Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #1756
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
The same question one more time:
Does that 40mm XS works with Pentax DSLR?
Yes and will sell separately for $249. USD info from pentax us web site
PENTAX - smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens

02-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #1757

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
agreed
I'll go against the tide here a bit, but to my eye the K-01 is a stunningly good looking piece of kit. Especially after seeing it from all angles in the Youtube video. Understated and elegant in an industrial sort of way. I find it very nice indeed, and I suspect it'll be better still when you get to actually hold it in your hand. Seems nicely tactile to me. But then, I rather like quirky things.
I also find that the K-01 might carve its own little niche into the market because it is different from just about everything else. Although wether it actually does so remains to be seen. It'll be interesting to see a complete review of it, as I think it has all the potential to be a very very nice camera indeed when judged by its own merits.
02-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #1758
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
But there was a time when rangefinder and single lens reflex cameras worked side by side. Neither were "pocket" cameras and both had their enthusiatsic users.
I bought Himatic 7sII recently, beautiful 35 years old rangefinder and of course much smaller.

I see the K-01 as an intriguing revival of the "serious range-finder" tradition and I do think that this type will appeal to many.
And where is the second half of the word ? I am afraid, that we have got just "range"

(Mind you: I am happy with my K-5 too and don't contemplate any changes, but the future may well be mirrorless).
The main question remains. Who will buy this ?

Last edited by Jan67; 02-02-2012 at 07:13 AM.
02-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #1759
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Crismo Quote
I'll go against the tide here a bit, but to my eye the K-01 is a stunningly good looking piece of kit. Especially after seeing it from all angles in the Youtube video. Understated and elegant in an industrial sort of way. I find it very nice indeed, and I suspect it'll be better still when you get to actually hold it in your hand. Seems nicely tactile to me. But then, I rather like quirky things.
I also find that the K-01 might carve its own little niche into the market because it is different from just about everything else. Although wether it actually does so remains to be seen. It'll be interesting to see a complete review of it, as I think it has all the potential to be a very very nice camera indeed when judged by its own merits.
I wholeheartedly agree!

02-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #1760
Veteran Member

I'm with you. the Yellow holds big appeal to me. the main issue i have is lack of optional EVF. I spent 2 weeks in barcelona last fall and i can say with certainty i could not have shot with a rear lcd most days the sun was just too bright. maybe with one of the flip up shades or a hoodman it would be good (hoodmans defeat the size pretty quick though)
02-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #1761
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No option for an EVF is a problem, especially with a lack of articulating LCD. Handholding K-mount glass at arm's length is going against the concept of Pentax as a company usually designing ergonomically excellent products. This is a product you cannot brace yourself with using even a moderate zoom.

Other than that, I like the effort, but I do think what I have spoken to will kill a lot of enthusiasm after use. I predict DP Review will zero in on this and knock it down a lot. Under the hood is great stuff. Price point is pretty good at MSRP, but is clearly designed to leave VF space to the K-5.

It reminds me of the early Olympus m43 PEN which had no flash and sold like dogs because of this.
02-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #1762
Veteran Member

That camera does many things just right. I don't even mind the looks, after a while it starts looking pretty good to me. But an enthusiast level camera with NO viewfinder? I just don't get the idea behind that. Built-in would be prefereble, but if there isn't even the option to use an attached one, this is not the camera for me.

02-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #1763
Veteran Member

I massively agree. It's apparently well built, and for the price you're getting a massive amount of image quality and ability. Images should be BETTER than the K-5 with the new imaging engine, and the video gain and audio controls show that this would be fantastic with an external monitor for a little video rig that uses the K-mount.

It's a brilliant camera for the price, and the looks ensure it'll get publicity. It's going head to head with the EP3, GH2, Nikon ?1(can't remember what the good one is called) and Samsung NX200. We'll see how that pans out.

Most likely a huge influx of people will buy into K-mount, increasing the amount Ricoh can invest in developing that FF we all want ;D
02-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #1764
Veteran Member

1st post?

Hi Marc
02-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #1765

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
That camera does many things just right. I don't even mind the looks, after a while it starts looking pretty good to me. But an enthusiast level camera with NO viewfinder? I just don't get the idea behind that. Built-in would be prefereble, but if there isn't even the option to use an attached one, this is not the camera for me.
My first post here. I'm willing to bet there'll be cheap 3rd party chinese hotshoe-attached VF for K-01. So, I'm not worried about lacking of VF though I might not need one.
02-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #1766
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
From DPreview:

Not an astounding savings in size.... On the other hand, we can congratulate Pentax for making the K-5 ever so small....
Aha, so dpreview managed to bring a "side by side comparison" where the mount diameter of the K-5 is 240 pixels and the K-01 247 px.
The same with the flash hot shoe: K-5 85 px vs. K-01 90 px

What the h*** did they want to illustrate with that??? If I were Pentax I would kick their a**...

Edit: johnmflores came to the same conclusion, thanks for the illustration.

Last edited by MMVIII; 02-02-2012 at 06:56 AM.
02-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #1767
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Aha, so dpreview managed to bring a "side by side comparison" where the mount diameter of the K-5 is 240 pixels and the K-01 247 px.
The same with the flash hot shoe: K-5 85 px vs. K-01 90 px

What the h*** did they want to illustrate with that??? If I were Pentax I would kick their a**...
Yep, they are a bunch of muppets over there at DPreview :ugh:
02-02-2012, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #1768
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fantastic new camera!

Hopefully Pentax will make bundles of cash from all the retards that are going to buy it so the rest of us can get a pro level D4 equivalent FF with some decent super tele lenses....

Subtle hint to Pentax... Please a FF next with pro specs!!!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-26.096580,28.015826
02-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #1769
Veteran Member

Nice work Pentax. Beautiful design! Sexy little camera.

I would have bought 2 of them. But no AA batteries is a deal breaker for me.
02-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #1770
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
What gave you the idea this is enthusiast level? it's the entry level mirrorless. the 899 release price with the 40 will be 749 by christmas just like the kr price path.
the enthusiat mirrorless (when/If it comes will have either built in or optional EVF)

For what it is i like a lot about this camera, the VF issue being the one fault for me. an option ovf like the Q one for the DA40XS would offset that (I think that a lot of buyers will use this lens primarily) if there are 21 and 70 xs variants then making an of with frame lines for the 3 would solve a lot of the problem
but $250 for an OVF is way too high - the voigtlander models start at 99 and are mostly under 190