Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #1561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Would it be the first Pentax with an EVF? I don't have any of their compacts so I don't know if they have produced one. I'll be happy if it has any viewfinder at all!

02-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #1562
Inactive Account

I find the nex5 too small attached to half my K lens collection. It's cumbersome and I use the OVF 95% of the time. For the masses out there who don't though... if Pentax's goal is to gain market share.... a focus assist function would be necessary in my opinion.
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #1563
Pentaxian

What they are hiding is brand-new EVF technology. Trust me, you HAVEN'T seen this before.

It uses quantum relativistic effects to compensate for electronics processing and shutter lag. What you see in the EVF is the image a split-second AHEAD of the moment in time occurring in front of the camera, so by the time you press the button and the shutter arms and fires, what's captured is exactly the moment you saw in the EVF.

It's revolutionary, and it's like nothing you've ever seen before -- because what you're seeing hasn't happened yet!
02-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #1564
Inactive Account

An EVF with focus assist technology in it would be even better. I'd love to try that out on my K lens collection. Split screens can make focusing better but it still can be a slow process if your eyesight is not too good. Plus... focus assist would do wonders for video while using manual focusing old glass.

02-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #1565
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think people need to remember that this will likely be priced as entry level camera. It's not surprising that K-5 users will be disappointed by anything other than the K-5 replacement.

My hope is that this is very successful and they are able to release a midrange model in a year with WR and an EVF. AA batteries, WR, K-5 sensor, K mount. Just like an upgraded K200D. No EVF could be a deal breaker for me with this product but this is only step 1 in APSC mirrorless for Pentax. it's the future and anyone that doesn't think so probably said the same in a film vs. digital debate 10 yrs ago.

I think everyone is also dismissing how much adapters suck. It's important to be small but I also don't want extra bits to pack, forget to pack and lose (where is my remote?).

the most important things to see will be AF capability, LCD refresh rate, and battery life. If any of these are not great then it will be hard to justify this model instead of the K-r replacement (rumored).
02-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #1566
Veteran Member

I was late to the party. I have been reading the forums but I couldn't tell....is the K-01 a replacement for the K-5 or the K-r? I note that it has a k-5 sensor though.
02-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #1567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I was late to the party. I have been reading the forums but I couldn't tell....is the K-01 a replacement for the K-5 or the K-r? I note that it has a k-5 sensor though.
It is not a replacement for either. It is the first of a new line.

02-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #1568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
According to the rumors that I've read is that it will be an entry level camera and there will also be a K-r replacement. Nothing has been said about a K-5 replacement but logic says that will obviously be replaced with something better since both entry level cameras will be using the same sensor. Imo it's the best of both worlds for Pentax users.
02-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #1569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
According to the rumors that I've read is that it will be an entry level camera and there will also be a K-r replacement. Nothing has been said about a K-5 replacement but logic says that will obviously be replaced with something better since both entry level cameras will be using the same sensor. Imo it's the best of both worlds for Pentax users.
From what I've read they will announcing a K-r dSLR replacement soon. Makes sense to have both a mirrorless and mirrored option at this time and see which one the market embraces. Less risky and also shows that Ricoh is willing to spend the money. If the K-01 outsells the K-r replacement, then Pentax will probably stop making entry-level dSLRs.
02-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #1570
Veteran Member

they're using old Pentax logo again?
02-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #1571
Inactive Account

ok, this may be severely clutching at straws, but this is an enlargement of one of the images, and you may be able to see a reflection of a view finder in the window of this lens...

it is clutching very wildly though
02-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #1572
Veteran Member

@everybody hoping for an EVF (still) ...

I guess Adam and esp. Frank (who released the photos from the press kit we have seen so far) have seen a rear side photo. And Frank said "no EVF" (at his site clubsnap). Unlike Adam, he made an unambiguous statement here. No EVF.

Except if Frank has no rear side photo (which he has though as we have seen snippets) or if he is paid by Pentax to mislead us (extremely unlikely), then there is no chance the K-01 has an EVF. I dropped my hope for one.
02-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #1573
Veteran Member

On another forum, someone has now explicitly said there will be an EVF.
We just have to wait a few hours, and then the floodgates will open, and all will be revealed.
02-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #1574
Veteran Member

The leaked camera looks good. I am quite excited by it - I think it is going to do wonders for the brand.
02-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #1575

Original Poster
I rather like the idea of an accessory port in which various modules (EVF, GPS, etc.) can be swapped in and out. One thing I didn't like about some of the micro-4/3 cameras is that you could have either an external flash or a EVF, but never both at the same time.