Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #1981
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Don't be rude - it's not my fault that you're not paying attention!
I was not rude. It's called "ironic". If you like to speak about yourself in the third person, don't be surprised if you get irony in return.

I hope you understand that it was very difficult for me to guess that "the resulting combo" suddenly was a combo with a different lens than the 17/0.95...
It may not have been obvious, but it was not "very difficult" either when I was comparing "the resulting combo" to a K-5 with a 35/1.4 lens. As you well know, 35mm is a normal lens on APS-C - on MFT that translates to 25mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
With my EPL2, the resulting combo is 705g.

Compare that to the K-5 which is 661g just body only. The Samyang 35/1.4 is 417g. Even the K-r is 544g.
Yes, I should have made it clear that in my comparison I was using the 25 as a reference. I thought it was obvious, but I didn't have access to the text you quoted when I was writing my reply, just to your phrase talking about "that lens" and I forgot which part of my text you quoted. I could have been more clear, but you could have also made an effort to understand my comparison, so don't put all the blame on me now.

In the end, what was you point about the OM-D weighing close to 1kg with the 17/0.95? That it is heavier than an APS-C camera with a 24/1.4 lens? Or that a FF camera with a 35/1.4? Or that 1kg is a barrier beyond which weight differences cease to matter? Or all this doesn't matter anymore because we're arguing the technicalities of a misunderstanding?

02-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #1982
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was not rude. It's called "ironic". If you like to speak about yourself in the third person, don't be surprised if you get irony in return.
I didn't speak about myself in the third person. If you want to be so smart assed, try to use the right terms...

QuoteQuote:
It may not have been obvious, but it was not "very difficult" either when I was comparing "the resulting combo" to a K-5 with a 35/1.4 lens. As you well know, 35mm is a normal lens on APS-C - on MFT that translates to 25mm.
Yes, I could have guessed that this is what you meant, but there's no reason for you to be rude when confusion arises because you are not expressing yourself clearly.

QuoteQuote:
In the end, what was you point about the OM-D weighing close to 1kg with the 17/0.95? That it is heavier than an APS-C camera with a 24/1.4 lens? Or that a FF camera with a 35/1.4?
That it's roughly the weight of an FF camera with a 35mm f/2.0 - there's really not muched gained by using the small sensor if you mount such heavy lenses on the camera (I'm not sure if Nikon currently has a comparable lens, but the FA35/2.0 weighs in at 195 grams and the Nikon D800 body is 800g).
02-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #1983
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was talking about the 25mm. That is why I was comparing with APS-C 35/1.4.

If you want to consider the 17mm, then you have to look at an equivalent APS-C 24/1.4 lens (not a 35/1.4!) and check its weight. I think you'll find the extra weight of the 17 over the 25 is compensated by the extra weight of the 24 over the 35. Not to mention the bulk and volume of these f/1.4 lenses.

A problem is that there are no equivalent APS-C lenses for Pentax. The only lenses available are FF lenses, which makes the comparison particularly bad for the APS-C side, but that is the reality.

My point was that if the scene you shoot only has 8Ev, it doesn't matter that the GX1 has 10Ev and the K-5 has 14Ev. Both can capture that scene - the extra 6Ev of the K-5 is useless for that shot. You are pointing at numbers as if they would matter for each shot - they don't. The extra DR available certainly matters for some extreme situations and as a buffer, but its lack does not mean that a camera is crippled and cannot take images just as good.
The extra dynamic range is very useful in many situations. With the K5 sensor, shooting just becomes much, much easier.

I shot for a long time with K20/K7 cameras and you are correct that in most situations, you don't have any difficulty getting a good exposure. However, there were an awful lot of times where you had no choice but to blow the highlights in order to get a photo. That just isn't a problem with the extra dynamic range.

To me, dynamic range is the big area of improvement with the K5 compared to past cameras and it is more than worth the price of admission.
02-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #1984
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Pentax K-01 hands-on (video) | The Verge

New hands-on and impressions from The Verge.
Funnily enough when i go down to the comments they are largely positive about the look of the camera (aside from a couple of negative posts) Sure a different reaction than what i've seen on the forum

02-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #1985
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Funnily enough when i go down to the comments they are largely positive about the look of the camera (aside from a couple of negative posts) Sure a different reaction than what i've seen on the forum
I don't quite understand the reactions to the K01. At least it's not both ugly and boring - like the Canon G1-X! (On the other hand, I think the target market of the G1-X is clearly defined: It's all those people that think that anything that looks a little stylish must be over-priced or with nothing interesting under the hood )
02-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #1986
Veteran Member

I really don't care what it looks like. Is the LCD the same design (higher resolution of course) as the previous models? Because when I am outside on a sunny day it is nearly impossible for me to review an image on my K200D. This is likely the deal breaker for me. How am I supposed to compose/MF in that situation which is common while hiking?

The K-5 also has several nice to have features (WR, probably longer battery life, more controls) so that is probably the direction that I'm going. The K-r replacement is also a possibility especially if they bring it in as a mid level entry like the K200D. WR, AA batteries, K-5 sensor. Sold.
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #1987
Banned

I didn't speak about myself in the third person. If you want to be so smart assed, try to use the right terms...
You are now becoming rude, which is unbecoming of your self righteous attitude.

Who was "us" then? The argument we were discussing was not the topic of this thread - it was your statement in reply to my comments. Who else joined that argument and got confused? I don't think anyone pays attention to our exchanges anymore. I won't either. Have fun on your own.

02-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #1988
Veteran Member

Ok, but the next time you switch subject, please tell us...
If you like to speak about yourself in the third person, don't be surprised if you get irony in return.
I know I should stay out of this, but for the record, the phrase "please tell us" is first person, not third person.
02-09-2012, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #1989
Veteran Member

You guys are going to give me nightmares of my disastrous debut at the grammar rodeo.
02-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #1990
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You guys are going to give me nightmares of my disastrous debut at the grammar rodeo.
Grammar rodeo? I thought you just made that up on the fly, but a little googling indicates that such events actually exist!
02-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #1991
Veteran Member

Right ...calling a "Time Out"

The discussion has become a little to personal and is getting off the subject.
Take a deep breath all, and get back to the subject. If the unacceptable remarks/accusations continue the thread will be closed.

Thanks guys.
02-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #1992
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote

Take a deep breath all, and get back to the subject. If the unacceptable remarks/accusations continue the thread will be closed.

Thanks guys.
Agreed. Thanks for speaking up.

We're so close to 2,000 posts. Let's not get it closed down before then!
02-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #1993
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote

Thanks guys.
Sorry about that
02-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #1994
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I know I should stay out of this, but for the record, the phrase "please tell us" is first person, not third person.
Good point. I should have said first person, plural.
02-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #1995
Veteran Member

Ok 2000

Like I said , I like very much this new Camera. Too bad , I do not need a back up but could better for video