Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #1156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's interesting if it's 3 lenses with new DA40 XS or without?

Or if they are all XS lenses that can only be used on the mirrorless camera.

01-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #1157
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I fully expect this thing to look like a prop from 2001 a space odyssey, right down to the yellow accent trim.
01-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #1158
Veteran Member

Those chairs look like they belong in the house of Barney the dinosaur.
01-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #1159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Do people actually read posts? I said "SHIP THE ADAPTER WITH THE CAMERA". No, you would not have to buy a separate adapter.

And if you would jump ship over a $300.00 adapter then you must not have much invested in Pentax glass in the first place. The cost of jumping ship would exceed the cost of the adapter.

Keeping customers is important, but attracting new ones is MORE important given Pentax's small marker share. Most of these dedicated K-mount customers already have most of the lenses they need. They are not a significant source of new revenue. New customers have NO K-mount glass and don't care about K-mount compatibility.

If Pentax had the large user base of Canon or Nikon, then yes, supporting a legacy mount would be very important. With Pentax we are talking about less than 3% market share.

The K-mount will live on as the mount for the DSLR. It is not going anywhere. Pentax is not abandoning it. Mirror-less should move to a new mount and support K-mount with an adapter.
I was responding to the bolded part; there is lock-in, there is loyalty; and Pentax must take care not to make their current customers feel "betrayed". If they change the mount - even with a fully functional adapter, which should not be taken as granted - their current customers would not necessarily comply and buy into the new system.
If e.g. the adapter don't have a focus motor, then people could as well go to Sony/Olympus/Panasonic/Samsung.

Ship the adapter with the camera? That means, making everyone pay for it, even if they don't have one K-mount lens?
I'm not sure if this mirrorless K-mount is a good idea, certainly there are technical reasons for a new, shorter registration distance mount. But let's see the end result.

True, I don't have much. Just some Limiteds (21, 35, 70), a zoom (DA* 60-250) and few other primes. Because of this I would jump ship if they would try to force me to buy into a (mirrorless) system I don't want.

Market share when they weren't even trying is pretty much irrelevant; I'm sure the K-mount can do much better.

01-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #1160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I've got to say, the font for K being the same as the K1000 implying a retro design has really gotten me excited. Do you really see a shutter button lock there?
My two thoughts exactly when I saw the partial picture.

How many people on this forum alone have asked for a K1000-D, i,e, a simple, entry-level digital camera with lasting appeal? I'm looking forward to seeing plates and plates of crow placed before posters on this thread.
01-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #1161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I only say that the K7 has more noise but also capture more detail.
The test you're pointing at only looks at noise.
No, the graph shows SNR, signal-to-noise ratio. The image is the signal, the noise is anything in the output that is not the image. In other words, the detail is included in the signal.
01-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #1162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My two thoughts exactly when I saw the partial picture.

How many people on this forum alone have asked for a K1000-D, i,e, a simple, entry-level digital camera with lasting appeal? I'm looking forward to seeing plates and plates of crow placed before posters on this thread.

If you watch those movies about Marc Newson I posted (starting at post 446 of this thread), the guy is influenced by the 'futurism' of his childhood -- which is the 1960s.

01-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #1163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aku Ankka Quote
"Video circuitry" is in the digital domain and doesn't add any noise. Noise is a property of the analog domain.
Digital signals contain distortions (noise) that are converted to analog in the DAC.
01-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #1164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
If you watch those movies about Marc Newson I posted (starting at post 446 of this thread), the guy is influenced by the 'futurism' of his childhood -- which is the 1960s.
Huh. Lots of the 60's stuff is just dated. Reminds me of my mother and father, and not pleasantly.

Peter Max stuff is still OK. At least I think so. But wouldn't a reference be a Spotmatic rather than a K1000? Couple days ago I began to think we're being shown a garden path just to have a real surprise sprung on us.

"Doesn't look like anything you've ever seen before"
What if it does look like something we've seen before?
"Peter Newson"
What if he does something we've never seen him do before?
01-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #1165
Veteran Member

Lots of the 60's stuff is just dated.
To certain demographics I suppose. "Mid-century modern" is pretty hot right now. Crap you would have thrown in the dumpster 20 years ago is worth *a lot* of money right now -- and it's pretty clear this Newson guy, (if the rumors are to be believed) is seated in that design aesthetic -- although with a twist -- his stuff looks like the future as it was envisioned 40 years ago. Right down to his Ford "car" that looks like an east block Trabant from the year 2000.

But wouldn't a reference be a Spotmatic rather than a K1000? Couple days ago I began to think we're being shown a garden path just to have a real surprise sprung on us.
Well the spotmatic didn't have this clear font choice:

01-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #1166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Digital signals contain distortions (noise) that are converted to analog in the DAC.
I'm drawing a blank, sorry. Where is there a video DAC?
01-29-2012, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #1167
Veteran Member

The leaks keep coming!

OMG -- Radical new medium format prototype seen in Japan! No word about when this beauty will be available for the general market though.
01-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #1168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well now, I've been thrown into a dilemma with a possible silver lining at least as far as camera gear goes.. Last Feb, I researched and me and my wife picked up a K-5 (I've always been a Pentax Fan and my wife wanted something good to shoot the kids and possibly start up a side business). So due to recent events etc etc.. blah blah blah.. my wife and I are separating, for now we will "share custody" of the K-5 and gear, but she primarily shoots with the 43Ltd or the 18-135WR.. so I said she can have those and depending on what gets released via Pentax soon, she could have the K-5 as well. So for me I'm going to be on the cusp again.. not really tied into Pentax. So as much as I'd like to stay with Pentax unless things like roadmaps start showing up my old M42 and Adaptalls can go anywhere.. of course I'd put my PK mount's in the marketplace here before anywhere else..
K-01 could be nice.. but more important to me is a FF upgrade path, so if it's not getting announced soon, the roadmap showing it's in development had better be.
01-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #1169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
The leaks keep coming!

OMG -- Radical new medium format prototype seen in Japan! No word about when this beauty will be available for the general market though.
Thats awsome! Looks like a 6x7 format I could afford right now too!
01-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #1170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It seems to be very retro (with the K of the old K series). Nice! Also note the shutter button lock.
I dig the "old" K.

Heck, I'm curious now. If it ever resembles a K-1000, I'm putting my money on it.