expecting it to be merged with some other thread that I had overlooked. Ain't happened yet.

Well, I've been on the 'Net since about 1992, and I can finally say for the first (and probably last) time:

"FIRST!"
01-27-2012, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #1016
Veteran Member

I'm just surprised there is not already a post complaining about the AF,stains, or flash sync. Might as well get a head start.
01-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #1017
Banned

New EVF makes it clear: the optical viewfinder’s days are numbered

QuoteQuote:
For years, pundits and industry leaders alike have predicted the end of the optical viewfinder, but enthusiast and pro photographers have stubbornly clung to them for their benefits over electronic viewfinders. Today, a new microdisplay from French company MicroOLED S.A.S. promises to take a big step towards erasing those advantages.

MicroOLED's latest microdisplay model has a resolution of over five million square dots, with a dot pitch of 4.7 microns, and is said to have no gaps between pixels. That's an astoundingly high resolution -- it's more than double that of Sony's XGA (1,024 x 768 pixel) OLED panel, which we've seen in the NEX-7, SLT-A77 and SLT-A65, as well as the FDA-EV1S viewfinder accessory that's available for the NEX-5N. We were already impressed with the resolution of Sony's EVF, which offer a very sharp image that makes for very easy manual focusing, even without zooming in on the live view feed. With double that resolution, the new MicroOLED microdisplay has likely surpassed the limits of the human eye, in terms of resolution at least.
New EVF makes it clear: the optical viewfinder’s days are numbered - Imaging Resource
01-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #1018
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The thing is a new mount could still support K-mount with an adapter. You lose nothing by bringing in a new mount and a fully functional K-mount adapter. You gain the advantages of a modern lens system and design. Does the new K-01 support screw drive AF? Probably not, we are already limiting functionality.
I am less decided here. It is true, a new mount makes lenses for other systems available.

But a K mount forces Pentax to commit to make K mount lenses work flawlessly. I consider it a major failure of the industry that they release mirrorless cameras before they coded good enough CDAF algorithms which don't need special lenses with less moveable glass to function in a satisfactory manner.

Pentax lenses (esp. screw drive lenses) have a strong enough motor to work well with CDAF, assuming a good algorithm is used. We should not forget that Pentax PDAF uses a multistep approach to focus too.

Moreover, rumors have it that FA lenses would work, i.e., the K-01 would support screw drive AF. Of course, if it wants to profit from the Ltd. lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
That would be a great idea, sure the adapter may cost $300 or so..
An almost 1:1 adapter surely costs less than a Tamron 1.4x SDM TC, i.e., less than $100. It has about the same mechanics and no glass.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Killing that over 0,75 cm is beyond ridiculous.
More like an inch.

it seems the 40mmxs is just such a creature since it's even smaller than a da 40 and rubber covered and not compatible with the slrs (at least according to rumour)
The DA 40 Ltd.'s lens elements are all inside the mount already. Obviously, as 40mm is less than the registration distance and the DA40 uses a rather symmetrical optical formula http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/_optics/40f2.8-ii.gif

Whatever the XS in DA40mm XS turns out to mean, I don't think that lens elements are more recessed than with the DA 40 Ltd.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aku Ankka Quote
This is true to a degree - there would be lower speed limits though.
I am not sure. Retrofocus and tele lenses have rather small rear elements. You could be right in theory for a fast symmetrical 31mm though. However, it's lens diameter at f/1.4 is just 22mm, half the mount's diameter. So, I think there is no real limitation here. The big lens elements would all remain outside the mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I guess at less than a cm, there isn't going to be an aperture ring.
The DA 40 Ltd. has none either.

QuoteOriginally posted by orangezorki Quote
Does anyone else think that the 40mm focal length is a bit odd for a launch/kit lens? On APS it equates to 60mm, a fairly unloved length, especially for primes.
Good catch. For me, it is a sign that Pentax (i.e. Hoya) minimized the investment which goes into this new system.

Hopefully, it uses an EVF at all, my biggest fear (that it doesn't despite its bulk).

But thanks for the link, it is an interesting info. At twice the surface (i.e., at 14x21mm), it would meet my "competes with OVF" specs (3.3MP, 16EV contrast), except that reaction time would still be too slow.

Last edited by falconeye; 01-27-2012 at 05:27 PM.
01-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #1019
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I dont think so. Each type of display has it's pros and cons, as this excerpt from the manual from the new Fuji XPRO-1 makes clear:
Name:  ovf-evf-etc.gif
Views: 705
Size:  53.6 KB
01-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #1020
Veteran Member

Then we could say it is a new K-mount. I guess Pentax will release a set of Chart which K-lenses is compatible. Maybe we would see a new SDM version of lenses for K-01 or probably the K-01 has a built in Aperture CTRL =) and only specific specific lenses can be used. If it would be then, full manual lenses like the old takumars can be used effectively. Just a guess.