Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #1141
Pentaxian

That's ridiculous. If they would tell me I'd have to buy an adapter to be able to use my lenses (and be aware that some functionality loss could occur), I'd jump ship.
Keeping your customers, your main source of income - that's a very good reason to continue with the K-mount.

And using the same sensors as the others isn't something new. It happened quite a lot in the past, when all cameras were using the same Fujifilm, Kodak, Agfa... sensors.

01-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #1142
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good leaks...Like K-7's leaks (made by me too, by the way)...
01-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #1143
Pentaxian

Made by you? Since when did you knew anything?
01-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #1144
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OGL is right. I received pictures of the K-7 from OGL way before the first leaks.

01-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #1145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
There's no lock-in, no loyalty Limiting the customers options is one of the things that has been hurting Pentax. They don't have a full line-up. M4/3 has saved Olympus and given Panasonic a HUGE boost in brand recognition among photographers. I don't see how how either of these companies have been hurt. The flexibility of multiple lens options is a huge advantage for serious users who are not brand fanboys. The company that makes the best glass and products is going to make a lot of money. If you don't think Pentax can compete with Olympus and Panasonic when it comes to bodies or lenses, then your right. They should stay out of that market. Sales of the Olympus 12mm f/2 and 45mm f/1.8 have been very strong. All of that legacy glass from other mounts has not hurt either Olympus or Panasonic. It has helped to sell the system.

Right now, the Fuji XP1 will be my first mirror-less camera. If I want to use a 77mm LTD I'll just buy a K-mount adapter. I grew up setting aperture on the manually with a Yashica Lynx 14e , so I don't view it as problem...... I actually kinda of like it.
It is still too early to know what type of mount the upcoming mirrorless camera has. It does appear to be some type of K-mount since the rumor is that it will take most of the K-mount lenses. The 40mm pancake lens that comes with the upcoming camera can not be use on traditional dslr k-mount cameras. So if the rumors are correct then there are going to be differences and we just don't know what it will be until there are more leaks or the official announcment.

The Fuji XP1 does look to be a real nice camera. I have my eyes on the upcoming Olympus OM-D since I want a weather-resistant camera that is smaller than my K-5 to take caving.

Exciting times ahead leadingup to CP+, with Olympus announcing the OM-D, Cannon announcing either the replacement for the 7D and/or 5D to go along with the Pentax K-01 announcement. I still think the more exciting time will be the time leading up to Photokina this fall.
01-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #1146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grandnax Quote
Click here

A pic of K-01 was leaked from a Chinese Pentax forum, and here is the translation of the text part

2012 0202

套机发售价格与K-r定位相似
Kit price is set similar to K-r

纯正宾得APS-C mirrorless
A real breed of Pentax APS-C mirrorless

随新机同时发布最薄40mm/f2.8镜头!
Announcement of a new - the thinnest - 40mm f/2.8 lens on the same day

另外的重点是,
将发布最新的roadmap,今年三款新镜计划中,

The other big thing is a new lens roadmap will be revealed. 3 new lenses are developing.

终于有了入门级镜头的好选择!
Finally a good choice of lenses for entry-level.
Thanks for the link. Pic looks good imo. Sounds well priced too...now I'd just like to know evf, sr, wr...
01-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #1147
Veteran Member

Looks like the date of the announcement is Feb 2, 2012. That is if the Chinese Pentax Forum is correct. Now how many posts on this thread until the camera is actually announced. I predict 100 pages.

01-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #1148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It seems to be very retro (with the K of the old K series). Nice! Also note the shutter button lock.
I've got to say, the font for K being the same as the K1000 implying a retro design has really gotten me excited. Do you really see a shutter button lock there?
01-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #1149
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Made by you? Since when did you knew anything?
Only about K200D and K-7.
01-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #1150
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Looks like the date of the announcement is Feb 2, 2012. That is if the Chinese Pentax Forum is correct. Now how many posts on this thread until the camera is actually announced. I predict 100 pages.
02.02.2012 - good date
01-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #1151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
02.02.2012 - good date

Looks like we will also be getting a road map if the leak is correct. I wonder what new lenses will appear on this road map. Will it be couple of mirrorless only lenses to go with this new mirrorless camera or some traditional lenses athat we can use on our traditional dslr cameras. This road map will show what direction Ricoh is going to take Pentax.
01-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #1152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Looks like we will also be getting a road map if the leak is correct. I wonder what new lenses will appear on this road map. Will it be couple of mirrorless only lenses to go with this new mirrorless camera or some traditional lenses athat we can use on our traditional dslr cameras. This road map will show what direction Ricoh is going to take Pentax.
I don't think it will give a complete picture as to Ricoh's direction just the willingness to let Penatx go with plans that were almost at the end of the pipelines. This is obviously a pentax/Hoya implementation that was sitting there for Ricoh's nod.
01-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #1153
ogl
Banned

It's interesting if it's 3 lenses with new DA40 XS or without?
01-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #1154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I don't think it will give a complete picture as to Ricoh's direction just the willingness to let Penatx go with plans that were almost at the end of the pipelines. This is obviously a pentax/Hoya implementation that was sitting there for Ricoh's nod.

I do agree. the K-01 is a Pentax/Hoya thing. Most likely from the spare parts bin. Still will Ricoh allow a lens roadmap that goes against the direction they are wanting to go. I am guessing the lens map will be for lenses that will be released this year or at least until Photokina this fall. So I am guessing the lens road map will be a better indication of the direction Ricoh is taking Pentax than the upcoming K-01.

I am sure we will get more direction at Photokina this fall. Until then the roadmap is the best indication of the direction.
01-29-2012, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #1155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's ridiculous. If they would tell me I'd have to buy an adapter to be able to use my lenses (and be aware that some functionality loss could occur), I'd jump ship.
Keeping your customers, your main source of income - that's a very good reason to continue with the K-mount.

And using the same sensors as the others isn't something new. It happened quite a lot in the past, when all cameras were using the same Fujifilm, Kodak, Agfa... sensors.
Do people actually read posts? I said "SHIP THE ADAPTER WITH THE CAMERA". No, you would not have to buy a separate adapter.

And if you would jump ship over a $300.00 adapter then you must not have much invested in Pentax glass in the first place. The cost of jumping ship would exceed the cost of the adapter.

Keeping customers is important, but attracting new ones is MORE important given Pentax's small marker share. Most of these dedicated K-mount customers already have most of the lenses they need. They are not a significant source of new revenue. New customers have NO K-mount glass and don't care about K-mount compatibility.

If Pentax had the large user base of Canon or Nikon, then yes, supporting a legacy mount would be very important. With Pentax we are talking about less than 3% market share.

The K-mount will live on as the mount for the DSLR. It is not going anywhere. Pentax is not abandoning it. Mirror-less should move to a new mount and support K-mount with an adapter.